• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on ""No limits" immigration contributes to housing shortage"

Collapse

• mcquiggd
    replied
    I know which Tescos they work in.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    You forgot: What do they drink and bath in? What do they use for heat and light? What roads do they drive their vehicles on?
    I know which Sainsbury's they shop in.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Fungus
    What happens to the 350K immigrants that have entered the country over th last two years, according to official figures? How do they earn a living? Where do they live?
    You forgot: What do they drink and bath in? What do they use for heat and light? What roads do they drive their vehicles on?

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    The unemployed should be sent to Poland where the cost of keeping them out of work is far less than it is here. This would also free up necessary housing.
    Good idea. And while we are at it, since our prisons are nearly full to capacity, and their prisons will be half empty, we can send our prisoners to Poland.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by Numptycorner
    The unemployment figure is jobseekers allowance, this is only a fraction of the unemployed. It won't include those on income support looking for work.
    People can come off income support and into work and this will have no effect on the unemployment rate. So yet it is possible for both to rise without any additional migrant workers.

Moreover, If you look at the annual trend you can see over the year
    unemployment is negatively correlated to employment.

If your hypothesis were true then both plots would behave in exactly the same way, which they don't.

What happens to the 350K immigrants that have entered the country over th last two years, according to official figures? How do they earn a living? Where do they live. Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by BobTheCrate
    Careful Dodgy. In these precarious times you could end up amongst a batch of the non voluntary deportees. Carefully selected by a professional Jobseekers advisor newly arrived from ... say ... Hungary or Poland.

Wouldn't that be a poetic irony !
    I forgot to add "except unemployed recruitment consultants who should be sent to Bermuda"

Leave a comment:

• BobTheCrate
    replied
    Careful Dodgy. In these precarious times you could end up amongst a batch of the non voluntary deportees. Carefully selected by a professional Jobseekers advisor newly arrived from ... say ... Hungary or Poland.

Wouldn't that be a poetic irony !
    Last edited by BobTheCrate; 19 June 2006, 16:58.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    At last you conceed that both can rise simultaneously.

I and others here have only been saying that the migrant workforce has contributed to increasing employment figures. No problem there in itself.

But this should not detract from the fact that unemployment is also increasing and is increasing amongst the indigenous workforce.

I was not making any claims about the migrant workforce literally replacing the indigenous workforce. But the possibility to some extent cannot be dismissed.

I was complaining that the Gov't only ever crows on about the increasing employment figures, whilst ignoring the increasing unemployment figures.

What hypothesis ? All I said was that the Gov't only reports on the increasing employment figures and how good [uncontrolled] migration is, whilst totally ignoring the increasing unemployment figures.

I don't think it is realistic to assume current migration has absolutely no effect on increasing unemployment amongst the indigenous population.
    The unemployed should be sent to Poland where the cost of keeping them out of work is far less than it is here. This would also free up necessary housing.

Leave a comment:

• BobTheCrate
    replied
    ...So yet it is possible for both to rise without any additional migrant workers.
    At last you conceed that both can rise simultaneously.

I and others here have only been saying that the migrant workforce has contributed to increasing employment figures. No problem there in itself.

But this should not detract from the fact that unemployment is also increasing and is increasing amongst the indigenous workforce.

I was not making any claims about the migrant workforce literally replacing the indigenous workforce. But the possibility to some extent cannot be dismissed.

I was complaining that the Gov't only ever crows on about the increasing employment figures, whilst ignoring the increasing unemployment figures.

If your hypothesis were true then both plots would behave in exactly the same way, which they don't.
    What hypothesis ? All I said was that the Gov't only reports on the increasing employment figures and how good [uncontrolled] migration is, whilst totally ignoring the increasing unemployment figures.

I don't think it is realistic to assume current migration has absolutely no effect on increasing unemployment amongst the indigenous population.

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    From the link :

"The number of unemployed people increased by 77,000 over the quarter and by 199,000 over the year, to reach 1.61 million.

Employment increased by 130,000 over the quarter and by 272,000 over the year. "
    The unemployment figure is jobseekers allowance, this is only a fraction of the unemployed. It won't include those on income support looking for work.
    People can come off income support and into work and this will have no effect on the unemployment rate. So yet it is possible for both to rise without any additional migrant workers.

Moreover, If you look at the annual trend you can see over the year
    unemployment is negatively correlated to employment.

