• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Racism

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Racism"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    You're just making that crap up, aren't you?

It's symptomatic of society today, nobody thinks things through.

Here's an example...

Recently while in a restaurant we decided that we'd feed "junior" so I asked the waitress for a cup of "warm" water so that I could warm the bottle of feed through.

"Oh no, you can't have that."

"Why not?"

"It's Health and Safety"

"Oh, really? So you're not allowed to serve a Hot cup of tea or coffee to your guests?"

Another example.

Zoiderman misquotes Lord Justice Auld and you all believe him.

Incredible, really and truly incredible.
    That's because you'd burn yourself. They're looking out for you. If they give you water and you burn yourself you can sue them. Lots of places do it.

Asking for them to do it for you is fine.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Paki noun
    offensive
    Definition
    a person from Pakistan

(Definition of Paki noun from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)
    I don't know why people insist on their right to offend people unnecessarily with words. It's usually the same ones who cry unfair and go on about "the PC Brigade" impacting their right to be racist, homophobic or any other unpleasant discriminatory view they may have.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    I think there are degrees of racism. There's ignorant racism (which is what I believe we have here) where someone casually uses terms that can be offensive to the people concerned although they may not mean them to be offensive. Having said that I always wonder why they felt the need to use the word to describe them. In Churchill's case, if the owner of the shop had been white he would probably have referred to it as the corner shop, newsagent, off-licence etc. No need to comment on the owner's race or nationality. That's why it's racism.

Then there's the more obvious hateful form of racism that you think of when you talk about the KKK etc. I would agree that it's unlikely there's anyone fitting that description here on the forum.

I agree about being offended on other people's behalf. I'm not offended by comments that don't apply to me, more surprised that people aren't aware that they could be offensive to the people they refer to.
    You're just making that crap up, aren't you?

It's symptomatic of society today, nobody thinks things through.

Here's an example...

Recently while in a restaurant we decided that we'd feed "junior" so I asked the waitress for a cup of "warm" water so that I could warm the bottle of feed through.

"Oh no, you can't have that."

"Why not?"

"It's Health and Safety"

"Oh, really? So you're not allowed to serve a Hot cup of tea or coffee to your guests?"

Another example.

Zoiderman misquotes Lord Justice Auld and you all believe him.

Incredible, really and truly incredible.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I dont think there are any racists on this forum.
    It is possible that sometimes we use words that can cause a lot of offence, most here try to avoid that, usually.
    On the other hand, there are some people who go out of their way to be outraged on other peoples behalf, just to prove their 'right on' credentials

I think there are degrees of racism. There's ignorant racism (which is what I believe we have here) where someone casually uses terms that can be offensive to the people concerned although they may not mean them to be offensive. Having said that I always wonder why they felt the need to use the word to describe them. In Churchill's case, if the owner of the shop had been white he would probably have referred to it as the corner shop, newsagent, off-licence etc. No need to comment on the owner's race or nationality. That's why it's racism.

Then there's the more obvious hateful form of racism that you think of when you talk about the KKK etc. I would agree that it's unlikely there's anyone fitting that description here on the forum.

I agree about being offended on other people's behalf. I'm not offended by comments that don't apply to me, more surprised that people aren't aware that they could be offensive to the people they refer to.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
    Xenophobic, I think is an apt term for people willing to identify people by their location, racist if you are meaning in any kind of derogatory manner.

I think it's a subjective decision really. Me, I believe it was racist. I also think its kind of endemic in military folk.
    I thought it was fear of alien face huggers

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I dont think there are any racists on this forum.
    It is possible that sometimes we use words that can cause a lot of offence, most here try to avoid that, usually.
    On the other hand, there are some people who go out of their way to be outraged on other peoples behalf, just to prove their 'right on' credentials

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    Paraphrasing:

Originally posted by Churchill
    My post referring to the local shop owned by a Paki was not meant to appear racist.

To those of you genuinely offended I apologise sincerely, ok, not sincerely, you can all **** off, as it will happen again.

To be brutally honest I doubt if half of you PC inbreds would actually know what racism is, so suck my cock you know nothing cock suckers, and if you don't agree with me, send me your address via PM and I will come down and paralyse you, as I am a real tough man, honest.
    Originally posted by thelurker View Post
    What did you say?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by thelurker View Post
    What did you say?
    Have a look through Zoiderman's posts, I'm sure you'll find it mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• thelurker
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    My post referring to the local shop owned by Pakistani's was not meant to appear racist.

To those of you genuinely offended I apologise sincerely. It will not happen again.

To be brutally honest I doubt if half of you PC inbreds would actually know what racism is.
    What did you say?

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    deemed.

deemed

i hate that word. all contractors should hate that word.

it should be more illegal than paki.

From what I understand of the law, it is all down to context; if you are with a Pakistani friend down the pub, and call him paki, and he is not offended by it, it's not 'deemed' illegal. However, the moment you say it to someone you don't know, in any way that could be construed as offensively, its off to Crown Court for you.

I think there are a lot of parallels with the Suarez thing, to be honest, as his defence was he was saying it in a friendly way, which would have been seen as culturally correct. But he didn't, which also has parallels to the OP

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
    I believe it did, but it is when people started using it as a descriptor for just about every single asian person; Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Indian, Sri Lankan, in a derogatory manner i.e. 'You're just a town full of pakis', that it was designated as an offence. Rightly in my book.

I believe if you use the term paki shop, it can be deemed as illegal, not just offensive.
    deemed.

deemed

i hate that word. all contractors should hate that word.

it should be more illegal than paki.

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I think that is only used by the Ruperts?
    No, it's used throughout

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    I never knew that it was actually illegal to use the the term Paki

I always thought 'istan' means home or dwelling place , or where you are from. so Afghanistan is ' the place where the Afghans come from'

it's a funny ole world

I believe it did, but it is when people started using it as a descriptor for just about every single asian person; Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Indian, Sri Lankan, in a derogatory manner i.e. 'You're just a town full of pakis', that it was designated as an offence. Rightly in my book.

I believe if you use the term paki shop, it can be deemed as illegal, not just offensive.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I believe the accepted Military word is 'rag head'.
    I think that is only used by the Ruperts?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I believe the accepted Military word is 'rag head'.
    shut it, snot-rocket

Leave a comment:

Working...
X