• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Would anyone here (not you Threaded) actually join Mensa?"

Collapse

• Boolean
    replied
    hilarious.

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    Originally posted by Boolean
    I am fairly bright
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/thread7754.html

Leave a comment:

• Boolean
    replied
    I am a moron blah blah blah etc.. etc..
    Last edited by Boolean; 23 May 2006, 14:55.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet
    I'm sure thats Carlisle station

(Before anyone says anything, I'm from Carlisle, I don't have a working knowledge of every station in the country)
    There is a clue in the title of the image!

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    MPT = PMT to dyslexics

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I'm sure thats Carlisle station

(Before anyone says anything, I'm from Carlisle, I don't have a working knowledge of every station in the country)

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
    I though that Mensa was for dyslexic women with heavy periods.
    No, that's MPT.

Leave a comment:

• Clog II The Avenger
    replied
    Mensa

I though that Mensa was for dyslexic women with heavy periods.

Leave a comment:

• jenever
    replied
    M y
    E go
    N eeds
    S ome
    A ttention

nuff said

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman
    Yes, but do you put it on your CV?
    No.

I guess doing well in IQ tests shows potential for some types of work, or when taking on trainees, but in most cases employers look at experience and past performance, especially when taking on contractors.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    You're all thick. I have a high IQ and use it effectively ....hic ...

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Fungus
    One company gave me a programming aptitude test
    I had one of those for my first IT job - thats how I got into IT in the first place. Beat some wanky phd type to the job too

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet
    As my old A-level physics teacher said:

People who are in Mensa (or have a high "IQ") are good at passing Mensa (or other IQ) tests. In actuality its a very crap method for determining how intelligent someone is.
    Quite. It only measures a limited range of skills.

I recall that 20 years ago when I graduated, I went to several interviews with big companies such as Shell, and it was all the rage to spend a day or more testing a candidate. One company gave me a programming aptitude test and concluded from the results that I was not suited to programming. Odd then that I have worked for some of the biggest names in telecoms fixing bugs that have been present for years and which no-one else could locate, re-architecting and rewriting code to make it work, and producing new code. Maybe an aptitude for programming is a hindrance to producing stable efficient bug free code.

Between 15 and 20 years ago I went on several week long courses designed to given someone a feel for business. So for example you had to work in a team and design and make a simple product using basic materials. I got a big pat on the back from several course organisers as did the worst manager I've ever dealt with. They were total bollux. Unrealistic. No politics. Bollux. Did I say they were bollux?

To be honest I think that these things are self serving industries. Some expert comes along with the latest fad, be it Mensa or a programming aptitude test, and people accept without question that the test measures what it is said to measure. The person who benefits most is the expert.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I used to go to the Mensa at Frankfurt University to get cheap lunch and saw a great band from Catalan supporting Leaterhead there once. Didn't understand a bloomin' word, mind you, nor did anyone else

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Is it becoz I is thick?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X