• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Nicotine inhalers

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nicotine inhalers"

Collapse

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    ..and they come back half an hour later with a thing the SIZE of a coin with a picture of ITALY on it. You put one cigarette in and it's full. "Well your're not going to smoke another one are you?"

- No, no, no. I'll just jab some HEROIN into my EYEBALL now...

All of my friends are good cooks. Or maybe I'm just less picky than you.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Only got 2 left in the packet, should I run down to the fag machine on the corner of the street or wait for the wife to come home and send her? Decisions, decisions...

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I DON'T LIKE FOOD. I think food is boring. Food is dull. FOOD takes up
    valuable space which I require for DRINK. There's nothing I hate more
    then when someone says,

- You must come round to our place for a meal.

OH NO. 'Cause when you go round to someone's house for a meal all you do is spend the entire meal talking about FOOD. As soon as you get through the door it starts.

- Gosh, that smells nice.

Never ever,

- Bloody hell, what are you boiling up? Some old soiled nappies, or what?

And when your're eating the stuff you spend the entire evening saying how nice it is.

- Gosh, yum yum. This is super. You must give me the recipe sometime.

If they gave me a plate of dogtulip, I'd say the same thing.

- Gosh, yum yum, What lovely dogtulip. What is it - Afghan hound or Cocker spaniel? I bought a bottle of horse piss from Sainsbury's. That'll help wash it down. It's not dogtulip, though, It's always the same old stuff...

QUICHE

Where did Quiche come from? There wasn't any quiche before 1975 and now you can't move for it. I think it came from the same planet as Duvet. Then we leave the dining area and move into the living room area and start saying how nice the room is.

- What a nice room. It's so light and airy. Couldn't you get a roof.
    - What a nice carpet. It runs all the way from this wall to that one over there.

And these people - ok, they're good, kind, nice people - but THEY DON'T SMOKE. And I smoke all the time. I would like a head with 15 mouths, a cigarette in each hand and a pipe up the bum just in case. But these people don't want MY SMOKE in THEIR HOMES. And I always crack. And I say to them,

- Do you mind if I smoke?

Then they throw up. Then they say through gritted teeth, "no, you go right ahead. I'll just open all the windows..." Sometimes they have a handle and when they pull it the ROOF lifts off, the WALLS fall down and your're in the middle of the COUNTRY...smoking away. Feeling GOOD because I'm smoking. Feeling BAD because I'm smoking. Then I suddenly realise...with dawning horror...there are no ashtrays in this room and I've got about half an inch of ash at the end of my cigarette. If I move a muscle their house is full of ash. So I say to them,

- Do you have an ashtray?

Now I'm speaking Martian. "Ashtray...ashtray...oh! ASHTRAY! Yes, I think there's one in the kitchen"

- Well go and get it will you!!

..and they come back half an hour later with a thing the SIZE of a coin with a picture of ITALY on it. You put one cigarette in and it's full. "Well your're not going to smoke another one are you?"

- No, no, no. I'll just jab some HEROIN into my EYEBALL now...

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    I use these as well The Smoker's Angel. I think I'm the only ex smoker that picked up one of these and started vaping.

I get the minty ones. You need a few of the batteries as they don't last long if you're a big dragger and also the MTBF can be a few months if you are unlucky, although most of mine have lasted over a year.

There's no burning, it simply atomises food grade propylene glycol (PG) (stuff you can buy from the chemists - there are some e-cig kits that you can mix you own flavours, such as cherry, vanilla and roast chicken!) which creates the smoke, rest is water, alcohol, flavourings and stabilizers. A lot less damaging than long term inhalation of burning enhanced tobacco but even as an evening/pub "smoker", using these a lot can generate a slight cough as your cilia, I assume, are removing the fine film of the PG from your lungs.

This is the difference between those pharma tube things and these - I get the non or low nicotine minty but it's the smoke blowing sensation I missed, and now I get it. The higher nics taste more like real smoking but as effectively a non-smoker, I find it a bit harsh.

