• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "He is either a liar, a moron, or being badly misreported"

Collapse

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    The moral of that story is don't negotiate with the f#ckers and kill the king while you have the chance.
    Yep, and another lesson is, don't trust the ******* Mayor!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Do you remember what happened to Watt Tyler?
    The moral of that story is don't negotiate with the f#ckers and kill the king while you have the chance.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    We do have a written constitution; it is called the ‘Magna Carta’. If the Government, institutions and Courts adhered to it there would be far less trouble. The ‘Magna Carta’ also allows in certain cases for lawful rebellion by citizens. A corrupt Parliament and misuse of finance are just a couple of reasons. Bring your pitch forks to London.
    Do you remember what happened to Watt Tyler?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Good idea.

Unfortunately some rich knuts would still prefer to pay 10% to an offshore firm to avoid paying any tax in UK.
    If it's legal then why not?

If it were worth my while, I'd do it.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Good idea.

Unfortunately some rich knuts would still prefer to pay 10% to an offshore firm to avoid paying any tax in UK.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Why don't they simply tax rich people on over £250k at 20%
    Good idea.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Why don't they simply tax rich people on over £250k at 20%. that way they wont bother employing complex tax avoidance vehicles and nor will they fart around with the amount of time they spend in the Uk. More tax will be raised - everyone's a winner!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    How about tax relief is only given via the charities themselves, who supply HMRC with a list of donors and donations, and any charity with fewer than 100 separate donors isn't eligible for tax relief?

The alternative would be only allowing approved charities to get tax relief, but that would be bureaucratic. Rather than whitelisting, allow popularity (number of different donors) to indicate which appear to be be genuine charities, then blacklist any of those you have a problem with.
    The Contractors Benevolent Fund should pass with flying colours.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    There are lots of ways to solve it including pursueing people who used false charities for tax evasion which it would certainly be in this case.

Also making all tax returns public would be a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    I think we should thank the chancellor for alerting us to tax avoidance possibilities us minnows hadn't previously considered.

So if I set up an overseas charity (who presumably have no obligation to tell the UK government who they employ, what they pay them, and how they spend the rest of their money) then I can currently donate any amount of money to the charity, and that money won't be taxed in the UK?

To put it another way, there's nothing stopping me from creating my own personal financial black hole that will swallow all my taxable income and UK government has no way of knowing what becomes of it?

I get giddy just thinking about the possibilities....

More seriously I don't think the 25% limit is enough of a clamp-down, to be honest.

How about tax relief is only given via the charities themselves, who supply HMRC with a list of donors and donations, and any charity with fewer than 100 separate donors isn't eligible for tax relief?

The alternative would be only allowing approved charities to get tax relief, but that would be bureaucratic. Rather than whitelisting, allow popularity (number of different donors) to indicate which appear to be be genuine charities, then blacklist any of those you have a problem with.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 11 April 2012, 11:20.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    And here we have a bunch of people who are highly paid who have a history of tax avoidance berating the chancellor and the rich for being party to it all
    Chancellor is berated for either being an idiot or a liar - probably both.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    UK shocked that George Osborne expects them to believe he’s shocked at millionaire tax avoiders

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    More evidence that the Tories are out of touch.

Don't blame me ..........
    You are Ben Elton and I claim my five partisan pounds.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    And here we have a bunch of people who are highly paid who have a history of tax avoidance berating the chancellor and the rich for being party to it all The irony of it.
    I thought Ken Livingstone was the only hypocrite until I read this thread.
    Everyone is a hypocrite when it suits them...

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    And here we have a bunch of people who are highly paid who have a history of tax avoidance berating the chancellor and the rich for being party to it all The irony of it.
    I thought Ken Livingstone was the only hypocrite until I read this thread.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X