• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I'm guessing that this is going to come and bite him big time."

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I am not sure what point you are making here
    A literary point. This should be right up your street.

The Road to Serfdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    And does that make for a better world as we are freed from the road to serfdom?
    I am not sure what point you are making here

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    Ah now we agree on something
    I thought you'd be all for protecting the little dears from the psychological damage of losing an egg and spoon race Scoobos

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    I meant education as in learning in school - have just realised the flaw in the plan though - excessive Government interference in our schools to such a point that the kids aren't allowed to win. OK let's go with your plan
    Ah now we agree on something

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Sorry does what make for a better world? I wouldn't have said that one can be freed from serfdom (unless you mean in the literal sense where a man was bound by law to his liege), I would have thought that one chooses not to walk that road

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I meant education as in learning in school - have just realised the flaw in the plan though - excessive Government interference in our schools to such a point that the kids aren't allowed to win. OK let's go with your plan

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Why not educate them by forcing them to live with the consequence? Isn't it their own responsibilty to educate themselves. Do you want the state spreading its indoctrination?

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    The real issue which is not being discusses is that the tax burden of almost every European country is intolerable - those who are pn PAYE have no option but to grin an bear it - those who freelance perhaps have more options - but for how much longer ?

The US have got it right with taxation levels - with an average taxation level of apox 20 per cent - there is no need for ltd companies and the likes - you simply pay your tax on PAYE and spend the rest as you will.

Now my advice for those who die -
    Declare the pennies on your eyes ..

Cos Im the Taxman
    And youre working for no-one but me

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    In the case I discussed, it is no more nanny state to return to a '3 or 4 times earnings' limit on personal lending than any other rules relating to due dilligence within banks.
    WHS + remove this stupid "joint income" too - 3x4 times a joint income is double the risk of long term incapacity or job loss ....

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Protecting people from themselves encourages a nanny state - we need to encourage individual responsibility through education
    We've been saying this for years, about a variety of topics, but in most cases it has only a limited effect.

Time and time again a laissez-fair approach to lending or investment has proved to be a recipe for disaster, even among 'professionals'. In fact, especially among professionals, so imagine what it is like among the great unwashed.

In the case I discussed, it is no more nanny state to return to a '3 or 4 times earnings' limit on personal lending than any other rules relating to due dilligence within banks.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Protecting people from themselves encourages a nanny state - we need to encourage individual responsibility through education
    Why not educate them by forcing them to live with the consequence? Isn't it their own responsibilty to educate themselves. Do you want the state spreading its indoctrination?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    On a slightly different slant, I believe many people do need protecting from themselves. And not just for their own sakes.

The best example is making mortgages available at huge multiples of income. This has buggered up the housing market, but perhaps more importantly it has created massive personal debt.

This affects the whole economy, not just the borrowers, because consumer spending and thus 'growth' is lower, and with several million people in large personal debt it severely limits the ability to raise base rates. The coallition is a bit hamstrung by this.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    I just don't think he realises who it is that votes for him. I know very few tories that are on the dole or low incomes. if he thinks he is going to overrun the Guardian reading crowd with a jump to left he's badly mistaken. All he has managed to do so far is make sure I never bother to vote again. I wonder how hard it would be to organise a walk out by every small business in the UK...

Just think if every contractor in the UK said sod it. Im not working for 2 weeks in May on mass. Im willing to bet that when the next quarters vat figures rolled in and the CT take plummeted there would be some very worried faces in the treasury. Im ****ed off with being trodden on like a criminal when I pay substantial and legal taxes for the UK government to piss up the wall.
    Smell the coffee bob.

Haven't you realised that there hasn't been any difference between the tories and labour for about 20 years now. IT contractors are very well paid and the vast majority aren't small businesses employing people but 1 man bands. The idea of a 2 week 'strike' is an absolute joke. IT workers are increasing held in diminishing esteem and indeed treated like lepers in many establishments despite business becoming almost entirely dependent on them. No one in the UK will be interested in some kind of 'action'. Afterall, there will be no shortage of bobs waiting to fill the roles.

In the eyes of Joe Public, IT contractors earning £500+ day (of tax payers money) at banks probably will be held with the same regard as bankers.

Grow up and get into the real world.
    Last edited by oscarose; 30 April 2012, 07:29.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    so what is the problem then?
    On a slightly different slant, I believe many people do need protecting from themselves. And not just for their own sakes.

The best example is making mortgages available at huge multiples of income. This has buggered up the housing market, but perhaps more importantly it has created massive personal debt.

This affects the whole economy, not just the borrowers, because consumer spending and thus 'growth' is lower, and with several million people in large personal debt it severely limits the ability to raise base rates. The coallition is a bit hamstrung by this.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    It does actually open some good conversations about wants, needs and also the fact that to get something you need to earn it and it is not just given for free - some important lessons I think....
    That's brilliant parenting and I only wish we spent more time and money getting the numpties out there to do the same.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X