• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "British Employees Lazy ?"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    Not at all, its a family owned business that turns over > 10 million and makes about £100k -200 a year if they are lucky or loses the same if not. I think the person who said turnover is vanity had them in mind.

It has always felt like its on the edge and I think the staff have just become used to it or the better ones have left for more secure positions.
    Then the staff issue is sad for the company. What do you think they should do?

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Is this public sector?
    Not at all, its a family owned business that turns over > 10 million and makes about £100k -200 a year if they are lucky or loses the same if not. I think the person who said turnover is vanity had them in mind.

It has always felt like its on the edge and I think the staff have just become used to it or the better ones have left for more secure positions.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by BobTheCrate View Post
    A perfect description of CUK Membership there I'd say.

Anyone disagree ?
    FTFY

Based on the amount of work hours posting that goes on in here

Leave a comment:

• BobTheCrate
    replied
    Originally posted by EscapeUK
    We have a culture of people who feel entitled and yet dont have to work hard for what they are entitled to. Whether it be benefits or a wage.
    A perfect description of Parliament there I'd say.

Anyone disagree ?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    They are unmanageable. Things that were agreed are done for a day or two and then forgotten. When its later discovered that they have stopped doing it, their excuse is usually Oh I was too busy, or I thought we were only doing that to see if it worked.

One girl tried to strongly manage her department, by creating job descriptions and apportioning responsibility, and task lists and then reviewing in one to one sessions why things had not been done, ended up creating such a horrible atmosphere and felt she was getting no support for getting rid of those who consistently didnt perfom that she couldnt stand it and left.

These are not kids either. The youngest is probably 35, with many in their 50s. Who have always worked this way, have 30 years experience so know better etc etc
    Is this public sector?

Or the Wernham Hogg Paper Company perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by moggy View Post
    Thats just poor management though, its down to them to get them working, the workforce are hardly likely to volunteer it. For every poor member of staff there is an even worse manager IMO.

They are unmanageable. Things that were agreed are done for a day or two and then forgotten. When its later discovered that they have stopped doing it, their excuse is usually Oh I was too busy, or I thought we were only doing that to see if it worked.

One girl tried to strongly manage her department, by creating job descriptions and apportioning responsibility, and task lists and then reviewing in one to one sessions why things had not been done, ended up creating such a horrible atmosphere and felt she was getting no support for getting rid of those who consistently didnt perfom that she couldnt stand it and left.

These are not kids either. The youngest is probably 35, with many in their 50s. Who have always worked this way, have 30 years experience so know better etc etc

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    replied
    Its not chavs though is it. The people at client co are straight out the door at exactly 5, having been out for their lunch (they get 30 mins), which takes 30 mins, then another 30 to eat it. Always plenty of time to spend a few hours chatting about any subject.

But imagine the shocked faces when their manager tells them they need them to do their work quicker. Not possible, we are working our arses off.

So I have automated 90% of their work, but they are still no faster but it has released more of their type for chatting and longer lunch breaks.

We have a culture of people who feel entitled and yet dont have to work hard for what they are entitled to. Whether it be benefits or a wage.
    Thats just poor management though, its down to them to get them working, the workforce are hardly likely to volunteer it. For every poor member of staff there is an even worse manager IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    We then spent the remainder of the 40s/50s skint. Food prices where high, it was tough. As the fifties moved
    To the sixties the youth of the day rebelled against the staid generation before it. The swinging sixties arrived. Liberallism, individuality a sense of entitlement kicked in. Immigration started. Unions became stronger. People started to holiday abroad. Goods got cheaper. By the time we hit the seventies that optimism and another generation was presented with a country in turmoil. The arrival of punk. Union strikes. Lazy workers in car factories. The unions then proceeded to destroy the manufacturing base of this company. Those workers being sold a lie that they were entitled to more money, more time off, more bonuses. The country had gone mad and this labour generation had sown a seed.
    There were some interesting documentaries on earlier this year about the 60s and 70s. The one that struck me most was a bit on the 70s. By then, the combination of consumerism and unions meant that if you "really wanted that new Ford Cortina, all you had to do was join the union, and they'd get you the money so you could afford it". I had never seen it put that way before, but that is how powerful the unions had become in response to inflation.

If you look back to earlier documentaries of the 50s and 60s, that consumerism had its roots in predictions of "Free electricity" from nuclear power (Yeah, right). Not enough people had the equipment to consume all this juice so there was a massive push to put more sockets in homes so they could get not just washing machines and fridges but food mixers, tellies and the rest.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    The people at client co are straight out the door at exactly 5, having been out for their lunch (they get 30 mins), which takes 30 mins, then another 30 to eat it. Always plenty of time to spend a few hours chatting about any subject.
    Are you working in The Netherlands by any chance?

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I'm not sure the drug problem is that bad, however you probably have a point about values, but not just within an 'underclass'.
    Jobs such as warehouse man, refuse collector, labourers...people do these jobs stoned on weed. A lot of the working class are stoned out of their minds at work. They don't just keep it to "after dark", you know. A bong before breakfast is what a lot of people in menial jobs do, just to get through the tedium.

Drugs hold these people back.
    Last edited by aussielong; 20 August 2012, 10:18.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    The problem is the eradication of values in Britain. The underclass in Britain is largely valueless. The disintegration of the family unit concept has seen to that.

The other problem is drugs. Drugs are out of control in Britain in the underclass. Drugs make you stupid and kill ambition.
    I'm not sure the drug problem is that bad, however you probably have a point about values, but not just within an 'underclass'.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I remember a phone-in after the budget this year. Some chap was moaning that "the government never give us anything".

This has become a standard way of thinking for many - the government must provide.

I don't think it occurs to people that we must create wealth ourselves. The government does not do it.

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Hello 2012. Blame your grandparents.
    The problem is the eradication of values in Britain. The underclass in Britain is largely valueless. The disintegration of the family unit concept has seen to that.

The other problem is drugs. Drugs are out of control in Britain in the underclass. Drugs make you stupid and kill ambition.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    It's the fault of successive generations from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Starting with the end of the 2nd world war the country was bankrupt. The national health service and welfare states constructed. The country had come through great adversity, woman had helped the war effort and a sense of relief and hope was there.

We then spent the remainder of the 40s/50s skint. Food prices where high, it was tough. As the fifties moved
    To the sixties the youth of the day rebelled against the staid generation before it. The swinging sixties arrived. Liberallism, individuality a sense of entitlement kicked in. Immigration started. Unions became stronger. People started to holiday abroad. Goods got cheaper. By the time we hit the seventies that optimism and another generation was presented with a country in turmoil. The arrival of punk. Union strikes. Lazy workers in car factories. The unions then proceeded to destroy the manufacturing base of this company. Those workers being sold a lie that they were entitled to more money, more time off, more bonuses. The country had gone mad and this labour generation had sown a seed. Then we hit the 80s. Money! Bankers! Food had become
    Even cheaper. Corn syrup was making us fat. Entitlement was now coupled with a society of easy money. You'd never had it so good. Now the 90s. A consumer led society of entitlement and easy money. Noone wanted to work the state will provide.

Hello 2012. Blame your grandparents.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    True.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X