• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What sort of bread do you eat?"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I was a bit shocked by the price of bread when I came to Switzerland, but on reflection it wasn't much more expensive than bread from a traditional privately owned bakery in the UK. UK supermarkets have for a long time sold bread and milk cheaply to get housewives into the shop.

I have half a dozen varieties to go at but my preference is what is known as Hausbrot (house bread). Loaves here are sold by weight. The occasional foray into Germany gives a bit more choice.
    Correction:

I was in the local supermarket which has bread ovens on the premises earlier today and they now have a noticeboard displaying what types of bread are baked at what time of day.

I counted fifteen types of bread.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
    Yeah right
    Awright, "young tubber" then

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    When I had my first job, as a wee slip of a lad, blah blah
    Yeah right

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    When I had my first job, as a wee slip of a lad, the office manager (a battle axe in her 50s) announced to the office that she had been diagnosed with a yeast infection.

Being 19 I hadn't a fecking clue what she meant. So I asked her right back what she meant.

Quick as a flash, one of the sales guys chimed in with "it means she's going to turn into a giant bap" before she had a chance to open her gob.

Proper liked that bloke.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    You absolutely have to slash it.

Here's a trick. Oven to as hot as it goes, put a tray in the bottom and boil a kettle.

Using a very, very, very, feckin, very sharp knife (otherwise it catches the dough and deflates it - I use a very sharp long kitchen knife), slash it (if a long tin loaf - slash lenghtways, if a round loaf, slash in cross shape) down to about half way, put it in the oven, shut the door, then pick up the kettle, and open the oven, and pour in the kettle into the baking tray and shut the door quickly; really crisps up the top of the bread.
    The oven I had 10 years ago had some kind of water injection system to do the same. I was putting too many hours at work to do the full cooking bit, but it definitely worked.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Bit risky that? Who'd order a pie that may take 2 weeks to arrive? Or is he going to move to a European country and make them there?
    He may find that there are already Brits based in European countries who make/sell pies.
    He's already here, and has done a well received test run of his pies in our local English/Irish theme pub.

And Christmas is almost upon us. He recently came across his granny's recipe for mince pies and I had a taste of the mixture today. YUM!

Thanks for the link.
    Last edited by Sysman; 16 November 2012, 20:51.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Sigh, another one....
    Is that a happy sigh or a sad sigh?

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    That's nothing to do with your ejaculate is it?
    Sigh, another one....

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I make my own buttermilk. Very easy and you get your own butter out of it!
    That's nothing to do with your ejaculate is it?

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Soda and corn breads are a doddle as there is no kneading and proving. Mix together, slap it in a tin and whack it in the oven.

My mother made brown bread and white bread aka brown or white soda bread with little or no measuring of ingredients. At least I can get proper butter milk here in cloggers to make it with, as the stuff in the UK is like yoghurt.
    I make my own buttermilk. Very easy and you get your own butter out of it!

Leave a comment:

• fckvwls
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post

I like a good kebab, don't even mind the limp testicle meat

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Does anyone know what that cracking crusty bread/pitta is you get in German (ie Turkish) kebabs and indeed as I just found out, those in Belgium.

I like a good kebab, don't even mind the limp testicle meat we get but the ASDA pitta breads we get are well limp and rank.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I'd watched a program on how stuff's made and they were talking about how bread making had changed and the BBC article brought it to mind. I make more bread than I could possibly eat so friends get the benefit, the soda bread (which I do by hand), is the current favourite. There'a almost a Plan B here.
    Soda and corn breads are a doddle as there is no kneading and proving. Mix together, slap it in a tin and whack it in the oven.

My mother made brown bread and white bread aka brown or white soda bread with little or no measuring of ingredients. At least I can get proper butter milk here in cloggers to make it with, as the stuff in the UK is like yoghurt.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    That's because you read this article BBC News - Breakfast, lunch and dinner: Have we always eaten them? didn't you?
    I'd watched a program on how stuff's made and they were talking about how bread making had changed and the BBC article brought it to mind. I make more bread than I could possibly eat so friends get the benefit, the soda bread (which I do by hand), is the current favourite. There'a almost a Plan B here.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by AnnaO View Post
    Cliphead, once you have let the breadmaker knead the dough, do you have to leave it to rise (if so for how long) or is it ready to go into a tin straight from the breadmaker?
    I let it rise in the breadmaker then transfer to a loaf tin for the second rise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X