• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Working too fast?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working too fast?"

Collapse

• Fleetwood
    replied
    Confucius the contractor he say :
    "If you're given ten days to do a task, take nine days to do it and you're a hero, take eleven days to do it and you're a bozo."

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    My current contract (3 monther) has so little real work that I'd done it all within the first week.

The secret is to release it to the client in small batches over the duration of the contract. This leaves plenty of time for other activities and allows the PM to think he had it all perfectly planned.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet
    Can you work too fast or hard on a contract?
    Yes

Is it shooting yourself in the foot?
    Absolutely, you p1ss off the PM as his timescales are shown to be wrong, which is a career limiting thing to happen for them, and generally it is the PM who signs the timesheets

Answers please
    No problemo.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Is it better to get the job done quickly and have nothing to do? Or pace yourself and keep everyone sweet?

I blame New Labour and Blue Labour and The Liberals in case you wondered

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Sometimes I work so fast that I become invisible and my colleagues can't see me. A bit like those blokes in Star Trek. Zeitghost will have the details.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    I tend to finish exactly on time.

If you have to work hard then you've screwed up either with the negotiation or managing the work. I rarely work "hard" as I don't want to set a standard (my productivity is nearly 200% of the permie scum as I've not been demoralised into the pitiful slog whilst on a contract).

Leave a comment:

• Bovvered
    replied
    Don't know what projects some people work on but 80% of my contracts are balls to the wall big scale systems with not much time for reading CUK.

Leave a comment:

• n3il123
    replied
    well on the contract that I am in at the moment it seems the slower you go the happier the pm is.. but then she is a contractor too.. saves searching jobserve I guess..

Leave a comment:

• el duder
    replied
    faster?

not on my current contract, the faster the better...

even if it does mean sacrificing quality. he just dont give too ****s.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    started a topic Working too fast?

Working too fast?

Can you work too fast or hard on a contract?

Is it shooting yourself in the foot?

Answers please

Working...
X