• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bill Gates quits Microsoft"

Collapse

• Swamp Thing
    replied
    Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
    Now I'm impressed. Tell me how you made your first. Please. I'm not joking.
    Give me your details, pay me a tenner and I'll let you know

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    Your 'next' million?

Originally posted by Swamp Thing
    Erm, I think Bogeyman has the point here. Let’s say I create something that sells phenomenally well. But it needs constant revisions, updates etc. I withdraw support for some of my products after only 8 years, and thus put the onus on the customer base to sort out further problems. Lots of customer complaints all round anyway. But the money keeps rolling in and I become a gazillionaire. Well, I think my conscience could live with all of the former if I became the latter. At least then I wouldn’t have to trawl the esteemed threads of CUK to work out how to make my next million…
    Now I'm impressed. Tell me how you made your first. Please. I'm not joking.

Leave a comment:

• Swamp Thing
    replied
    Erm, I think Bogeyman has the point here. Let’s say I create something that sells phenomenally well. But it needs constant revisions, updates etc. I withdraw support for some of my products after only 8 years, and thus put the onus on the customer base to sort out further problems. Lots of customer complaints all round anyway. But the money keeps rolling in and I become a gazillionaire. Well, I think my conscience could live with all of the former if I became the latter. At least then I wouldn’t have to trawl the esteemed threads of CUK to work out how to make my next million…

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Dalek
    knob
    Perhaps he means that a knob looks like a purple Dalek. It does a bit, but without all the details.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Oscar Wilde with tourettes...

Lady Bracknell:
    a ******* handbag!

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    knob
    Feck me! It's like debating with Oscar Wilde.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Shut up bogeyman. You are making yourself look like an sasguru.

This was Gates' vision of how an OS should be. A real product of Gates' mind:

http://toastytech.com/guis/bob.html

Notice the dog made into in XP as the search "buddy".

Stupid ****.

Oh well, I see you have the intellect of a prawn, sure enough.

You start an argument and can't finish it, or even discuss the matter in a rational and civilised way.

"Stupid ****"

Yeah! Way to go!

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman
    Blah Umm - I think ha ha ha Blah that's called Blah modular programming. Quite popular. Some people even design Blah API and class libraries and stuff.

What Blah should they have Blah done? Have one humoungously Blah talented programmer Blah write the whole Blah shebang in one massive inline slab of Blah code?
    knob

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Shut up bogeyman. You are making yourself look like an sasguru.

This was Gates' vision of how an OS should be. A real product of Gates' mind:

http://toastytech.com/guis/bob.html

Notice the dog made into in XP as the search "buddy".

Stupid ****.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    where the company's thousands of programmers would each develop their own piece of code and it would then all be stitched together at the end.[/B]
    Umm - I think that's called modular programming. Quite popular. Some people even design API and class libraries and stuff.

What should they have done? Have one humoungously talented programmer write the whole shebang in one massive inline slab of code?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    If you knew ANYTHING about why Microsoft products are often full of gimmicks and crap ideas, focussed on giving us little fluffy animated characters and why Microsoft end up chasing behind companies such as Google and Apple, it's Gates' warped techie out of touch with reality control of the Microsoft.

Yes he's rich and yes he gives it to charity, but in terms of his warped view on what makes a good OS or application, sorry he's a tw@t.

Microsoft as a company will do better without him.
    Sorry old boy, I don't think Microsoft is 'chasing behind' Google or Apple! Certainly not according to market share and valuation.

Yes, so Clippy was lame - but it wasn't Gates's personal idea, you know.

Windows NT, 2K and XP are pretty bloody good operating systems. I find the people that slam them know nothing about operating systems and don't even know who David Cutler is.

Funny how a 'warped techie out of touch with reality' built the most successfull corporation in history.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Microsoft was forced to scrap the first incarnation of Longhorn – now called Windows Vista – after a senior executive warned chairman Bill Gates that it was too complex to work properly.

Jim Allchin, group VP in charge of Windows, told the Wall Street Journal he dropped the bombshell last summer, simply telling Gates "It's not going to work". Longhorn was so complex that Microsoft's developers would never be able to make it run properly, Allchin told Gates.

The root of the problem was Microsoft's historical approach to developing software – the so-called 'spaghetti code culture' – where the company's thousands of programmers would each develop their own piece of code and it would then all be stitched together at the end. - Gates idea of software dev, chaotic random development by super geeks.

According to the WSJ interview, Allchin faced opposition to his call for a completely new approach to how Microsoft develops Windows – firstly from Gates himself and then the company's engineers.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Knob
    What's your problem?

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman
    Blah blah blah blah blah
    Knob

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    If you knew ANYTHING about why Microsoft products are often full of gimmicks and crap ideas, focussed on giving us little fluffy animated characters and why Microsoft end up chasing behind companies such as Google and Apple, it's Gates' warped techie out of touch with reality control of the Microsoft.

Yes he's rich and yes he gives it to charity, but in terms of his warped view on what makes a good OS or application, sorry he's a tw@t.

Microsoft as a company will do better without him.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X