• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Be careful Bradley

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Be careful Bradley"

Collapse

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
    It sounds like DA's golf club all over again!

Seriously though, that just sounds fastidious.

I think you are on the wrong thread. This is a serious thread talking about men cycling.

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm Buggeridge
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Well, as an old rugby player and indeed an old rocker who's just entered the bike racing scene (track sprints and time trials) I've noticed a few things that would indeed suggest to me that there's a mod connection, like these; bicycle racers seem very concerned about their clothing and appearance during training and racing. Immaculately combed hair and shaved legs (which is partly practical), colour coordinated gear, immaculate white socks pulled up to exactly the same height on each leg, etc, etc. Some get a bit grumpy when I turn up with the first two socks I pulled out of the washing machine, or indeed no socks. Real disapproval was shown when I wore a rugby shirt (modern tight version) instead of a cycling shirt. One commented before last week's ride that my glasses didn't match the colour of my shirt.

At a sprint training where we basically blasted up one side of a road bridge a number of times, someone made remarks about my 'riding style', which is exactly what you'd expect from a back row forward; sweat, hard work, power, strength, stick in in the highest gear I've got and demonstrate no interest whatsoever in what it looks like; by the way, I was faster up that slope than most of them, which is perhaps to be expected as I'm physically more of a sprinter than an endurance athlete.

At the track, one of the coaches seemed positively offended when I stopped 20cm beyond the point he wanted us to stop, having had to slow my nearly 16 stones of weight down from about 40 mph. Yes, it takes longer for me to stop than others who weigh 5 stones less.

So I certainly see an emphasis on 'style' and appearance, but on the up side there are some members of the club who seem to appreciate my no-nonsense approach to the whole thing and I'm enjoying it all.
    It sounds like DA's golf club all over again!

Seriously though, that just sounds fastidious.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigD
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    14:15. He must be pretty good if he thinks it's a doddle to win an Olympic gold medal and has won the Tour de France 2012, but is this enough that we can disregard his sideburns? Surely this is always something to be suspicious about.
    It's OK - I read somewhere he greases his sideburns for races so as to reduce aerodynamic drag.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Yes, that's the only connection I could think of.
    Well, as an old rugby player and indeed an old rocker who's just entered the bike racing scene (track sprints and time trials) I've noticed a few things that would indeed suggest to me that there's a mod connection, like these; bicycle racers seem very concerned about their clothing and appearance during training and racing. Immaculately combed hair and shaved legs (which is partly practical), colour coordinated gear, immaculate white socks pulled up to exactly the same height on each leg, etc, etc. Some get a bit grumpy when I turn up with the first two socks I pulled out of the washing machine, or indeed no socks. Real disapproval was shown when I wore a rugby shirt (modern tight version) instead of a cycling shirt. One commented before last week's ride that my glasses didn't match the colour of my shirt.

At a sprint training where we basically blasted up one side of a road bridge a number of times, someone made remarks about my 'riding style', which is exactly what you'd expect from a back row forward; sweat, hard work, power, strength, stick in in the highest gear I've got and demonstrate no interest whatsoever in what it looks like; by the way, I was faster up that slope than most of them, which is perhaps to be expected as I'm physically more of a sprinter than an endurance athlete.

At the track, one of the coaches seemed positively offended when I stopped 20cm beyond the point he wanted us to stop, having had to slow my nearly 16 stones of weight down from about 40 mph. Yes, it takes longer for me to stop than others who weigh 5 stones less.

So I certainly see an emphasis on 'style' and appearance, but on the up side there are some members of the club who seem to appreciate my no-nonsense approach to the whole thing and I'm enjoying it all.

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm Buggeridge
    replied
    Was he referring to this ?

Yes, that's the only connection I could think of.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    He is a mod. That leaves a bit if a nasty taste in the mouth for an old rocker like yours truly.

There was an incredibly pretentious article written by Robert Elms on the BBC the other day talking about what it means to be a mod and how Wiggins fits that mould. "There has always been a cycling crossover in the mod scene" - What the hell? When did you last see a cyclist in a parka?
    Was he referring to this ?

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm Buggeridge
    replied
    He is a mod. That leaves a bit if a nasty taste in the mouth for an old rocker like yours truly.

There was an incredibly pretentious article written by Robert Elms on the BBC the other day talking about what it means to be a mod and how Wiggins fits that mould. "There has always been a cycling crossover in the mod scene" - What the hell? When did you last see a cyclist in a parka?

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Cant miss this one. Go wiggo go !! He is my favourite sportsman at the moment and deserves a gold.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    He starts at 3:07
    Chris Froome goes at 3:00

Good luck guys.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Bleeding' hell you're quick.
    Well seeing as there's sod all to do here and I'm leaving anyway, I'm not likely to miss much on CUK.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    bog off

Bleeding' hell you're quick.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I bet Mich would.
    bog off

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I bet you wouldn't kiss his sideburns.
    I bet Mich would.

Leave a comment:

• Basil Fawlty
    replied
    I think this is probably just mind games for his opponents. Love his confidence though...

Here Wiggo
    Here Wiggo
    Here Wiggo !

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    I think he's quite cute, sideburns and all.
    I bet you wouldn't kiss his sideburns.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X