• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: IBM Bladecentre-H

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IBM Bladecentre-H"

Collapse

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    Seeing a lot of clients and bigco's turning their back on blades now, going back to rackmounts. lack of flexibility in i/o slots and cpu sockets.

Get yourself a small stack of rackmount jobbies
    P770 or P790, back of the net!

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Seeing a lot of clients and bigco's turning their back on blades now, going back to rackmounts. lack of flexibility in i/o slots and cpu sockets.

Get yourself a small stack of rackmount jobbies

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Great for business but not much fun for a tinkerer.
    You'd be surprised what you can do with an i these days. All you need for database and web apps on one box, and you don't need to spend £18000 either...

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    AS400 and whatever it's called now, IBM i I think, is/was/may well be the canines gonads, set it and forget it, a real working black box, I know very little about it except what I just said.
    Great for business but not much fun for a tinkerer.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Stop mucking about with blades, get something decent...

IBM eServer AS/400 i5 9406-550 Server & Storage System, Arrays, HDD, Cards | eBay
    AS400 and whatever it's called now, IBM i I think, is/was/may well be the canines gonads, set it and forget it, a real working black box, I know very little about it except what I just said.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Stop mucking about with blades, get something decent...

IBM eServer AS/400 i5 9406-550 Server & Storage System, Arrays, HDD, Cards | eBay

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I'm just 'helping' a guy online who's bought two JS20's on Ebay, hoping to put RHEL on them or AIX if he can't. I've asked if he has the the Blade chassis, management module(s), etc, gone very quiet.....

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Harmonic View Post
    BladeCenter load balances across them and since PSUs are more efficient under heavier loads it does save a bit.
    Surely load balancing means lower average load per PSU and thus lower efficiency? Perhaps they just want to avoid running single PSU at top level which might not be as efficient as some mid point.

Leave a comment:

• Harmonic
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Inactive power supplies should not use much power because not a lot should be drawn through them.
    BladeCenter load balances across them and since PSUs are more efficient under heavier loads it does save a bit.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Harmonic View Post
    You can save power by pulling half the power supplies and running it in non-redundant mode
    Inactive power supplies should not use much power because not a lot should be drawn through them.

Leave a comment:

• Harmonic
    replied
    I had the dubious title of "BladeCenter Champion" when IBM launched it. The BC-H is a bit of a power monster. You can save power by pulling half the power supplies and running it in non-redundant mode but the fans go to 100% and anyone within a couple of miles thinks Concorde is back. You should also advise ladies in skirts to beware standing directly behind when that happens.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Blades is a nice idea
    Just don't bring one to a gunfight.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Yup - three phase! Does that three times more leccy - I've no idea!?
    You might get old bill knocking on yer door to check how many plants you have in your house.

Source: Welcome to cannabis mansion: Huge drugs farm found in £850,000 house on 'millionaire's row' | Mail Online

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    They were three phase commando sockets with leads as thick as your thumb. I had some e4500's (5) for a while but the village kept blowing transformers and i looked at my electric bill

I would like a look at one of these arm super computers that dell took over. They look fairly clever...
    Yup - three phase! Does that three times more leccy - I've no idea!?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Aye - blades also not saving much money and much harder to resell, plus they are not suitable for large IO scenarios where lots of disks are necessary.

Now if 64-bit ARM blades that use a LOT less power could become interesting, but that's a few years away...
    Aye but disk would be from SAN but then again - i've no idea what the IO is like on Blades, is there fibre, NPIV?

The ones we have are 64-bit POWER6/7 and I hear POWER7 is quite 'green' but I suspect that's marketing bollocks...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X