• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How should I approach price negotiation?"

Collapse

• Spartacus
    replied
    Well done, ClarissaG. Congratulations.

Leave a comment:

• ClarissaG
    replied
    I got the job!!

Just thought I'd let you know that I went for the interview today and got the job!!

Even better, I asked the agency for more money and they agreed to put the rate up from £280 to £325!!!

I've been glugging champagne and it's time for bed!!!!!

No rude comments please

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by ClarissaG
    I suppose I should give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Best not. Assume they are lying thieving untrustworthy unwashed scum and you will be right more often than not.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist
    a rule of thumb I use is that 1k per annum = 1 £ per hour. So 35k a year = £35 per hour or 260 ish per day.
    There's no way that would work the other way round - £35p/h is around £55k (depending on how many hours & weeks you work). I wouldn't swap a £35p/h contract for a £35K a year permie job. My general rule is to multiply hourly rate by 35 (hours per week) and then 45 (weeks per year).

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Clarissa

its a bad idea to start changing the rate one its been agreed, and two sentances at the beginning of a conversation IS an agreement. How would you like it if the agency dropped the rate at the last minute ?(happens to me almost every ****** time btw)

a rule of thumb I use is that 1k per annum = 1 £ per hour. So 35k a year = £35 per hour or 260 ish per day.

can you hear them

sorry just had to say it.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Oh tulip I've upset the daleks now. Clarissa, why not try asking the agency what their margin is? They know you're probably going to find out anyway at some stage, so there's nothing to be gained by them lying. If they get all defensive, you know they aren't going to play it completely straight with you, and then it's up to you to decide how much you want the contract.

Leave a comment:

• Davros
    replied
    Originally posted by ClarissaG
    I'll do the interview and play it by ear.
    Of course, once you have done the interview, it is possible to ask for a little more money if you've come away with the impression the gig is in the bag. You can use all sorts of reasons to "justify" this - the work was not quite what you thought, the location was not right, etc., etc.

The agent will never, ever risk losing the contract for just a little more.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Jack
    replied
    Not all of us Dr Who characters who post on here are bad guys you know. Although I can be bad for the right person.

There's a couple of giant alien lizards here as well, but they're both really nice and not half as fearsome as they look.

Leave a comment:

• ClarissaG
    replied
    OK thanks, I think I've tuned into the bizarre... variety of people on here now.

I'd really rather not mention the agency as they're pretty niche. I might be quite wrong about their intentions; I'm just a bit green about these things and like estate agents, you tend to think the worst of recruitment agencies! I suppose I should give them the benefit of the doubt.

I'll do the interview and play it by ear.

Thank you all.

Leave a comment:

• Dalek Supreme
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac
    Clarissa - who is the agency? That would give us an idea of how likely they are to shaft you on the margin.
    Ignore the daleks, they are a real pain in the f**king arse, they all started cropping up a few weeks ago. Some saddo Dr Who fans I guess.
    I think you'll find the Emperor (pbuh) was trying to be helpful by slapping that renegade Gold Dalek back into line. The rest of us are quite normal and helpful, especially given that our home planet was blown up by Sylvester McCoy.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Clarissa - who is the agency? That would give us an idea of how likely they are to shaft you on the margin.
    Ignore the daleks, they are a real pain in the f**king arse, they all started cropping up a few weeks ago. Some saddo Dr Who fans I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Defamator
    replied
    Yawn........ yawn.............

Time for a coffee I think..............

Talk to you later Chimp......

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Take no notice of the kids, ClarissaG, Monkey Boy is correct. A very high proportion of the regulars on here have never been in close proximity to any woman other than their mothers and they all start howling at the moon and behaving even more strangely than usual when someone logs in with a woman's name. They will calm down and stop rattling the bars of their cages in a day or two.

The previous advice is correct though. Agents and clients hate talking rate once something has been orally agreed. That rate isn't so bad for a first contract and the most imporatant thing is to get that first contract on the CV. Once the 3 months are up you can ask for more and will probably get it if you are any good. Look at it as a loss leader for your company to get your foot in the door.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Excuse my childishness but:

Leave a comment:

• Defamator
    replied
    silly cow........

ClarissaG - you are a silly cow permie.............. mooo.........mooo.......... the likes of you are a bad repensentation of TRUE contractors stupid and no sense what so ever...........

Get ure T**s out for the lads and we may just forgive you for you stupid mail.......

Defamator

PLUS - a note for TheMonkey go and eat a few Bananas......... you chimp....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X