• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What beautiful car?"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
    I let my son come up with a colour scheme - and I thought he had copied Benetton's Smart car from the early 90's but then remembered he wasn't born then. Every body panel was a different colour. ?? Don't think we'll be doing that one.
    Sure you don't mean the VW Polo Harlequin?

Leave a comment:

• IR35FanClub
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    White is the default colour, the only colour you don't pay extra for. I've actually seen more black than white.

As a indication of colour popularity, Autotrader currently lists 76 white and 60 black and the next most popular colours are Grey 41, Red 18 and Silver 13.
    I've got 35 grand to spend but am too tight to pay £500 on paint. Can anyone recommend me a car that isn't white and comes with free metallic paint? (LOL).

Me, I've decided my next car will be in my own paint scheme via a vinyl wrap. I really liked the look of the Audi R18 at Le Mans Audi R18 TDI Image gallery (2) | Car Information Review - and as it will be on an Audi TT I thought it would look like a cool [or carp] rece replica. I've got a scalextric TT to test it out on. It s really a bit of fun to wind other road users up and go - look at that knob.

Actually - thought here, being a contractor - can I have my own company logo on the wrap (instead of free advertising for Audi) and therefore use company funds to pay for the wrap, thereby paying for advertising and getting a few more point from HRMC's business entity test? I'm sure this is a no brainer!

I let my son come up with a colour scheme - and I thought he had copied Benetton's Smart car from the early 90's but then remembered he wasn't born then. Every body panel was a different colour. ?? Don't think we'll be doing that one.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Is this the equivalent of HD traffic though, or is it just the ordinary TMC stuff?

Do you know where they get there data from? As far as I know TomTom are the only people who get minute-by-minute location data from mobile phone companies.

If they've licensed data from TomTom that would be good, but I don't know if any car makers do that.
    Wouldn't have a clue, I'm in Germany...I suspect its EON, TIM and TMC but its damn good, right up to the minute...

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Checking on TomTom web site, it seems the following companies offer support for built-in TomTom (which would presumably allow HD traffic as an option.)

Renault, Fiat, Alfa, Toyota, Vauxhall, Mazda.

Sony.

(I was aware of Sony option, but think many new cars nowadays have completely non-standard integrated systems that can't be replaced with third-party units.)

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    I replaced Gf Chefs New Polo Stereo with the RNS510 from VW and that redirects due to bad traffic and IMO is as good if not better than the previous tomtom, shame it doesn't have the John Cleese voice
    Did previous TomTom have standard traffic or HD?

Edit: google seems to indicate that RNS510 uses TMC, as far as I know that covers only a fraction of the roads compared to TomTom HD and updates far less often.

I should have asked if you paid a subscription for TomTom traffic information: the free traffic information is ordinary TMC, the one I'm talking about is the one where you have to pay an annual subscription.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 10 September 2012, 15:10.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Really? My Alpina which has the BMW satnav in it tells me the traffic and automatically provides alternate directions prior to hitting any problems (even my old AMG had that as well.) I think people who stick those little screens on their windscreen look silly and I'm pretty sure it must dangerous. I saw some old lady with one above her steering wheel which she could only just see over!
    Is this the equivalent of HD traffic though, or is it just the ordinary TMC stuff?

Do you know where they get there data from? As far as I know TomTom are the only people who get minute-by-minute location data from mobile phone companies.

If they've licensed data from TomTom that would be good, but I don't know if any car makers do that.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
    When I see these new Range Rovers (always seem to be in white)
    White is the default colour, the only colour you don't pay extra for. I've actually seen more black than white.

As a indication of colour popularity, Autotrader currently lists 76 white and 60 black and the next most popular colours are Grey 41, Red 18 and Silver 13.

Leave a comment:

• Notascooby
    replied
    When I see these new Range Rovers (always seem to be in white) I can't help but think drug dealer.

They look completely pointless, unless your doing the Dakar rally - then they look as if they could be pretty handy.

Jag XF is a good call, very classy. 2nd hand Aston if I was looking for a bling car to use at the w/e's.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    Shame it doesn't have the John Cleese voice
    You can just imagine it shouting "don't mention the war" at the top of it's voice.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Really? My Alpina which has the BMW satnav in it tells me the traffic and automatically provides alternate directions prior to hitting any problems (even my old AMG had that as well.) I think people who stick those little screens on their windscreen look silly and I'm pretty sure it must dangerous. I saw some old lady with one above her steering wheel which she could only just see over!
    I replaced Gf Chefs New Polo Stereo with the RNS510 from VW and that redirects due to bad traffic and IMO is as good if not better than the previous tomtom, shame it doesn't have the John Cleese voice

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    (No manufacturer satnav is any good, they don't have TomTom HD traffic which I use on a daily basis for choosing the best route through London.) It's a bit absurd that I'm willing to spend 35K on a car but, whatever I get, I will still have to stick a £150 computer with trailing wires to the windscreen.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Got a GL320CDI, an Espace and a motorhome. All fantastic at what they do.

