• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Good to see Greece has its priorities right"

Collapse

• original PM
    replied
    On a similar subject - looking to take the family on holiday last 2 weeks in August and Rhodes seems to be coming up as a good destination in terms of cost etc

a good idea or a bit of a gamble given current situation??

or will they just be happy with my tourist dollars seeing as Greece's economy is mainly tourist based?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I am pleased that Greeks fight for their future rather than giving up only to make themselves worse off whilst allowing some hedge funds to make a killing on their misery.
    It is not a question of fighting for the future it is a question of understanding and dealing with the situation they are in.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    G

Okay - not just the Greeks then. Everyone who ever thought that the Euro was a good idea should be bought to justice.
    Does that mean we have to hang Milanbenes ?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    and if Greece do drop out of the Euro and in 6 months time the Drachma (or whatever they decide to use) is a 'viable' currency then we would expect to see Portugal and Italy go the same way.

Probably!
    That all depends. Rumour is the Germany want Greece out - then they will start up the printing presses to save the rest. If that is true they will have to move very very fast to keep ahead of the markets.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    and if Greece do drop out of the Euro and in 6 months time the Drachma (or whatever they decide to use) is a 'viable' currency then we would expect to see Portugal and Italy go the same way.

Probably!

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied

Okay - not just the Greeks then. Everyone who ever thought that the Euro was a good idea should be bought to justice.
    The Euro was certainly a good idea for Germany; every other country in Europe is either Germany's or America's serf and who cares what is good for the serfs!
    are going to a new currency. And the longer it takes the worse it will be.
    Any other currency than gold is destined to fail. If they were clever they should default but stay in the Eurozone, renegotiating.

Again I think you are confusing economic failure with monetary failure. In the case of Greece the two coexist but not in the case of Germany.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    They won't, and even if they do it would show how bad decision it was.
    Someone partially agrees with you :-

Are the Germans destined to save the euro? - Telegraph

JW thinks Greek will go then Germany will reel out the big guns.

Nice ending :-

Back in Britain, David Cameron is spot on with his analysis that Europe must either make up or break up. Privately, both Mr Cameron and his Chancellor, George Osborne, must prefer a break-up, which is plainly more in Britain’s long-term interests than Europe making a go of the single currency, leaving our island race stranded on the sidelines. Yet they cannot say that for fear that Germany might ultimately make it work.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Well I hope you are right. But I doubt it. Is there anyone on cuk who believes that in 10 years that the Euro will still contain the same countries as now?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Greece are going to a new currency. And the longer it takes the worse it will be.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I am pleased that Greeks fight for their future rather than giving up only to make themselves worse off whilst allowing some hedge funds to make a killing on their misery.
    Greece are going to a new currency. And the longer it takes the worse it will be.

I still hope that Germany will agree to print a way out of this mess. But I cant see it happening.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Oh well - at least atw will be pleased.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The Greeks are simply making a prudent decision. They´re making sure that they keep their credit rating status. By not paying 400 million would have cost an awful lot more as it may have triggered a deluge of Credit Default Swaps having to pay out. This was an investors game of chicken. If all investors had held out they would have all lost everything, so they all had to make a difficult decision, one investor held out and won. He could have easily have lost as have the Hedge Funds that bought up all these CDS´s thinking Greece wouldn´t settle with everyone....well they did and they lost. So it´s swings and roundabouts. Greece paid 400 million to save billions, they still need to go to the market for short term funds.
    Greece are going down. They just bought themselves a bit more time - while it makes the eventually mess worse.

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Eh? What do you mean by this?

They were encouraged to fiddle the books to get in and encouraged to spend like crazy. Or were you referring to something else?

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Why are we surprised.. the IMF hijacked the country didn't they?

How can we, even if it is about the zones finances , condone the expulsion without election of the current government and UNELECTED replacement by IMF cronies, who then take all the funds left in the treasury and distribute them among the financial powerhouses of the world?

Meanwhile we fight wars in the name of democracy.. Dont make me laugh.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Reports from Athens that huge sums of money were flowing out of the country intensified concerns about the impact of a splintering of the eurozone. One independent estimate put the cost to the eurozone of Greece making a disorderly exit from the currency at $US1 trillion.
    CBA prepared for shocks if Greece quits euro

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Personally I would like to see the Greek leaders bought to justice.
    Eh? What do you mean by this?

They were encouraged to fiddle the books to get in and encouraged to spend like crazy. Or were you referring to something else?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X