• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tips on Electric Gates - Design, build and install"

Collapse

• al_cam
    replied
    If swing gates with underground actuators, make sure they are well drained.
    (The W*****s that installed the ones I have to use didn't do this so it is fun in winter when they freeze)
    They should have battery backup for when power dies, but if power is off for a while, make sure there is a manual override. My neighbour has to unbolt his every time there are power issues.
    Put in a keypad rather than push button so nobody can use gates without the code.
    If a distance from your house, install a GSM device so guests can just phone the gate to enter. it can also be used for a remote intercom.
    Put in a good sized conduit whenever things go underground so you can add/repair things easily.
    We have Came gear and I have to say it is quite good, only problems are with the sensors, but I think that might be due to them being submerged most of the year.

Al.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    Anyone got any tips for electric gates as ...
    Don’t get stuck.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Didn't mean to hijack the thread but I've been looking at rollershutter doors and extending our garages out another three feet - was there anything in particular you had to watch out for?
    PM'd you to avoid a full on hijack

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    If you thread a piece of rope through the spring, it stops the broken lumps going into orbit.
    Very good tip - thank you.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    ...they make more din than a skeleton having a w@nk in a biscuit tin

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Didn't mean to hijack the thread but I've been looking at rollershutter doors and extending our garages out another three feet - was there anything in particular you had to watch out for?
    Had one of those to on another place which I highly recommend. No issues when the electric is on. One thing to watch out for was the spring mechanism which had a warning sticker on it but I'm afraid I can't remember what it said so be careful.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    We are in the process of getting a new garage built and have gone for a rollershutter door as this means the garage can go to the pavement and internal floorspace is fully useable.

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    Don't bother. Had a new build flat with a swing gate that opened automatically on exit and a fob on entry. Always ******* broken so you had to get out of the car and force them open which made them totally pointless.

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    I think the slide gates look more industrial, imo. Much prefer the opening ones.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    There are a fair few sets of these near my current client. I dont have a clue about installation, maintenance etc, but the swing ones look prettier and look like they would make a racket if anyone tried to scale them, the slide ones look ugly and they look easy to get over.

my side gate is bars of wrought iron that look a bit flimsy, but if anything, even a cat, goes near, they make more din than a skeleton having a w@nk in a biscuit tin

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Swing opening restricts the useable space, usually are not permitted to swing onto a public thoroughfare, be that pavement, footpath or road. Sliding means you have more useable space on any driveway but need sideways space for the gate to slide into.

We are in the process of getting a new garage built and have gone for a rollershutter door as this means the garage can go to the pavement and internal floorspace is fully useable.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Convert the bridge over your moat into a drawbridge. That's what I did.

sas

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    Anyone got any tips for electric gates as I'm going to have some put in later on this year. In respect to sliding versus swing opening, problems you may have had with yours, any "I wish I had known that" scenarios...

I'm planning on making and installing them myself so any pointers to designs and plans would be most helpful too.

TIA
    You must make sure that the hidden pit you build in front of the gates for unwelcome visitors is deep enough. I did mine to 50 feet and some people survived. Make sure it's at least 200 feet, smooth sides and at least an extra 50 feet of water. Laser equipped sharks are then not necessary.

hth

MF

Leave a comment:

• Tips on Electric Gates - Design, build and install

Anyone got any tips for electric gates as I'm going to have some put in later on this year. In respect to sliding versus swing opening, problems you may have had with yours, any "I wish I had known that" scenarios...

I'm planning on making and installing them myself so any pointers to designs and plans would be most helpful too.

TIA

Working...
X