• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Deflation news

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Deflation news"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    About time we got UK Engineers to create Electric cars - also on coal/nuclear power stations.

And the scientists can work on fusion....
    But then tax revenues would go down, unless they put up road tax by 2 million %.

http://www.petrolprices.com/the-price-of-fuel.html

Nice little earner.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    About time we got UK Engineers to create Electric cars - also on coal/nuclear power stations.

And the scientists can work on fusion....

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Diesel fuel has 20% more energy per unit volume than petrol, plus:

• They burn less fuel than a petrol engine performing the same work, due to the engine's higher temperature of combustion and greater expansion ratio.[1] Gasoline engines are typically 30 percent efficient while diesel engines can convert over 45 percent of the fuel energy into mechanical energy[26] (see Carnot cycle for further explanation).
    • They have no high voltage electrical ignition system, resulting in high reliability and easy adaptation to damp environments. The absence of coils, spark plug wires, etc., also eliminates a source of radio frequency emissions which can interfere with navigation and communication equipment, which is especially important in marine and aircraft applications.
    • The life of a diesel engine is generally about twice as long as that of a petrol engine[27] due to the increased strength of parts used. Diesel fuel has better lubrication properties than petrol as well.
    • Diesel engines are more efficient than gasoline (petrol) engines of the same power rating, resulting in lower fuel consumption. A common margin is 40 percent more miles per gallon for an efficient turbodiesel.

Diesel engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    makes diesels sound like petrol engines shouldn't even exist.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Aye, current petrol engines certainly much better than they used to be.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Mondeo

Ford Mondeo Hatchback 2.0 TDCi 140 Edge 5dr Specifications - What Car?

2.0 Diesel 48p per mile

Ford Mondeo Hatchback 1.6 160 Ecoboost Edge S/S 5dr Specifications - What Car?

1.6 Turbo Petrol 49p per mile

Petrol car is costing you 1p a mile more to run. Big diesel savings eh?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    They're all that price and that's actually very cheap. BMW will charge you £1300 for one.
    My PUG 307 particulate filter cost I think £300 - from main dealer.

Newer ones supposed to last much longer - I had mine changed after 60k miles.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    £729.39 for a Kia part?
    They're all that price and that's actually very cheap. BMW will charge you £1300 for one.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    £729.39 for a Kia part?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    And then your diesel needs the particulate filter changed....

BMW 530 3.0 03/06 ON DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER DPF on eBay!
    KIA CARENS 2.0 09/06 ON DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER DPF on eBay!

...and your fuel savings against a much more pleasant petrol car are gone.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    My local garage charges 149.9
    Shell performance diesel is even more!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Diesel prices hit record high of 143.05p a litre, says AA
    My local garage charges 149.9

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    There should not be any spark plugs used in a diesel engine surely?
    Exactly.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I had my Ford Mondeo diesel for about 10 years and didn't even need to buy spark plugs
    There should not be any spark plugs used in a diesel engine surely?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    It means all those lovely big engined petrol cars are a bargain after some mug has paid the first hit in depreciation.

Yeah, sure looks this way.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Looking at the graph, did prices really drop that much around august 08 to august 09?

I don't remember seeing them coming down at all, beyond the token few pence, and even then prices soon went back up.

How soon till we get subsidised petrol prices via the Falklands oil field, or will prices be kept artificially high as usual?

As for petrol v diesel, I'm glad there are plenty of mugs that think diesel cars are the best bet when they're only doing the national average of 12k miles/year and often a lot less, paying around 10p/litre more, paying more for servicing, having reliability problems with DPFs and complicated injection systems, and having to drive something that sounds like a tractor.

It means all those lovely big engined petrol cars are a bargain after some mug has paid the first hit in depreciation.
    I had my Ford Mondeo diesel for about 10 years and didn't even need to buy spark plugs, but granted the prevailing rumour is that diesels are more expensive to maintain. Suspension went in the end, but still miss that fuel sipping miser of a car. Diesel was cheaper than petrol then too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X