Plus the fact it completely winds up the Righteous when you pop it back in your pocket and carry on drinking your beer.

Most pubs allow vaping although some cretins think you're lighting up and join in with real cigs, much to the chagrin of the landlord.

Are they safe? Feck knows, most likely safer but we won't know for 30 years or so, but I'll be dead by then so who cares, but they're bloody good fun for all sorts of reasons - even on a train, plane and taxi.

And they glow orange at the end when you draw, but what is much better is getting the Titans which are black and have a blue glow - now that really does put the hypocrisy amongst the banstabators...

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    That is why I am addicted to spin classes - the endorphin rush when timed right through building up slow and steady to the endorphin release by a good spin instructor is an amazing feeling!!
    Rubbish, you just love watching fit women in lycra on bikes

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Barley View Post
    Its amazing how many activities you associate with having a ciggy.
    Get married... at least one activity will disappear off the radar

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post

That is why I am addicted to spin classes - the endorphin rush when timed right through building up slow and steady to the endorphin release by a good spin instructor is an amazing feeling!!
    You sure you didn't mean spin glasses ?

A spin glass is a magnet with frustrated interactions, augmented by stochastic disorder ..

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    just quit

10 months for me now and loving it
    congrats. after a year it should be a done deal.

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    Why should one?

Quitting is kind of a retarded idea for many. Smoking often becomes a emotional crutch for many and that must be substituted somehow else. Other methods are more deadly and costly.
    i guess you've never watched a loved one die from lung cancer then? not quitting is the deadliest thing you could do.

Leave a comment:

• Barley
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    you can't stop yourself thinking about it. Just have to grit your teeth through the cravings and use the mints/gum/inhaler/mists etc whilst thinking "This will make me a better person".
    10 months on I still get cravings, usually at the start of a drinking session but they're gone by the time I'm into my 2nd pint and I've found my drinking legs.

One thing I did do though was change my drink of choice. Off the lagers now and on to bitter (unless the only bitter on offer is London pride)
    Cheers both.

Tonight is my first night of drinking but wont be with any other smokers, dont think it'll be an issue, feel ive done the hard bit but agree there will be many times ahead. Its amazing how many activities you associate with having a ciggy.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    One enjoys the temporary endorphin rush that is basically a reaction to you poisoning your body.
    ]

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I got one of these

Electronic Cigarettes |Electric Cigarettes : E Cigarette Direct

quite a few other people I know have one and we are all happy with price n quality!
    Many thanks for the link - I've just ordered the "de luxe" kit

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post

Stop thinking about it (Don't think about elephants). ...
    Damn - Now I'll be thinking about elephants for the rest of the day!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I got one of these

Electronic Cigarettes |Electric Cigarettes : E Cigarette Direct

quite a few other people I know have one and we are all happy with price n quality!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Stop thinking about it (Don't think about elephants).

There will still be moments ahead where you always had a smoke before, and the first one or two of each such moment can be hard. Be prepared for it to happen, and have courage.

Good luck.
    you can't stop yourself thinking about it. Just have to grit your teeth through the cravings and use the mints/gum/inhaler/mists etc whilst thinking "This will make me a better person".
    10 months on I still get cravings, usually at the start of a drinking session but they're gone by the time I'm into my 2nd pint and I've found my drinking legs.

One thing I did do though was change my drink of choice. Off the lagers now and on to bitter (unless the only bitter on offer is London pride)

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by Barley View Post
    Im on day 22 of not smoking having smoked for the last 20 odd years. Never got this far having tried many times giving up before, hypnotism, zyban, champix etc has never worked for me, though ive had some success for a few days using patches before.
    Stop thinking about it (Don't think about elephants).

There will still be moments ahead where you always had a smoke before, and the first one or two of each such moment can be hard. Be prepared for it to happen, and have courage.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X