A big Lottery win would see a 250GTO and a Ultima GTR on the drive, and not much else. Small lottery win would probably see a 458 Italia on the drive, a cessna somewhere and not much else. Used to bike, had a very large off one day, and wife banned me replacing it.
    My lottery win car would be a Nissan GTR VSpec. I'm easily pleased and tight

Leave a comment:

• IR35FanClub
    replied
    (Reply to Peoplesoft bloke.)

Another "mad money" car I've now looked at is Alfa Gulietta. Interiors not quite what I want, but it does have (at 0 cost) an option I really, really want, that no other car I've looked at has: integration of TomTom sat nav. (No manufacturer satnav is any good, they don't have TomTom HD traffic which I use on a daily basis for choosing the best route through London.) It's a bit absurd that I'm willing to spend 35K on a car but, whatever I get, I will still have to stick a £150 computer with trailing wires to the windscreen.

Before pulling the trigger on a new car, if I do at all, I think I'm going to wait and see what the BMW i3 looks like. I love the idea of the technology, but I have a feeling the reality of it's appearence is that it's going to be as boring as any other mainstream car. Nissan deliberately made the Leaf unremarkable, to make it acceptable. I feel something designed from the ground up to be an electric car probably ought to look different.

Not sure if electric or hybrid cars would make any sense for me. They would save a lot of money in fuel and congestion charges if I were working, but if I wanted to save money I'd keep the car I've got. If I stop working then I will be doing 3000 miles a year, fuel costs will be irrelevant.

It's amazingly hard to drop the mindset that optimises for value instead of absolute quality.
    Once piece of advice - go to Avis "Premium" rentals - I'd have a guiletta off them a few times - loved it. Is on my list for future cars to buy (when they get to below £10k). Handless great and on a run to Scotland and back few consumption was acceptable despite me having a heavy right foot. 40 something mpg. I really like the mode swtich between comfort / normal and sport. Sport really it noticeable - just a light touch on the thrrottle gets it pulling like a pack of hungy rotweillers.

They do a few other models too - like the DS3. And some BMWs. much better than a 5 mile test drive. Plus as you don't have the salesman sat with you - you can see how they "go". I've been hiring a lot from Europcar lately and they do the same. There's a Audi TTS in their car park which is £300 odd a day. Hmmmmn.

Regarding hybrids - if you can hang on another year, Jag are bringing out their hybrid. Though I've no idea what price range its targeting. I'm not sure if its a no comprise, whatever it costs hypercar like the XJ220. Or something akin to a hybrid XK.

I’ve also drive the BMW efficient dynamics 3 series as a loner whilst my old one was serviced. I didn’t like it. There was a noticeable drag as the alternator kicks in. Which really spoiled the smooth driving. Stop / start was ok though. I much prefer Toyotas full hybrid – as you don’t notice any transition from electric to petrol or the regen. I never bought one though as I bought with my heart not my head - went for an old shape 330Ci instead :-) Have you looked at the new Lexus Hybrid? I didn’t even know there was one till I saw one at the weekend – think it was a IS200h or something like that.. (My lunchtime reading sorted).

Leave a comment:

• IR35FanClub
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    If I won the lottery I too would buy a Range Rover Evoque.

I'd use it to tow my Audi R18 between race tracks: Audi's hybrid takes Le Mans victory, twice | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews
    I was there watching it, both years ;-) Toyota put on a good show this year, but they got knocked off the track by some slower GT cars. Even at Le Mans it's Hyrids that are where the new tech is. Toyota and Audi hasve taken a different approach. Totoya use supercapacitors and put all poer back to the rear, where as Audi use a 4wd system and put the recovered power to the front on the way out of corners, ive heard some people say it's via a flywheel - others have said electric. Apparently the Audi gets a bit unsettled when it kicks in as it dumps another 80bhp. Looking forward to next year already!

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Got a GL320CDI, an Espace and a motorhome. All fantastic at what they do.

A big Lottery win would see a 250GTO and a Ultima GTR on the drive, and not much else. Small lottery win would probably see a 458 Italia on the drive, a cessna somewhere and not much else. Used to bike, had a very large off one day, and wife banned me replacing it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X