• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "the contracting solider"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    Made it in for the afternoon session to a clap from my boss.
    You didn't practise safe sex?

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    When I was first working in Asia and getting used to the water. One morning I actually shat myself in bed and was puking for an hour. Called in sick of course. Made it in for the afternoon session to a clap from my boss.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    From my bed the day after a hefty shoulder op. couldnt drive for 4 wks, but had just 1/2 day off for the op. the following 3 days were drug filled and I cant remember much, but the client never complained!

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I was doing an engineering course in my mis-spent yoof.

the welding torch started to splutter alarmingly and as I backed up I hit the brazing wheel. The torch span around and badly burned both my hands. (true story)

But I soldered on
    You were soldering with a welding torch? Who was running this "engineering course"? Was it this guy?: http://v-demotivators.com/upload/file/421.png

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Is it racist?

You've made a very serious accusation there, care to back it up?

it was a joke mate not an accusation

maybe a few smileys would have added some parenthesis

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    My wife gave birth and then had to have immediate surgery afterwards. I was back in the office the next day, not even a pain-killer.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I was doing an engineering course in my mis-spent yoof.

the welding torch started to splutter alarmingly and as I backed up I hit the brazing wheel. The torch span around and badly burned both my hands. (true story)

But I soldered on

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    I don't like to spread diseases around, so if I'm off colour I work from home.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Broken right thumb. Never took a day off.
    Broken right collarbone, took 3 days off before getting back to the office; same again when I broke the left collarbone.
    Never taken a day off due to cold/flu/headaches/anything else. I work on the assumption that someone should be paying for my suffering.

Oh, did break a few bones as a permie 30 years ago. Took 6 months off.
    What do they call you? Lucky?

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    No, I'm afraid a touch of man flu doesn't count.

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Pah! Right....

I was minding my own business having a leisurely walk in the countryside when an intergalatic battle cruiser descended from the heavens and kidnapped me. I was transported to another Galaxy where they believed that my superior speed & strength would help them win a war against their enemies the Arcturans. After a large battle we just winning when all of a sudden I was atomised into a trillion parts by a Death Star (which smarted a little). My atoms were scattered to the far parts of the universe until the end of time, when the universe imploded and all of a sudden I found myself at the centre of a blackhole. Well bugger me sideways, I walked through and found myself outside the office day on the very next contracting day & was able to invoice for that day & according to my timesheet an infinite number of hours. Ker(bloody)chiing.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Pah! Right....

I was minding my own business having a leisurely walk in the countryside when an intergalatic battle cruiser descended from the heavens and kidnapped me. I was transported to another Galaxy where they believed that my superior speed & strength would help them win a war against their enemies the Arcturans. After a large battle we just winning when all of a sudden I was atomised into a trillion parts by a Death Star (which smarted a little). My atoms were scattered to the far parts of the universe until the end of time, when the universe imploded and all of a sudden I found myself at the centre of a blackhole. Well bugger me sideways, I walked through and found myself outside the office day on the very next contracting day & was able to invoice for that day & according to my timesheet an infinite number of hours. Ker(bloody)chiing.

Glad you skipped the "anal probe" bit in that alien abduction tale.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Pah, nothing I once died but still came into work the next day, people commented the work was the same but after a few days I started to smell a bit
    Pah! Right....

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    after being on crutches for the past week with torn knee ligaments and still making it into the office, it got me thinking "do all contractors sacrifice personal well being for the sake of a days pay?"

what other example of contracting soldierary have folk come across?
    Broken right thumb. Never took a day off.
    Broken right collarbone, took 3 days off before getting back to the office; same again when I broke the left collarbone.
    Never taken a day off due to cold/flu/headaches/anything else. I work on the assumption that someone should be paying for my suffering.

Oh, did break a few bones as a permie 30 years ago. Took 6 months off.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I currently work with a severely disabled chap who is indeed, an inspiration, it may even be MS, and he was at IBM as a contractor. He's permie here, but used to contract, and is simply excellent at his job, if a little cautious, which is a good thing too.

I admire him an awful lot to be frank, for many reasons.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X