• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How was your weekend?"

Collapse

• doomage
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    It's harder, I must admit, as you have to knead longer, uses strange additions and use a different process, but the end result is much better, in our friends opinion. We tried some when a friend from NZ come over, who wanted gluten free bread. I think I must have thrown 6 or 7 loaves out before I made one that you could eat. You can also buy mixes, which I steer clear of. I don't like the taste personally, but I guess if I could only eat it, then I'd like it.
    There is definitely an experimental aspect to gluten free baking.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by doomage View Post
    Do you make any gluten free stuff? We are a gluten free household, the bread at the supermarket is pretty expensive.
    It's harder, I must admit, as you have to knead longer, uses strange additions and use a different process, but the end result is much better, in our friends opinion. We tried some when a friend from NZ come over, who wanted gluten free bread. I think I must have thrown 6 or 7 loaves out before I made one that you could eat. You can also buy mixes, which I steer clear of. I don't like the taste personally, but I guess if I could only eat it, then I'd like it.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Ah God love her

My cousin is coeliac and she manages well, there are so many gluten free bits and pieces out there, she shouldn't have to miss out on treats etc. M&S have a good range of things.
    She's fed up with being in pain every day and she doesn't like being the smallest in the class so these two things should change and she will hopefully be up for that.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Took little girl number 1 to a birthday party - will be the last one before she gets a coeliac diagnosis and we have to bring her food and tell her not to eat that or that or that.
    Ah God love her

My cousin is coeliac and she manages well, there are so many gluten free bits and pieces out there, she shouldn't have to miss out on treats etc. M&S have a good range of things.

Leave a comment:

• fckvwls
    replied
    Originally posted by doomage View Post
    Do you make any gluten free stuff? We are a gluten free household, the bread at the supermarket is pretty expensive.
    Not tried gluten free stuff as yet. Haven't strayed too far from various breads and brioche as yet but am sure it would make a decent gluten free loaf and not that dried out cardboard tasting stuff from the shops.

Leave a comment:

• fckvwls
    replied
    After buying one of these years ago, I can only say get you hands dirty and make your own bread; very satisfying, very tasty and now I have sort of mastered sourdough, I am not too sure I could go back, for the depth of flavour in the bread now is unrepeatable from a shop.
    I don't go near the kitchen. I just drift downstairs when I can smell the missus has made something for breakfast.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Good thanks.
    Scored the equalising goal on friday night 5-a-side to ensure our team remained unbeaten for the evening.

Saturday was alright.

Sunday was excellent, took youngest to splash landings and had a great time. When we got back I had to pick eldest up from her exam and she smashed it. Really pleased and proud of all the hard work she has put in over the last 3 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
    Sounds like a lot of effort. I bought one of these

Panasonic SD-2500 WXC Automatic Breadmaker with Gluten Free Program: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

which I highly recommend.
    After buying one of these years ago, I can only say get you hands dirty and make your own bread; very satisfying, very tasty and now I have sort of mastered sourdough, I am not too sure I could go back, for the depth of flavour in the bread now is unrepeatable from a shop.
    I like making bread by hand as well - and it's a good thing to do with my little girl.

But, looking at an imminent gluten free future, I can see a breadmaker on the horizon.

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied

Panasonic SD-2500 WXC Automatic Breadmaker with Gluten Free Program: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied

I don't know if it wouldn't just be another kitchen gadget to collect dust

The one from Hollywoods Book? Haha, we did too, as it happens! Very nice.

Good advice on the book too; almost got the wife to believe it was real, almost. Eldest was straight onto me tho...
    No this one was a Nigel Slater one, I suppose it's meant to be a bit idiot proof... But, for a first attempt, I was impressed with it

Ah excellent, glad it was a hit.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Took little girl number 1 to a birthday party - will be the last one before she gets a coeliac diagnosis and we have to bring her food and tell her not to eat that or that or that.

Sunday, continued building the monstrous tower slide. Am missing a bit and don't know what it's called: there is a long bolt which screws into a metal casing which is first hammered into the wood from the other side fixing to the wood using a kind of four fingered claw - the last casing is missing.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I (actually it was a joint effort after I nearly broke the attachment things on the mixer ) made the banana cake.

Delicious
    The one from Hollywoods Book? Haha, we did too, as it happens! Very nice.

Good advice on the book too; almost got the wife to believe it was real, almost. Eldest was straight onto me tho...

Leave a comment:

• fckvwls
    replied
    I (actually it was a joint effort after I nearly broke the attachment things on the mixer ) made the banana cake.

Delicious

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    make sourdough

Delicious

Leave a comment:

Working...
X