• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Portuguese Unemployment Rate hits record as austerity causes Greek-style death spiral"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

... Glad to report there are still flower salespeople that hassle you in the restaurants.
    In your dreams. More likely ..

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Almost there, they just need to be a tad poorer.
    Glad to report there are still flower salespeople that hassle you in the restaurants.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Which is not entirely a bad thing.
    Almost there, they just need to be a tad poorer.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    They don't seem to be able to afford clothes though.
    Which is not entirely a bad thing.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I've just been to Italy, which is supposedly bankrupt. Didn't look like anyone really cares though.

They don't seem to be able to afford clothes though.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Back on topic;

Last edited by Mich the Tester; 17 February 2012, 12:06.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    The Douro region is full of winemakers and subsistence farmers:two groups who will do well in spite of Portugal's woes.
    Lovely people there, salt of the earth - they probably don't give a fig about the Euro.
    I've just been to Italy, which is supposedly bankrupt. Didn't look like anyone really cares though.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    I'd be worried if I had a holiday property in Portugal. Particularly in the Douro region. The job losses there are devastating and I've heard of many holiday properties being ransacked for anything they might have, or even being squatted in.

Still, only a cretin would have bought in Portugal just before the place goes tits up.
    The Douro region is full of winemakers and subsistence farmers:two groups who will do well in spite of Portugal's woes.
    Lovely people there, salt of the earth - they probably don't give a fig about the Euro.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Do you know what this thread needs?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Unemployed EU citizens should up sticks and move to Germany/France and we'll see how long it is before their own citizens start playing up.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Do you have a poster of Mervyn on your wall so you can while looking at it?
    Yes, but I covered his face with a picture of Caroline Flint, so that she looks like she wearing a pinstripe. Phooaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    There is no problem.
    People here in on the mainland are mystified by these stories in the British press. We haven't seen any Portuguese unemployed here in Germany.

Lord Haw Haw

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    Perhaps.

I find it funny that everyone focuses on the Greeks. Everyone seems to have forgotten Portugal, Spain, Ireland and many others.
    Any of the resident Irish here care to provide an update on the state of their economy?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

How are our old colonies doing economically? OZ, NZ Canada, etc. I don't suppose they'd like to buy stuff off us and visa versa while Europe does its thing?
    They're probably doing very well. But seeing as how they've been treated by us as third rate foreign scum for the last 30 years, being forced to queue up in droves at the non-EU customs gate while EU travellers swan past them without even a pause, they probably won't be that interested in helping us now.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    I'd be worried if I had a holiday property in Portugal. Particularly in the Douro region. The job losses there are devastating and I've heard of many holiday properties being ransacked for anything they might have, or even being squatted in.

Still, only a cretin would have bought in Portugal just before the place goes tits up.
    I've heard the locals are getting restless in Darras too. If it isn't one place it's another.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X