• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New Year

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New Year"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by GeorgeB View Post
    I dont think thats where the Public word comes from!

Is a public house not so named because it is free to sell any beer it chooses and is not restricted by a particular brewery?
    No, that is called a "Free House"

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeB
    replied
    I dont think thats where the Public word comes from!

Is a public house not so named because it is free to sell any beer it chooses and is not restricted by a particular brewery?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I haven't done New Year since the whole millennium debacle. Paid a fortune to get into a pub in Oxford, which was mostly empty for the night because most people had more sense.

I'll probably stay in by myself with a bottle of wine, find some film to watch, and make a point of going to bed at 11:55pm.
    Paying and entrance fee to get into a pub is in breach of its licence. A public house is open to the public; it is not a club.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I haven't done New Year since the whole millennium debacle. Paid a fortune to get into a pub in Oxford, which was mostly empty for the night because most people had more sense.

I'll probably stay in by myself with a bottle of wine, find some film to watch, and make a point of going to bed at 11:55pm.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    ...I'd guess this was a sockie.
    Inocrrect. I did some serious Lisp porgramming this Christmas and this is the result.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    I'm off to a wedding on New Year's Eve.

Quite a nice change, should last into New Year's Day.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru mutant clone bot View Post
    !!/................................Beginning of transmission--

I look forwards to rolling out my new DayTrade v2.0 component featuring the MaximizeProfit() method to increase my income exponentially. The financial markets won't know what has hit them!

Look on with envy, cretins!

--End of transmission................................/!!
    If I didn't know better I'd guess this was a sockie.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru mutant clone bot
    replied
    Last edited by sasguru mutant clone bot; 26 April 2014, 18:11.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Yep, I know that, been there, not done it! Last time I was in Hamburg I ended up at a live sex show on the Reeperbahn with 3 women (all techie management from Telekom) and got kicked out of the show for laughing too much and refusing to pay 35 smackers for a beer. Ended up in an old boys pub (the best) drinking with Hamburgers, great night. Will probably go to Parlament (great eaterie under the Rathaus) and Old Commercial. Will also visit Spicys (spice museum) and Beatlemania (big museum dedicated to the Rolling Stones.)
    We went to Das Parlament - was ok but didn't rate it that highly really, possibly my German buddy over-egged it.

The Mo-grill sausage stand on Monckebergstrasse, hmmmm!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    And it's NOT the Reperbahn, it's some street round the back. Reperbahn is boring, lines of lap dancing clubs and fast food joints....

Hamburg is great tho - try the Fischmarkt at Landungsbrucken on Sunday morning about 7:00am, still a party going on from the night before, beer still flowing, feels very wrong!
    Yep, I know that, been there, not done it! Last time I was in Hamburg I ended up at a live sex show on the Reeperbahn with 3 women (all techie management from Telekom) and got kicked out of the show for laughing too much and refusing to pay 35 smackers for a beer. Ended up in an old boys pub (the best) drinking with Hamburgers, great night. Will probably go to Parlament (great eaterie under the Rathaus) and Old Commercial. Will also visit Spicys (spice museum) and Beatlemania (big museum dedicated to the Rolling Stones.)

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Might check out a local jazz bar where bands start at midnight.
    Nice.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Quiet one this year.

Still plenty of good food and wine though.

Might check out a local jazz bar where bands start at midnight.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Finish work sometime tomorrow afternoon and drive home. Pack my bags for Friday and get a train to Hamburg where I shall be partying until Tuesday. Sadly Frau D. (and another couple) are coming with me so I can't do any really naughty stuff although there is a road in Hamburg where women aren't allowed so I could just 'accidentally' get lost...
    And it's NOT the Reperbahn, it's some street round the back. Reperbahn is boring, lines of lap dancing clubs and fast food joints....

Hamburg is great tho - try the Fischmarkt at Landungsbrucken on Sunday morning about 7:00am, still a party going on from the night before, beer still flowing, feels very wrong!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I will be driving up to Rivington with the missus. She will have a flask of hot toddy and I will have my binos.

At midnight the fireworks will go up in Bolton, in the distance will be Manchester and through the binos, Liverpool.

I will see if I can get a vid for youse guys

Binos?

Binos - Wikipédia

My god EO has become a French Hippy. Burn him!!!!

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I will be driving up to Rivington with the missus. She will have a flask of hot toddy and I will have my binos.
    Ahh, Rivvy! You going up to the Pike? Tis said you can see five Kingdoms from up there on a (rare) clear day;

England
    Wales
    Scotland
    Ireland
    Isle of Man

Personally I think it's bollocks, you're lucky if you can see Horwich...

Come to think of it there's no way to see Ireland or Scotland either, surely too far. The things you get told as kids and just believe, like my dad told me the long planted traffic islands around Bolton Town Hall are giant's graves and spaghetti is made of worms.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X