Last edited by Numptycorner; 19 June 2006, 16:09.

Leave a comment:

• BobTheCrate
    replied
    From the link :

"The number of unemployed people increased by 77,000 over the quarter and by 199,000 over the year, to reach 1.61 million.

Employment increased by 130,000 over the quarter and by 272,000 over the year. "

Whether the figures are correct or not - it really should not be so difficult for you to conceed or understand that the numbers of employed people and the numbers of unemployed can both increase simultaneously.

Is that because you think the population remains permanently static at 100% ?
    Last edited by BobTheCrate; 19 June 2006, 16:02.

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    This is what I and others have been trying to explain, they are both rising simultaneously. Albeit in a hurry but I linked to a reasonably reputable news org, a UK political party and an academic.

They all refer to the increasing unemployment numbers with mention of the ONS figures. New Liebour only ever refer to the increasing employment numbers, which I do not dispute and am unaware of anyone else disputing.

Hart-floot's link looks promising as well.

Can anyone here hazard a guess as to what the **** Numpty is on ?

a) Glue sniffing
    b) ILEA education
    c) Windows Millenium edition
    d) Prescott charm school
    e) Other - please specify
    Look at the graphs you muppet!

I realise GCSE level maths may not be your strong point

"The downward trend in the employment rate has levelled off while the trend in the unemployment rate continues to increase."
    Last edited by Numptycorner; 19 June 2006, 15:46.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Excuse me you and your ilk, would have us belive all immigrants come here to live on Benefits. Now they come here to enter the tax system! Make your bloody mind up! If there are jobs available then they are available to all. But hang on we don't need immigrants, erm yes we do erm no we don't

You are a Buffoon my friend
    I see that your debating skills are rather poor, and instead of debating on the basis of facts, you resort to personal abuse, the first resort of the scoundrel.

Unlike you, my information comes from respected sources such as the BBC news web site, R4, especially In Business, a widely respected programme, and the business pages of the Sunday Times, and in particular David Smith, a widely respected economist. According to various sources we are experiencing the largest wave of immigration EVER, and in terms of percentage of the total population, the largest since the arrival of the Huguenots from France many centuries ago. Net immigration has been running at about 150K per year for several years now.

Why do you mention benefits? I didn't. Very few Eastern Europeans claim benefits.

Immigrants are willing to take low paid jobs. This means that we can fill unskilled jobs with low paid workers. Because the pay is low, these companies can expand, creating more jobs. That is the origin of increased employment.

But some of them also take unskilled and skilled jobs from UK workers. Our local shops are stuffed with East European staff. Similarly, a lot of UK plumbers, electricians etc might be finding it hard to get work, as they will be undercut by Eastern Europeans. That is the origin of increased unemployment.

These new arrivals put demands on the housing stock as they need somewhere to live.

It's not rocket science.

Feel free to respond with abuse and no substance as that seems to be your modus operandi.

Fungus

Leave a comment:

• Hart-floot
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates
    That statistic is extremely informative.

As unemployment rose by 1.5 % employment fell by 1.5%

That proves that employment and unemployment are correlated
    Well it is a Government run website

If you read the text it mentions that the numbers in work has reached an all time high of 28m+ yet number's of unemployed is also going up.

Leave a comment:

• BobTheCrate
    replied
    Originally posted by ALM
    This would require the number of employed and unemployed to rise simultaneously. Is this actually happening though? Do you have a source to back this up?
    This is what I and others have been trying to explain, they are both rising simultaneously. Albeit in a hurry but I linked to a reasonably reputable news org, a UK political party and an academic.

They all refer to the increasing unemployment numbers with mention of the ONS figures. New Liebour only ever refer to the increasing employment numbers, which I do not dispute and am unaware of anyone else disputing.

Hart-floot's link looks promising as well.

unemployment statistics by race and job sector blah blah blah ... The Sun blah blah blah ... you're argument blah blah blah ... UKjack is being sacked blah blah blah ...your ilk, would have us belive blah blah blah... Benefits blah blah blah ...enter the tax system blah blah blah
    Can anyone here hazard a guess as to what the **** Numpty is on ?

a) Glue sniffing
    b) ILEA education
    c) Windows Millenium edition
    d) Prescott charm school
    e) Other - please specify
    Last edited by BobTheCrate; 19 June 2006, 15:22.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X