• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Scottish independence: Oil fund 'could be worth £30bn'"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Lord Haw Haw was drunk. The only way he can cope with his current isolation. Drinking at home and posting on CUk because you have no mates to go out with. So sad.
    What is sad is using the word cretin in most posts.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Explain. If England or Wales get back all those public service jobs, sounds like a result to me.

Quite. All the numbers suggest England subsidises Scotland, even if oil is taken into account.
    Let the Scots go, they'll probably join the Euro and get some German Gauleiter installed in Edinburgh telling them how to run their economy for the furtherance of Germany.
    Lord Haw Haw would like that, no doubt.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    £30 billion is about what the Scots would lose in a three or four years once all the public service jobs, like tax offices, currently there were exported to Wales or India or back to England.

And sorry, but any English person who thinks the UK would be better off long term without Scotland is a damned fool. Sadly, this thread just shows how many of them there are.

Explain. If England or Wales get back all those public service jobs, sounds like a result to me.

Perhaps I'm a damned fool but I'd like to understand why. My view, very simply, is if the Scots want independence, let them. They think they'll be better off. The English think they (the English) will be better off. Everybody's happy.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    £30 billion is about what the Scots would lose in a three or four years once all the public service jobs, like tax offices, currently there were exported to Wales or India or back to England.

And sorry, but any English person who thinks the UK would be better off long term without Scotland is a damned fool. Sadly, this thread just shows how many of them there are.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    It's what people want myself included. But the truth is the UK does not exist anymore. At least not as I knew it growing up, a voice that was heard and listened to. The Scots love that sheet, but when the confidence is gone so is the interest. Not to mention the wealth of land has been raped after succession of tories governments for reasons people in the north have little interest.

What remains of the UK today is represented by a mob and faceless bankers who like to gamble in the city.

Fix it, we're in, do nothing, the landscape will change for sure.
    It's got **** all to do with you, you're a Kraut. :nazi:

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I think pooperscoop is desperately searching Google for anecdotes of Tory rape and pillage to support his throwaway cliche
    I think what he was getting at was that the 'Thatcher Revolution' was funded through the North Sea Oil boom. At a time when the country was grinding to a halt, oil revenues kept the deficit down and paid for tax cuts.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Lord Haw Haw was drunk. The only way he can cope with his current isolation. Drinking at home and posting on CUk because you have no mates to go out with. So sad.
    I think pooperscoop is desperately searching Google for anecdotes of Tory rape and pillage to support his throwaway cliche

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Explain

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by dundeedude View Post
    Forgetting the oil& gas for a minute...

When working abroad in the Far East recently, I had trouble explaining my nationality to people.

They use the word 英国 to represent British, but it's translated as 'English'. I often had to explain that I was 苏格兰人,Scottish, but that Scotland was a country, with the UK being an amalgamation of countries - United Kingdom. This generally just caused confusion to all, who were taught the UK was the UK, with the word 'Britain' rarely ever being mentioned in their English usage.

I don't see the the negative side of Scotland having all funds diverted and managed in Edinburgh, but still being part of the UK - the UK being a collection of countries that are able to manage themselves.

Wales is culturally and socially very different from England, as is Scotland, with Northern Ireland being very different again. I would advocate all countries within the UK should really be receiving the various taxes their population spend, which can then divert funds to projects of their choosing.

I think full Scottish independence, leaving the UK (collection of countries title), is probably not what most people want - but the current climate seems to suggest we can't have a meaningful discussion about the prospect of managing our own finances and being fully reliant on ourselves.

Just to reiterate, Scotland is a country, but the UK is also our country. Do I say I'm Scottish, my country, or British, also supposedly my country? I personally call myself Scottish, as it's the least common denominator country to which I belong.

Wishing that country to then have genuine 'country' status and fully devolved financial management capability seems normal to me. I like many parts of England, being well travelled, and do not see why this relationship would change. Perhaps people are too reactionary regarding the true meaning of what people wish - it's not anti-UK or anti-English.
    Far too sensibly argued to appear on general

Leave a comment:

• dundeedude
    replied
    Forgetting the oil& gas for a minute...

When working abroad in the Far East recently, I had trouble explaining my nationality to people.

They use the word 英国 to represent British, but it's translated as 'English'. I often had to explain that I was 苏格兰人,Scottish, but that Scotland was a country, with the UK being an amalgamation of countries - United Kingdom. This generally just caused confusion to all, who were taught the UK was the UK, with the word 'Britain' rarely ever being mentioned in their English usage.

I don't see the the negative side of Scotland having all funds diverted and managed in Edinburgh, but still being part of the UK - the UK being a collection of countries that are able to manage themselves.

Wales is culturally and socially very different from England, as is Scotland, with Northern Ireland being very different again. I would advocate all countries within the UK should really be receiving the various taxes their population spend, which can then divert funds to projects of their choosing.

I think full Scottish independence, leaving the UK (collection of countries title), is probably not what most people want - but the current climate seems to suggest we can't have a meaningful discussion about the prospect of managing our own finances and being fully reliant on ourselves.

Just to reiterate, Scotland is a country, but the UK is also our country. Do I say I'm Scottish, my country, or British, also supposedly my country? I personally call myself Scottish, as it's the least common denominator country to which I belong.

Wishing that country to then have genuine 'country' status and fully devolved financial management capability seems normal to me. I like many parts of England, being well travelled, and do not see why this relationship would change. Perhaps people are too reactionary regarding the true meaning of what people wish - it's not anti-UK or anti-English.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    I am confused (a state I am well familiar with). AS is proposing that he will save 1 billion per year by not spending all the revenue generated by oil.
    Who is going to fill the billion pound hole in the income stream? Or is he proposing reducing spending by a billion a year?

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    primeminister salmond will meet the spy in the camp cameron this afternoon, should be worth watching

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Explain
    Yeah I want to know that too???

It will all go wrong for AS when 'devo max ' won't be on the ballot paper.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Alex Salmond said that earmarking about a tenth of oil and gas tax revenues - about £1bn a year - could lead to Scotland being able to pay the health bills caused by too much Alcohol and deep fried food
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    . Not to mention the wealth of land has been raped after succession of tories governments for reasons people in the north have little interest.

Explain

Leave a comment:

Working...
X