• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anti-virus = Anti-multitasking"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Thank you Sysman, unlike that lump of Northern peat bog you have been really useful.
    'kin southern jessie!

Leave a comment:

• raman
    replied
    I used to use Norton as well but as you say it was slowing my PC down too much. Try Avira, I found it did a much better job without slowing my machine down.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Most of these are dodgy, Dodgy. I've seen claims that my Windows set up is in need of tuning even when I have been on a Mac or Linux system.

If you use Firefox, AdBlock Plus does a good job of stopping these pleas to fleece you. There are other ad blockers for other browsers.
    Thank you Sysman, unlike that lump of Northern peat bog you have been really useful.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Why is it that I get these security checks (adobe for instance) telling me I have a problem with the performance or security of my PC and therefore need to download and pay for their software?
    Most of these are dodgy, Dodgy. I've seen claims that my Windows set up is in need of tuning even when I have been on a Mac or Linux system.

If you use Firefox, AdBlock Plus does a good job of stopping these pleas to fleece you. There are other ad blockers for other browsers.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Because you're thick?
    Should'nt you be out walking pushing the pram on a fine day like today?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I've never noticed the MS offering doing that whilst I'm working. I have seen it springing to life when the laptop is left alone for a few minutes though. My system monitor widgets all light up and then suddenly die down as soon as I touch the mouse.
    Same here more or less.

I'd had McAfee for a few years and it became a pain for that, I got rid and the relief was like having a good crap.

MS Auto-Update is also a nuisance. I always turn that off.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Why is it that I get these security checks (adobe for instance) telling me I have a problem with the performance or security of my PC and therefore need to download and pay for their software?
    Because you're thick?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
    Now I've got a process called: MsMpEng.exe (apparently part of the Microsoft free anti-virus software) churning away at my hard drive at seemingly random intervals, with the result that Windows ignores my mouse clicks so that the UI is virtually unusable for a couple of minutes until the hard drive has stopped churning away.
    I've never noticed the MS offering doing that whilst I'm working. I have seen it springing to life when the laptop is left alone for a few minutes though. My system monitor widgets all light up and then suddenly die down as soon as I touch the mouse.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I found Norton was rather a resource hog; but I've never had any trouble with Kaspersky

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    McAfree VirusScan now caches scan results. So its not scanning the same file it scanned yesterday and was clean, and the day before and so on.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
    Have we not progressed any further in the last 20 years?
    Yes. It's called a Mac.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Get a Mac / iPad

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Maginty
    started a topic Anti-virus = Anti-multitasking

Anti-virus = Anti-multitasking

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 7 June 2022, 18:47.

Working...
X