• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "That'll sort the Argies out"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I bet the troops love the falklands posting. Could have been worse - it could have been Belize.
    I did my Jungle Warfare Training in Belize, it's a ******* doddle! Populated by very strange ex(?)SAS blokes pissed out of their tiny minds on God knows what but not the worst place to be on the planet.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    When reading an article the other day it was mentioned that the UK no longer have any active aircraft carriers or Harrier Jump Jets so could not repeat the successes of the last Falklands war.

Is that correct?
    Whilst up the Spinaker Tower in Portsmouth last weekend I took a photo of an aircraft carrier in dock, looked pretty up-to-date to me. Don't know how to post the photo here though.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    When reading an article the other day it was mentioned that the UK no longer have any active aircraft carriers or Harrier Jump Jets so could not repeat the successes of the last Falklands war.

Is that correct?
    The next carrier is due to enter service in about 2030 IIRC. So as long as the Argies don't start anything before then, we'll be fine.

Also, I think we'll be sharing the carrier with France; but any idea that the French might put obstacles in the way of its use, to pressure the UK over EU issues such as a transaction tax for example, is entirely misguided.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I suspect if they do invade it would have to be by them using special forces to secure the runway for themselves and then putting surface to air missile defense on the island.
    that would make a great hollywood movie

can you just remind me where it's been done before ?

in real life

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I suspect if they do invade it would have to be by them using special forces to secure the runway for themselves and then putting surface to air missile defense on the island.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    The last Falklands camapign was about the difficulty WE had in mounting an invasion, the next one will be about the difficultles THEY have in mounting an invasion.
    We dont need much to make it nigh on impossible, just a few hundred troops, some artillery, some anti aircraft and a few planes, loads of ammo and the ability to reinforce.

Without an airfield, they will be able to get zero supplies or reinforcements in once our subs arrive

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I'm surprised we aren't invading Argentina on that basis.
    Its not close enough to election time yet. And this time we are going to attack France. And its our turn to be on the same side as Germany.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    From Wikipedia:

On 2 April 1982, Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands and other British territories in the South Atlantic. The military junta which had ruled Argentina since 1976 sought to maintain power by diverting public attention from the nation's poor economic performance and exploiting the long-standing feelings of the Argentines towards the islands.

I'm surprised we aren't invading Argentina on that basis.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    It has been considerably beefed up since.
    I bet the troops love the falklands posting. Could have been worse - it could have been Belize.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied

Is that correct?
    That is essentially correct. However, that does not mean that we would lose any future conflict.
    The chances of the Argies being able to invade in the first place is slim.
    They only succeeded last time because our garrison then consisted of about two dozen Marines, 2 cooks, a Padre, and fook all else.
    It has been considerably beefed up since.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    That's very Astute of you.

On the plus side, my FI oily shares are going to be worth a mint.

Pray there's never an attack on Skye, the entire fleet would be disabled when the tide is out...

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

Is that correct?
    Well we sold all the harriers to the US at a knock down price.

I suppose we could lease them back again. Don't worry David has a plan. Somewhere in the Swiss alps I believe.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    bollocks.
    absolute bollocks.

anything capable of shooting a cricket ball out of the air should be seconded to the fckng English cricket team asap, and send the batsmen to the falklands to 'knock the argies for six'

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    That's very Astute of you.

On the plus side, my FI oily shares are going to be worth a mint.
    Well spotted.

Dolphins?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X