• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is the point of professional qualifications?"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I've just had one along with all the Tech skills they are also insisting on fluent English, French and Flemish. I'm from Bolton, I don't even have the first one.......
    That one will be in Belgium and they want a local...

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Yep, incredible that corporates piss money down the drain on stuff like Quality Centre or ALM or whatever it's called now, but that's why they demand experience with CrapTool version 6.7.1, and it has to be 6.7.1, 6.6.9 WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!;
    I've seen that applied where I started with 2.2.0 and worked my way up through every major and minor version up to 6.6.9.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I've got no academic qualifications apart from a couple of O levels (no jokes please) and I work in front office IB. I've ever been asked about them in 25 years of contracting.
    Better in some cases than a Ph.D in IT.

No bad habits or superior attitude.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    You Northerners are sick puppies; thin pale green liquid on chips?
    Yeah, and thinking of it is making me hungry again - might go to The In Plaice (geddit?) in Bradford City centre, you even get a slice of bread and butty and a brew with it in the sit down bit. However, I have German cheesy sausages to think about too...

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    You Northerners are sick puppies.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    You Northerners are sick puppies; thin pale green liquid on chips?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    getting back on topic

one of the problems is that if the company hire someone who does not have the qualifications (but do have the experience) and that person turns out to be a numpty then whoever made the decision will be asked why they recruited someone with no quals

so really it's just recruit by numbers and cover your ass....

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Chips wet, hmmmmmmm. That's pea gravy isn't it? Been a long time..... Here you get the gravy or curry or whatever in a little pot!

I went into Morrisons two years ago here in Leeds for Black Peas, without a word of a lie guy sent me to the CD section. They had Parkin though.....
    Pea wet (thin pale green liquid that drains off mushy peas and available for free). And the correct answer is: 'Oooooh, lovely.'

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    D'you want a bit of wet on that, luv?
    Chips wet, hmmmmmmm. That's pea gravy isn't it? Been a long time..... Here you get the gravy or curry or whatever in a little pot!

I went into Morrisons two years ago here in Leeds for Black Peas, without a word of a lie guy sent me to the CD section. They had Parkin though.....

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    My hometown - the only thing I miss are Carrs Pasties - wonderful!

And Black Peas, can't get them even here in Yorkshire....
    D'you want a bit of wet on that, luv?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Bolton?
    My hometown - the only thing I miss are Carrs Pasties - wonderful!

And Black Peas, can't get them even here in Yorkshire....

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Bolton?

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Townleys? In Farnworth, or the old Infirmary in Town which was demolished and became a David Lloyd?
    Townley. The Health Records department staff from the two old hospitals still have separate Christmas parties (pasty and peas at the Conny Club I expect) as well as a combined one. When new staff joined, they get allocated to one of the old hospital's Christmas party groups. Having said all that, I loved it as a place to work.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Bolton! I used to work at thospicle.
    Townleys? In Farnworth, or the old Infirmary in Town which was demolished and became a David Lloyd?

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    I've just had one along with all the Tech skills they are also insisting on fluent English, French and Flemish. I'm from Bolton, I don't even have the first one.......
    Bolton! I used to work at thospicle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X