• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "By way of an experiment"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    Isn't that otherwise known as "having a job"?

Also, don't you have to have the clutch down as well as fiddling to get it to start unexpectedly?
    I hope so

mrs EO will do some experimenting tomorrow. She loves gizmos, ipads, mobblie phones etc

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied

And as for your button; stop fiddling with it and it'll probably go away. Also, don't you have to have the clutch down as well as fiddling to get it to start unexpectedly?
    And in those moleskin trousers I imagine the button is inaccessible.

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    that's stupid.
    You would need to conduct a controlled experiment that included arriving early, arriving on time and arriving mildly late.
    you would probbly have to invent a further category of arriving mildly on time.
    By the time you had conducted the experiment you would be old grey and saggy. And that's without taking all the counfounding variables into effect.
    I mean the experiment, not you becoming old grey and saggy

anyway, you may like it, but I dont like my engine being started by fiddling with my button

And as for your button: stop fiddling with it and it'll probably go away. Also, don't you have to have the clutch down as well as be fiddling to get it to start unexpectedly?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    that's stupid.
    You would need to conduct a controlled experiment that included arriving early, arriving on time and arriving mildly late.
    By the time you had conducted the experiment you would be old grey and saggy. And that's without taking all the counfounding variables into effect.

anyway, you may like it, but I dont like my engine being started by fiddling with my button

You prefer a cranking handle? :

Dont forget to revulcanise your tyres

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I had the opposite problem today. My car's got one of those transponder things where you keep it in your bag, and it's meant to allow you to unlock the doors just by touching them and start the engine by pushing a button. Not today, though. It picked the day I was trying to secure a gig to play up and have a flat battery.

It left me standing there with my house keys, lappy, etc, like an eejit touching the door and trying to get it to unlock. In the end, I had to put my stuff on the floor, and use the physical key that's provided as backup, which was located at the bottom of my bag.

It was at that juncture I realised that I'd somehow lost my house keys. Cue 15 minutes of looking for them and re-tracing my steps (both of them) since I'd last clapped eyes on the bloody things. I eventually spotted them in the grassy verge next to the car, where they'd slipped as I was trying to dig out my car key.

Why is it when you really need to be on time that sh1t always happens? Still, at least I got the gig. In fact, there's a lesson in that; I've been mildly late for about four gigs in total, and got them all. I'm sure a psychologist could provide some rational explanation as to why being late (but not too late) works as a technique for getting clients to warm to you.

that's stupid.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I had the opposite problem today. My car's got one of those transponder things where you keep it in your bag, and it's meant to allow you to unlock the doors just by touching them and start the engine by pushing a button. Not today, though. It picked the day I was trying to secure a gig to play up and have a flat battery.

It left me standing there with my house keys, lappy, etc, like an eejit touching the door and trying to get it to unlock. In the end, I had to put my stuff on the floor, and use the physical key that's provided as backup, which was located at the bottom of my bag.

It was at that juncture I realised that I'd somehow lost my house keys. Cue 15 minutes of looking for them and re-tracing my steps (both of them) since I'd last clapped eyes on the bloody things. I eventually spotted them in the grassy verge next to the car, where they'd slipped as I was trying to dig out my car key.

Why is it when you really need to be on time that sh1t always happens? Still, at least I got the gig. In fact, there's a lesson in that; I've been mildly late for about four gigs in total, and got them all. I'm sure a psychologist could provide some rational explanation as to why being late (but not too late) works as a technique for getting clients to warm to you.
    You sound female, and blonde. Am I right?

I'm good you know.

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    picked up me new car today.

I was fiddling about with the controls on the wheel, when the engine started

if I had been in gear, I would have ploughed through the garage door.

maybe I am getting too old. I used to like it in the olden days, when the engine started when you fckng wanted it to fckng start

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    You daft bugger.
    Stop it both of you.

You are doing the right thing. My eldest turned 8 yesterday.

It seems like yesterday I could sit him on the palm of my hand.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    No. It's because you're a twat, but if you'd like to believe it's because you're part time than that's OK with us.
    You daft bugger.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    no one is sneering around here.

well, except him ^^^

but he has...er.. issues

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Two girls, one just 4 and one 16 months.

Some of the old time contractors sneer at me for being part time rather than staying away all week. But they know I'm right.
    no one is sneering around here.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

Some of the old time contractors sneer at me for being part time rather than staying away all week. But they know I'm right.
    No. It's because you're a twat, but if you'd like to believe it's because you're part time than that's OK with us.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    that's good that.
    how many babies are the OG ?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Fallen at the first fence, by being nasty to MF.

What a bedwetter.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Waaa waaa waaa.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X