• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "RIP Mike Singleton of Lords of Midnight fame"

Collapse

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    That is a blast from the past. I seem to remember trading between a rich industrial and poor agricultural as that is the biggest profit margin I found and then waiting until the narcotics price fell thought the floor in one system and went through the roof in another and then get a profit of 100credits per ton. Also a military laser meant that you could destroy the police as they came out of the space station before they got a chance to do anything and they did not come out rapidly enough to cause a laser overheat ... fond memories. I only ever got to 'deadly' though :-(
    Relive those memories;

Oolite

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    it was ok, but easy once you cracked the system.
    a bit like elite' ...
    That is a blast from the past. I seem to remember trading between a rich industrial and poor agricultural as that is the biggest profit margin I found and then waiting until the narcotics price fell thought the floor in one system and went through the roof in another and then get a profit of 100credits per ton. Also a military laser meant that you could destroy the police as they came out of the space station before they got a chance to do anything and they did not come out rapidly enough to cause a laser overheat ... fond memories. I only ever got to 'deadly' though :-(

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Yeh. I remember the AI wasnt that good to be honest but still.

I remember you had to pack your armies into the Citadels and wait the enemy out. After they'd wasted half their armies attacking you, just counter-attack.

And the morkin quest method was even easier.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    a bit like elite'
    horrendously complex until you realised there was a really simple mechanism behind it

It was 1984. According to wiki, Singleton thought that the game was unbeatable but naturally it took 2 weeks for someone to prove him wrong.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Thats really sad. Best ever game on the Spectrum.
    a bit like elite'
    horrendously complex until you realised there was a really simple mechanism behind it

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Ah!!!!

Very clever design LOM. All that on a 32k machine, magical.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Thats really sad. Best ever game on the Spectrum.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Just discovered you can play it on PC Icemark - Home of Midnight
    Am quite tempted. There is a project underway to update for smart phones.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Just discovered you can play it on PC Icemark - Home of Midnight

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Sad to hear I loved playing LOM and Doomdark's Revenge on my Commodore 64
    Yes, the Utarg of Utarg with his winged helmet could always be relied upon to keep you in good heart.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Sad to hear I loved playing LOM and Doomdark's Revenge on my Commodore 64

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    started a topic RIP Mike Singleton of Lords of Midnight fame

RIP Mike Singleton of Lords of Midnight fame

How peculiar. I hadn't thought about Lords of Midnight for 10 years. Looked it up today to find that Mike Singleton, its creator died two weeks ago.

That was one good game, and I am sure that Mike now feasts in the halls of Xajorkith.

Working...
X