• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jamaica vows to drop Queen as head of state"

Collapse

• TiroFijo
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    N
    My only fear would be we end up with a President of England (hopefully the Scots will be long gone by then) Mr Tony Blair type non-entity which is just plain wrong, so we would need to think seriously of what we put in place of a constitutional Monarch

HTH
    I think the Scots should stay, just to annoy you if for nothing else.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Is this another example of honkys using their superior "Divide & Conquer" skills?

Yeah (parts of) Jamaica are quite pretty but if they want to leave the Commonwealth then **** 'em.
    They don't want to leave the Commonwealth.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Not all bad

The Government of Jamaica has a long history of democratic traditions and freedom of expression. Overall the Jamaican Government has respect for the human rights of its citizens. There are some areas of concern, including extra-judicial killings committed by members of the security forces, poor prison and jail conditions, inadequate levels of prosecution of police suspected of involvement in crimes, an overburdened judicial system and frequent lengthy delays in trials, trafficking in persons, and violence against suspected or known homosexuals.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    **** 'em and **** their sugar we buy preferentially from them in vast quantities to bolster their economy, and which contributes to the obesity "epidemic" in the UK.

I think for that reason alone, a threat to switch sugar suppliers or introduce a much-needed sugar tax in the UK, we might find this proposal is quietly buried in due course.
    what about the bananas?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post

Is this another example of honkys using their superior "Divide & Conquer" skills?

Yeah (parts of) Jamaica are quite pretty but if they want to leave the Commonwealth then **** 'em.
    **** 'em and **** their sugar we buy preferentially from them in vast quantities to bolster their economy, and which contributes to the obesity "epidemic" in the UK.

I think for that reason alone, a threat to switch sugar suppliers or introduce a much-needed sugar tax in the UK, we might find this proposal is quietly buried in due course.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Didn't the Aussie's want to do the same thing? And its now faded away (I think). this may have just been a trial balloon.
    The Aussies can decide for themselves, but once its gone it's gone forever and what replaces it becomes interesting

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Didn't the Aussie's want to do the same thing? And its now faded away (I think). this may have just been a trial balloon.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Kate with Pippa by her side would make a great Queen should, heavens forbid, Her Majesty leaves us ...

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Send another Type 45 destroyer to their port and invite PM for a chat on board.

Troll
    Not that arsed about maintaining the Commonwealth and as others have said if it reduces the amount of Yardies coming to these shores it would be beneficial

My point was that a 85 year old woman doesn't have that much time left and historically (especially in the war years) she was a positive for the nation it would have been polite to have left these kind of discussions until her passing and then let each nation decide for themselves whether to continue with Charlie or not

My only fear would be we end up with a President of England (hopefully the Scots will be long gone by then) Mr Tony Blair type non-entity which is just plain wrong, so we would need to think seriously of what we put in place of a constitutional Monarch

HTH

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Send another Type 45 destroyer to their port and invite PM for a chat on board.

Troll

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    does that mean we can stop those gun running drug smuggling yardies from coming in then

is this new jamaican woman related to diane abbott by anychance?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    That would bugger up our drug imports.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Maginty
    replied
    Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 8 June 2022, 17:41.

Leave a comment:

• TiroFijo
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Would have been more respectful if she and every nation (including the UK) in the Commonwealth could have waited until the Queen passed away and then held a referendum

Leave a comment:

Working...
X