• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "London 2012: Missiles may be placed at residential flats"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Isn't height an advantage? And canary wharf is not so far - well it looks quite close from the pictures.
    Yes but MoD would have to pay a lot smaller compensation in case somethings goes wrong in a tulipy district of London rather than in Canary Wharf

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    Considering our government would have the most to gain from a terrorist attack, I'm more worried they'd let one happen as an excuse to enact even more draconian legislation
    And hence get re-elected. Yep - I can see that.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Why?
    Isn't height an advantage? And canary wharf is not so far - well it looks quite close from the pictures.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Considering our government would have the most to gain from a terrorist attack, I'm more worried they'd let one happen as an excuse to enact even more draconian legislation

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Having seen those pictures, shouldn't they be stationed on top of Canary Wharf?
    Why?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    The Daily Mail has helpfully provided pictures of what the Olympics could look like:
    Having seen those pictures, shouldn't they be stationed on top of Canary Wharf?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    The Daily Mail has helpfully provided pictures of what the Olympics could look like:

I don't see any way we can lose medals now.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    What a great idea for a bank robbery - go dressed like that.
    Yep, but be sure to have the word "police" written on your gun festooned amour plated jacket, lest they they think you are a robber.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I don't know, but I bet he will get some funny looks if he pops in to the bank during his tea break.
    What a great idea for a bank robbery - go dressed like that.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    More like the Lone Ranger.

Hi Ho silver! Away!

Who was that masked man?
    I don't know, but I bet he will get some funny looks if he pops in to the bank during his tea break.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    So, all the terrorists need now is to ambush small defensive team at one of those houses and start firing up missiles??!?!

I think only you and churchy would consider 10 armed officers( who are bored and trigger happy) a small force.

Of course the Argies would be able to overwhelm them - but they have to get there first.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Excuse me officer, could you tell me the time please?

Yes.

<blam>

Two glocks?
    Hammer time?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    They've started right on time winding up the media machine

Have people never wondered why they put the dates/times when nuclear subs go to and from Faslane in the papers and get the familys to wave the subs off. After all they're supposed to be "stealthy".

Simple answer. What point is a deterrent if no-one knows its there. Half the stories you hear from now to Opening Ceremony will be strategically placed to inform anyone of trying anything stupid.

FWIW a HVM battery on the roof of a tower block = minimal strategic importance. Telling people a missile battery is in London = much greater strategic importance.
    Ah, but terrorist also know that. Unless you think they are trying to put the willies up the paying customers.

Maybe it's the old magicians trick. As you watch the gesticulating hand with the hanky in it, the other hand is pushing the button of a tactical intercontinental nuclear missile.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    All a bit like putting the tanks outside Heathrow in 2003.. a pointless show of force

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    1) It's an old tradition to do that
    2) you can't hide the fact that sub leaving/entering dock anyway
    OK given, but its still a valid point (especially as its a publicly acknowledged tactic)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X