• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Voters Apathy

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Voters Apathy"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    From the BBC News live update:

12:38pm: The UK Independence Party have unseated the Conservative leader of Tunbridge Wells borough council in Kent. Piers Wauchope - a barrister and a former Conservative councillor in London - defeated Robert Atwood in his Rusthall ward by just 46 votes. The Tories are defending a fifteen-seat majority on the council.
    UKIP definitely seem to be making ground now.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Went and put a couple of Xs in boxes last night, only a 15 min trip to walk, vote and come home.

Go Boris!!

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I'm just about to go down and vote.

The conservative bloke was pretty decent when I raised an issue that the council continually ignored so I owe him 5 minutes of my time to run down to the polling booth.

Result

1126: GLASGOW CITY COUNCIL: Ward 6 Pollokshields; result 1 SNP, 1 Con, 1 Lab. Glasgow's one Conservative councillor survives.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    I called my local council yesterday (Maidenhead + Windsor) , went blue in the face asking where my ballot paper was ....

"We haven't got any elections until november"

I think thats the opposite to Apathy, but its certainly very bloody embarrasing...
    Nice one.
    Beats all the voters turning up to vote yesterday and complaining about kids running around in the playground.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    I called my local council yesterday (Maidenhead + Windsor) , went blue in the face asking where my ballot paper was ....

I think thats the opposite to Apathy, but its certainly very bloody embarrasing...
    The Indian delivery guy just asked me if I voted today. Nah, I said I don't vote in London. But there were local elections he said. Oh says I. Did you vote? No, I'm not a allowed.

Even the bobs are paying more attention.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Ah, went and did it.
    Only Labour and a few independants on the card so as I can't bring myself to vote Labour put my three Xs next to the Independants.
    Then got a gobfull from the missus as apparently it's the fault of the independants that the local education system is in special measures and they're all a bunch of useless twunts.
    I was disappointed at the lack of choice though, not even a Tory candidate standing. This is of course a very Labour area (it was us that caused TB to start swearing about the Welsh) but I would have thought some other party would have had a go.

Hmm, plan B maybe to join a political party that has popular support and stand as a councillor, think of the expenses.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Think I threw my voting card away the day I got it, though I paid so little attention to doing so that the memory of it is vague. Interest = zero.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I just do not get this "I'm not going to vote" line.

I'm not one for "people died so you could vote" but people are more interested in "my contract is up at the end of the month, do you think I should go with orange to get the HTC one".
    try thinking outside the box

this stuff didnt come down from mt Sinai. people are entitled to be..well people

Leave a comment:

• Sands of Time
    replied

I'm not one for "people died so you could vote" but people are more interested in "my contract is up at the end of the month, do you think I should go with orange to get the HTC one".

No one will ever stand for what I believe in.

Turkeys do not vote for Christmas!

Tone

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Well I can't be arsed and the polling station is only about 100yds from my house. All the candidates are a bunch of twunts. I know some of them personally and that alone should make them unsuitable for power.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I've just been to vote although I really didn't feel like it. I went because you never know when it might be your last chance.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Tories 1, libs 2, end of numbering there.

I thought about giving labour 3 as they are going to lose Glasgow to the SNP but I just cannot give them any kind of affirmation at the ballot box.

The SNP seemed to have 2 on the list, I just cannot see how that should be allowed.

Anyway, primary schools make you feel like you are on Gulliver's travels.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    I have it.

I can't be bothered but I know I should.

They are all a bunch of shysters & I don't trust any of them.

Anyone else feeling the same way?
    BNP all the way for me. Call it a protest vote. Only thing that shock me out of my apathy. Mind you, I postal vote, so it's not like effort involved was huge.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X