• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why can't the IMF just fook off?"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Certainly the banks bad debts need to be written off and splitting the retail/IB arms. But before banks will start to lend there needs to be a return of confidence.
    They don't want to lend to local businesses because even if 100% of loans returned with 10% profit it's fook all compared with money they can make on FOREX or massive overdraft charges.

Why loan money to business when you can use same money on commodities markets that are liquid? Only when banks of any kind are not able to "invest" into such things they'll consider putting money into loans to businesses.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    So 3rd world countries ruin their own economies and it is the IMF who are at fault?
    IMF has no credibility in my eyes because they are typically too late with suggestions that are obvious in nature but very hard to implement in practice.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    So we have the IMF to blame do we?
    Absolutely

Leave a comment:

• BS1397
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    He's right. I think we should put Tibetan monks in charge of banks.
    For a second I thought you were going to suggest "Scientology" with Tom Cruise in charge of the mission.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    No so much written of but they should be allowed to fail like any other business. Take the fu2£ers to court and get the mony back from the directors sell the assets.
    Creditors would only get 1p in the pound, if that.

Who are those creditors? Are they deserving of such treatment?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Although bankers have a great deal to answer for, i am bored with hearing the constant moaning from people who either borrowed money, enjoyed well paid jobs etc etc all thanks to the easy borrowing years.
    This is a harsh but fair point.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Although bankers have a great deal to answer for, i am bored with hearing the constant moaning from people who either borrowed money, enjoyed well paid jobs etc etc all thanks to the easy borrowing years.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Debt crisis: UK housing slump will deepen, warns IMF

The IMF get there in the end, but they must try to make more of an effort not to be 10 years late in their prognostications.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Certainly the banks bad debts need to be written off and splitting the retail/IB arms. But before banks will start to lend there needs to be a return of confidence.

I don't believe government should ever be involved in business.
    No so much written of but they should be allowed to fail like any other business. Take the fu2£ers to court and get the mony back from the directors sell the assets.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    The only way out is to nationalise all banks and split them up into several small banks that can be sold off. Banks that fail will then not be too big to fail.

I don't believe government should ever be involved in business.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Plan A seems to involve an economy based on printing money, so what plan B does the IMF have in mind?
    The IMF will become the World Central Bank however it is based on funny money.
    When money was gold, it was the only time real money existed. Gold reserves have diminished and the US will not even allow international inspection. It is possible that the US only has 10% of what it claims and gold that it has been looking after on behalf of other countries has been sold. Du Gaul was the only sensible leader who took his from the USA when the going was good.
    Money sort of worked when it became paper based on assets but know money is debt ie: The banks sell each other debt packages that they apply a value to. To borrow from the IMF is in fact purchasing debt packages from the IMF. The banks are in total control and the heads of government haven’t a clue on how to act.
    The only way out is to nationalise all banks and split them up into several small banks that can be sold off. Banks that fail will then not be too big to fail.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Anyone see "This Week" last night, when Portillo said a whole generation of bankers should be culled and the Bank Of England should be run by a foreigner? I was , but the programme continued as if he had remarked on the weather.
    He's right. I think we should put Tibetan monks in charge of banks.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Anyone see "This Week" last night, when Portillo said a whole generation of bankers should be culled and the Bank Of England should be run by a foreigner? I was , but the programme continued as if he had remarked on the weather.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Well, IMF was very good at ruining 3rd world countries like Russia in 1998, and before that crisis in Asia until nobody started listening to them - it's only fair they give same medicine to the western countries now

Oh wait, I am here now!
    So 3rd world countries ruin their own economies and it is the IMF who are at fault?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Plan A seems to involve an economy based on printing money, so what plan B does the IMF have in mind?
    Get somebody else to print money.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X