• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Mardy

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mardy"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Never had an issue with it, as I wouldn't stand for it from the get go. If he managed to get out 3 4 letter expletives I would be surprised. No kick in the gonads, not needed, but there are other methods. I have never seen this before.

Once as a permie, I had a severe issue of the crazies with my line manager. I'd asked for a pay rise, was told the global conditions, sales down, etc and the answer was no (or was so paltry it was an effective no). I had in my pocket an offer from a rival software house, for lots more moolah, so tended him my resignation on the spot. He got a mardy about it, saying I was a key team member, we were in the middle of a large project, was valued and I was letting my colleagues, him and the company down. Pointing out if I was that much of a valued member, surely I was worth more than the few quid he offered, and reiterated the resignation, telling him company X had offered £X more, so surely they valued me more. He then got pissy, saying they'd picked me from Uni, had trained me, had put me through this and that, etc, but I stayed firm,by this time he was foamingand shouting at me.

I left, and he then came into my office 5 minutes later, matching the offer, but by then I had decided to leave, so I declined.

30 minutes later, I was approached by said manager and he said t'was appraisal time. I sat with him and, despite having an exceptional 4 years with the company, with glowing appraisals, was character assasinated. He then asked me to sign the appraisal. Of course I refused. We then had a 15 minute argument about who was the bigger chunt which teh whole office heard, and we had to be separated as by then we had hold of each other.

The exit interview was excellent I must admit, and the 3 months gardening leave wonderful.

Never seen any such activity contracting, I guess as most of us want our jobs.
    LOL. Excellent. Pisses me off that permie companys seem to think they can screw you on zero payrise and only bother getting their arse into gear when you threaten to leave....

Good for you leaving anyway.....

I had the same when I volunteered for redundancy at last permie job. Suddenly, my review that took place two weeks later was terrible - what a surprise. To be honest, I didnt even see the point of doing a review.

Funny thing was I was on garden leave for 3 months as well but dept had the right to ask me to finish off work for a few weeks. In the end, I had to invoke HR to let me go because dept in question wouldnt let me go (despite being a useless tosser according to review).

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    You aint got the minrals saaaan.

Rescue a pensioner from a smouldering wreck, give the yer missus a good seeing to - a proper one not your usual 3 pumps, do a 54 mile charity cycle ride then see if you measure up before you go taking my name in vain.

You do realise the idea of a charity cycle ride is to raise money for charity. You didn't even raise enough to cover the train home.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    An so that fiver on the kitchen table is mine
    No, just 50p. Your missus didn't have any change this time.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    No worries, Mich paid for all of us.
    An so that fiver on the kitchen table is mine

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Cheers bud, what do I owe you?
    No worries, Mich paid for all of us.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Only managed 1 out of 3 of those this week. Say 'MF says hi!' to your wife
    Cheers bud, what do I owe you?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

Rescue a pensioner from a smouldering wreck, give the yer missus a good seeing to - a proper one not your usual 3 pumps, do a 54 mile charity cycle ride then see if you measure up before you go taking my name in vain.

Only managed 1 out of 3 of those this week. Say 'MF says hi!' to your wife

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I'm too ******* good at this. I played the escalation card but played in a totally inclusive & positive manner (as opposed to really ******* someone over). The guy has stepped up to be our 'saviour'.

A waroom has been opened and they're presently back in the US working through the deployment.

I am Suity.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I've just escalated on some guy, so pissed off went over his head, his bosses head and to his bosses bosses head. He's in for a ******* surprise when he comes in half and hour and has found I've had his entire priority of work changed. Shouldn't have ****ed me about for a week in the first place.
    I'm too ******* good at this. I played the escalation card but played in a totally inclusive & positive manner (as opposed to really ******* someone over). The guy has stepped up to be our 'saviour'.

A waroom has been opened and they're presently back in the US working through the deployment.

I am Suity.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Just had to give the pep talk of my life

I thought about it over night, and remembered what it was like when I was developing and I was always the last to find stuff out, not feeling included in the decision making process etc etc.

So I grabbed him first thing for a coffee, gave him the full story of the project so far, why the specs were light, the challenges that were being faced daily with the business and their requirements fluxing all over the place and what I had done and the lengths I had to go to just to get us where we are now.

A brand new crazy Russian dude. Happy, cooperative and now owning his workload.

Right out of Harry Redknapps top drawer
    I've just escalated on some guy, so pissed off went over his head, his bosses head and to his bosses bosses head. He's in for a ******* surprise when he comes in half and hour and has found I've had his entire priority of work changed. Shouldn't have ****ed me about for a week in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Just had to give the pep talk of my life

I thought about it over night, and remembered what it was like when I was developing and I was always the last to find stuff out, not feeling included in the decision making process etc etc.

So I grabbed him first thing for a coffee, gave him the full story of the project so far, why the specs were light, the challenges that were being faced daily with the business and their requirements fluxing all over the place and what I had done and the lengths I had to go to just to get us where we are now.

A brand new crazy Russian dude. Happy, cooperative and now owning his workload.

Right out of Harry Redknapps top drawer
    You mean you can't even spell and you wrote your specs like a 4 year old????

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    IRight out of Harry Redknapps top drawer
    What - a brown paper envelope containing cash for his dog

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    The Russian fella? Yeah. He's now tickled Suity under the chin and Suity is purring in the corner.
    chuckies

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's like he's got a pet.
    The Russian fella? Yeah. He's now tickled Suity under the chin and Suity is purring in the corner.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X