• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Go Live Day

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Go Live Day"

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    It could be worse. You could be permie.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    It could be worse. You could be permie.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Got out at 6:30, endless bob communications to them who were running the updation. "Can we stop the server now?" "Can we run the script now?" "Can restart the servers now?"

I do get pissed that they asked for all this information in a range of excel spreadsheeets and then get lost...

feckit, who cares.
    Fair play for keepin-tha-heed

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Got out at 6:30, endless bob communications to them who were running the updation. "Can we stop the server now?" "Can we run the script now?" "Can restart the servers now?"

I do get pissed that they asked for all this information in a range of excel spreadsheeets and then get lost...

feckit, who cares.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    If you've joined our .net gravy train good for you

they dont normally work on the implementation thats normally for their partners hence probably why they didnt reply to your email

anyways that aside good for you for getting jnto the orbit of the .net gravy train

Milan.
    Last edited by milanbenes; 26 October 2012, 20:14.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Sap is not ERP? Your tulipting me?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I love it.

The culmination of all our hard work and planning. Sitting here with a IM window scrolling past with all the infrastructure guys ticking things off the deployment schedule. All running to time.

Nice to get a win before I head to the bench.

Is this the first project to deliver on time in the history of IT?

Better yet I heard the ERP vendor sent a formal letter of compaint to Client Co blaming our project for their delays owing to insufficient data quality. I just pulled a document I wrote yonks ago, citing the agreed data deliverables, assumptions, caveats etc. It's getting all "law-suitish", but I think that document might just have blown the whole compaint out of the water.

All they way along I asked for acceptance criteria. They didn't provide, so I wrote my own and sent it to them for sign off in August. Clever suity.

Anyone else going live today? Quite a dos.

Suity good for you like

But what do you mean by the erp vendor ?

My son, in the world of erp this is only one vendor and like in highlander, there can be only one

and that is our very own .net

and if you refer to your erp vendor as the erp vendor then you're obviously not working with .net

and if you're not working with .net you're not working with erp

so rather say, your SME Management Information System vendor

just wanted to point that out like

all the best

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    That's one more bit than you then.
    Don't

Come 4pm the revelation that the data migration had been botched hit home, hard. Seriously working with planks of wood.

Sleeves rolled up and got on with the necessary hacks to bail us out of the tulipe. I of course indicated a rollback was the only professional option.

I've had to do worse in the past, this was only category 5 hacking of data. Still there's one dba more on the bench now

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    It's a two-bit poxy company to be fair
    That's one more bit than you then.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by adubya View Post
    For two-bit, poxy systems* yes.

* excel spreadsheet with, gasp - macros.
    It's a two-bit poxy company to be fair

Leave a comment:

• adubya
    replied
    Review at 3pm. Going live on a Friday is very common.
    For two-bit, poxy systems* yes.

* excel spreadsheet with, gasp - macros.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Bobs doing the release are posted missing.

Useless.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Why if it has been properly tested and does not work is it the dev teams fault...

it should be pulled and re-tested correctly during working hours
    Absolutely no chance I would spend more than an hour on the thing.

Absolutely no chance I would even bother to get into the who's fault game anyway. If it don't work it don't work, I never committed an assault on a member of staff.

I'm sure the permies see that differently though.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    All the time numb nuts - my projects work - it is part of the natural order of the universe.
    Yes, we all know that feeling but it's a new experience for him so leave him to it

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    There are very few testers who test 'properly'; most just carry out a set of instructions written acccording to some vacuous methodology and then piss off to the pub.
    well if the cap fits and all that!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X