• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "House sales down 40pc since property boom"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Have you considered branching into estate agent business?

I think you'd do well...

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied

Chancellor Alistair Darling said: "It is now more than 20 years since moving house replaced coal mining as this country's chief economic activity."

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Why is the economy linked to housing SALES? Why is there never mention of the booming rental market out there?
    Government Orders Everyone To Move House

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Different issues
    If a non-spouse is left a property worth say £625K, then they must pay death duty at 40% on the value over £325K, which is 0.4 * 300K, i.e. 120K.

If they are skint (which is what I was referring to) then they must sell the property one way or another immediately, to raise the cash.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Why is the economy linked to housing SALES? Why is there never mention of the booming rental market out there?
    The only way I can think of it being linked is the more people pay for over priced property and or rentals the less they actually have to spend in the actual economy, it also means people demand higher wages making us uncompetitive as a nation.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Cannot see me moving for at least 15 years.

( Unless I get kicked out of course )

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    People selling bequeathed properties, where insufficient funds are otherwise available to pay death duty?
    And law's of average would state most of the people dying would be of an older generation who's houses are already paid off
    Different issues

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    A 10 year tactical solution?

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    People selling bequeathed properties, where insufficient funds are otherwise available to pay death duty?
    I have a bungalow I was going to sell. It was going to be marketed at offers £300-325k. A similar, if somewhat dated, bungalow came on at 300k, within month was at 275, then offers over 250 which it finally sold for. This was a bequeathed property where the kids just wanted the money. Killed stone dead the local market as everyone who was selling houses all pulled out.

It really does affect a local market.

A friend has also sold his house, for a fair price he assures me, and now finds out the amount he will be loaned for the new house, has been reduced.

Starting to squeeze out there.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    And law's of average would state most of the people dying would be of an older generation who's houses are already paid off

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    You really don't get it do you?

Prices only fall massively if people are FORCED to sell at a loss. And since the banks are letting people take payment holidays and extend the mortgage period rather than default to protect their balance sheets, who is going to sell at a loss?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    No I am still renting a flat for tactical reasons
    A 10 year tactical solution?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    It is the only thing we have left economy wise.
    If the people I talk to on Facebook or Twitter are anything like representative of the country as a whole their is an underground economy of cupcake makers who should be paying HMRC!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Why is the economy linked to housing
    It is the only thing we have left economy wise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X