• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Where would you be without your Flash-Matic?"

Collapse

• moggy
    replied
    thought this thread was about being with out your flash mac. (eternal optimist style)

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I invented the remote control and designed a long pole with a piece of rubber on the end.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Probably cost and size. IR frequencies are pretty easy to get in and out of semiconductors e.g. diodes & photocells, and these components are cheap and small whereas suitable radio equipment is fairly bulky and even today much more expensive.
    I hate it when I have to lift my arm up, point the thing down and wiggle it around till I can change channels. it's so tiring

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I sometimes wonder (and wished) why TV remotes can't use radio waves rather than infrared, as the former travels better through bed sheets etc. Still, with the rise of the smartphone that will no doubt be the future.
    Probably cost and size. IR frequencies are pretty easy to get in and out of semiconductors e.g. diodes & photocells, and these components are cheap and small whereas suitable radio equipment is fairly bulky and even today much more expensive.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I sometimes wonder (and wished) why TV remotes can't use radio waves rather than infrared, as the former travels better through bed sheets etc. Still, with the rise of the smartphone that will no doubt be the future.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    If ms doodab has left the remote on the table I have to walk past the TV to get it so I often use the buttons on the side of the telly instead.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    My nans first remote plugged into the TV when you didn't need it, my granddad insisted on leaving it in the TV to save on batteries.

There was an early Sony sonic remote that had 2 buttons, if you did a loud 'SShusssh' the TV would mute.

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    But that was 1956. The Flash-Matic was a year earlier - it's the future I tells yar

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    You need remote control on a wire, really.

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    started a topic Where would you be without your Flash-Matic?

Where would you be without your Flash-Matic?

It all started in 1955

The inventor of the television remote control has died at the age of 96, his former employer has said.

Zenith Electronics said Eugene Polley passed away of natural causes on Sunday at a Chicago hospital.

His 1955 invention, Flash-Matic, pointed a beam of light at photo cells on each corner of the TV, turning it off and on and changing the channels.

RIP

Working...
X