• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Olympics - Under budget? Nope..."

Collapse

• david909
    replied
    I heard they are spending 27 million just on the opening ceremony complete with rain and farm animals

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Our kids wanted to go. I would have preferred to have been sliced in my testicles, repeatedly, with rusty used Gillette GII's, so we have bribed them with 6 weeks in France so we can avoid the whole shebang.
    Right, who owns this zoomer?

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Olympic legacy, kids and all that...
    Our kids wanted to go. I would have preferred to have been sliced in my testicles, repeatedly, with rusty used Gillette GII's, so we have bribed them with 6 weeks in France so we can avoid the whole shebang.

I couldn't imagine anything worse, than a weekend/weekday in an already crammed full to busting capital, with millions more people and, allegedly, more sun, using an antiquated infrastructure.

Enjoy though, just not my bag. £150? Sheesh

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I was think of ordering several tonnes of horse manure and getting delivered to the stadium on night before opening.
    It's easier to move ceremony to the Stadium of Dreams.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    They made massive savings by only using a few goats and cows for the opening ceremony.

HTH
    I was think of ordering several tonnes of horse manure and getting delivered to the stadium on night before opening.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    You actually bought some tickets?

Olympic legacy, kids and all that...

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Probably explains why my Olympics swimming tickets are costing £150 a pop.
    You actually bought some tickets?

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    The games were never going to come in under budget. A couple of months ago an IOC official was on LBC and admitted the budget submitted in the hosting bid was deliberately low (ie as a loss leader) so as to ensure cost didn't blow out the London bid.

Probably explains why my Olympics swimming tickets are costing £150 a pop.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Meh, if they dont waste it one way they'll waste it another.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    I know, this really tickled me. It's akin to listening to IMF for financial advice....
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    They made massive savings by only using a few goats and cows for the opening ceremony.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I know, this really tickled me. It's akin to listening to MF for financial advice....

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    started a topic Olympics - Under budget? Nope...

Olympics - Under budget? Nope...

But if you spin it right... BBC News - London Olympics 'to come in £476m under budget'

The £9.3bn budget, which included a £2bn contingency, was set in 2007 and was almost four times the estimated cost at the time London bid in 2005.

The budget was revised upwards after taking into account previously overlooked costs such as VAT, increased security costs, and an expanded brief for the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) to regenerate the lower Lea Valley area.
    So, £476m remains of the contingency, you know, there for risk and emergencies... I.e. not part of the actual budget. And this was AFTER they increased it four-fold from the original bid estimate...

If i managed budgets in this manner, my client would have me off site before he could get his shoe back from up my backside!

Working...
X