• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Online eye tests

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Online eye tests"

Collapse

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Just try the cheap 'supermarket' glasses first. Most people start to get a bit long-sighted as middle age approaches, and need 'reading glasses'. It's just your lenses getting a bit stiffer and the ring of muscles that 'squeeze' them when you try to focus close-up wearing out a bit.

If you can still see perfectly into the distance, but have trouble focussing on something less than, say, a yard away, then a cheap pair of +1.25 or +5 may do the trick. Just try them, they will either work or they won't.

If they don't then see the optician.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    They will try to sell you specs at the end but you don't have to buy any and they will also try not to give you your prescription in a written form (as you could go elsewhere then) and I've yet to manage to prise this document out of them successfully. They say 'come back when X is here' or 'we will post it', etc, but nothing ever happens even though they are legally obliged to hand it over..
    As I wear contact lenses as well and have had eye tests separate from my contact lense test (see post above) any optician who does this loses more money from me then they gain by not handing it over and being awkward. So in one Boots store the actual optician actually came out to give me the prescription when the shop assistant refused to when I insisted they were legally obliged to.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Under The Health and Safety(Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992 if you spend a significant amount of your working time on a VDU your company is legally obliged to provide a sight test for you and pay towards optical devices needed for your eyes for this work.

There is a long discussion about this somewhere which you can find using search but the crux of the matter is you can:
    1. Claim for your sight test as long as the optician makes it clear on the receipt/prescription what the test was for
    2. Can claim for the element of glasses needed to do the VDU work. This can be all of it if you are long sighted or part of it if you need bifocals/multifocals.

You can't claim for contact lenses/contact lense tests except in rare circumstances, and if you wear glasses normally then you can't claim for the glasses.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I wondered if there might be such a thing as an online eye test.
    Can you read this?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    You're better off going to a proper ophthalmic optician who will do a zillion groovy tests on your eyes for little money. Lights shone and jets of air squirted, retinas scrutinised etc. And an eye test or 10 thrown in too. A veritable fun packed 30 minutes. They will try to sell you specs at the end but you don't have to buy any and they will also try not to give you your prescription in a written form (as you could go elsewhere then) and I've yet to manage to prise this document out of them successfully. They say 'come back when X is here' or 'we will post it', etc, but nothing ever happens even though they are legally obliged to hand it over. I imagine the test is a bit of a loss leader if you get one of the highly qualified bods, which you would ideally as they are pretty clued up.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Mind you, the free eye test at Tesco opticians sounds good, as long as they provide the quantitative results.
    They tell you what's up with your eyes, if that's what you mean

Had no pressure, but they wouldn't give me my PD (which you need to be able to order glasses online). Not a problem, as I knew what it was, but annoying that she wouldn't measure it unless I was ordering glasses from them.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    one of the comments:

I got one question wrong out of 100, and it said "You may well have necrotising polyneurotic ocular blastoma, and should urgently visit your nearest Boots opticians to be fitted with bifocals
    Just the kind of thing I was trying to avoid

Mind you, the free eye test at Tesco opticians sounds good, as long as they provide the quantitative results.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    These days I occasionally find printed text isn't as clear as it might be, and on a bad day it can be downright blurred.
    Yes, I've been finding that occasionally Prittlewell in Essex isn't as near as it might be, and on a bad day it can be far

what else where you saying ?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    These days I occasionally find printed text isn't as clear as it might be, and on a bad day it can be downright blurred.

Not really wanting to make a special trip to an opticians, and being pressured into buying an expensive pair of specs I might not need
    Tesco Opticians do free eye tests (or it's a claimable expense if you pay somewhere).

I get my eyes done there, then go to Ciliary Blue and have an old frame reglazed with the new prescription if necessary. Saves a fortune over buying in store.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    That my friend, is beacuase you are a cum bucket and a half. The balance of nature.
    Actually, I'm happy with that - shucks!!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Actually, that could be it. 10cc my arse, I do a bucket and a half....
    That my friend, is beacuase you are a cum bucket and a half. The balance of nature.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Actually I regret the use of 'my arse' there, seems gay...

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Are you jizzing in your eyes?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    If you masturbate enough you *can* get them back to normal, I've been trying for ages but they just get worse.
    Are you jizzing in your eyes?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X