• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone living / working in Nottingham?"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Pure good is like water:
    It gives life to all things in nature
    And follows its natural course without struggle.
    It even flows to the dark or lowly places
    That most people fear and look down on.
    For that reason, it is like the Flow.

Good flows everywhere:
    The earth is good for dwelling.
    In meditation, depth is good.
    The good of giving is generosity.
    The good of speaking is honesty.
    Order is good for leading.
    Skill is good for work.
    Everything in its right time.

The truth is:
    If you accept your path in life
    And gently flow forward, Then there is no struggle.

Leave a comment:

• madhippy
    replied
    I used to work in Nottingham 6+ years ago ... visit one/twice a year since - including a few weeks ago ... never seen any trouble whatsoever ...

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    In actual fact, I am BORED with this tulipty place (Leyton)

I've decided I'm going to jump ship on this tenancy and move back to Nottingham within a month (the joys of contracting!).

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    It's odd because there are some nice houses up there, the prossies are slowly moving accross from Forest road which is upsetting the locals. Apparently they have traditionally been in that area due to there once being an army barracks in the area
    Yeah I know - I used to live opposite some nice houses (in a crappy block of flats).

Forest Road is a total dump. My old boss used to live up there. He opened his door and got his feet pissed on by a drunk pikey.

Is the nice sausage cob and sarnie place still there (up the end by the tram?). I lived in the greasy goodness there.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMonkey
    Yeah I know the one - right on the junction of Mansfield Road? Bit too much tomato in their stuff I'm fussy.

Used to live up Mapperley Road. Whore-land!

It's odd because there are some nice houses up there, the prossies are slowly moving accross from Forest road which is upsetting the locals. Apparently they have traditionally been in that area due to there once being an army barracks in the area

Leave a comment:

• Bitbucket
    replied
    Used to live up Mapperley Road. Whore-land
    I thought the police cracked down on all that people trafficking , looks like you may have one or two Bulgarians as well then

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    There is a decent one up Mapperley road, on the left, just before the swanky furniture showroom.
    Yeah I know the one - right on the junction of Mansfield Road? Bit too much tomato in their stuff I'm fussy.

Used to live up Mapperley Road. Whore-land!

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Nottingham?

Does anyone know Dave Clegg?

Dave (is|was) from Nottingham, but his fame is widespread.

He was a sort of 'attack salesman' for Memorex back in the '80s - 90s when they were selling high-end DASD and tape solutions to the IBM mainframe market.

IT managers either loved him like a brother, or feared him like Beelzebub.

Being the small world that IT is, just wondered if any of you know/knew Dave.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    There is a decent one up Mapperley road, on the left, just before the swanky furniture showroom.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Bitbucket
    " Anyone living / working in Nottingham? "

Just the Armenians I think
    And the indians. Despite being lots of Indians in the Hyson Green area there ISNT A DECENT CURRY HOUSE.

Which is why I moved

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Why would you expect that? I live in the North West, the area I live in has one of the lowest crime rates in the UK. Everywhere I have worked in the south east has been higher.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    My only doubt about Nottingham's pre-eminence is that the rest of the top ten are all up north, which is what you'd expect.

Leave a comment:

• Bitbucket
    replied
    There are

" Anyone living / working in Nottingham? "

Just the Armenians I think

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    I've lived in: Basford and Mapperley in Nottingham for about 6 years.

I've also lived in: Barnet, Leyton, Osterley, Twickenham and Ladywell in London for about 20 years.

I can confirm that Nottingham is BLISS compared to London. It took the police 14 days to respond to a 999 because someone tried to stab me.

I'm moving back up that way (well to Newark) ASAP!

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    It's crap, London is split into small boroughs. These boroughs are still in the top of the charts. Also the Nottingham population does not include the leafy suburbs around and near to the city where crime is low. Unlike many cities the bad areas are concentrated very close to the centre.

If you put it into perspective, more people were murdered in High Wycombe last year than Nottingham yet it isn't even in the chart. This report would imply Nottingham is less safe, when infact the reverse is true. Moreover the gun crime in Nottingham is gang related i.e. drugs dealers hurting drugs dealer. The deaths in High Wycombe are random attacks and muggings.
    I never read of anyone being stabbed for their wallet while in Nottingham.

Having lived in London and Nottingham I can tell you crime is a far bigger and more widespread problem in London. I lost count of the colleagues who had been burgled and many in so called 'good areas'.
    Don't forget many people in London don't even bother to ring the police these days.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X