• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Disease carrying mozzies invading Britain."

Collapse

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Being outside means you're at risk. The more time you're outdoors, the more time you could be bitten by an infected mosquito.
    Straight from the CDC ... and they're the experts.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Might be worth looking at property prices in Kent, near Romney Marsh for example, if all these scare stories discourage would be buyers.

I mean how bad can West Nile virus be? Also, presumably you'd only catch it once and then you're immune.
    CDC: West Nile Virus - What You Need To Know

About one in 150 people infected with WNV will develop severe illness. The severe symptoms can include high fever, headache, neck stiffness, stupor, disorientation, coma, tremors, convulsions, muscle weakness, vision loss, numbness and paralysis. These symptoms may last several weeks, and neurological effects may be permanent.
    Last edited by Moscow Mule; 10 February 2012, 21:32. Reason: gash link

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Might be worth looking at property prices in Kent, near Romney Marsh for example, if all these scare stories discourage would be buyers.

I mean how bad can West Nile virus be? Also, presumably you'd only catch it once and then you're immune.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    They bring the story out nearly every year - then if we get a cold spell that lasts 10 days or more it kills them off.

BTW there are poisonous spiders in the UK apparently some are living on the bridges along the Thames. Though I expect quite a few of them have died off in the past two weeks. Unfortunately the damn parakeets love the cold as they are from the mountains......

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Sounds like more scare mongering.

From 4 years ago:

The UK is to be hit by regular malaria outbreaks, fatal heatwaves and contaminated drinking water within five years because of global warming, the Government has warned the NHS.

Malaria warning as UK becomes warmer - Telegraph
    Only a year to go. Doomed.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Too many people living in Kent anyway...
    "He added that although the mosquitoes have been found at sites in the marshes of north Kent and south Essex in 2010 and 2011."

Kent is fine - but surely you don't want those lovely essex types to be affected?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Too many people living in Kent anyway...

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I think there in for a shock when they meet the midges from the north.
    You and your friends?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Sounds like more scare mongering.

Surely a tax of some sort can prevent the problem?

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I think they're in for a shock when they meet the midges from the north.
    Is English not your first language?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I think there in for a shock when they meet the midges from the north.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost99
    started a topic Disease carrying mozzies invading Britain.

Disease carrying mozzies invading Britain.

Last edited by zeitghost99; 10 August 2016, 07:45.

Working...
X