• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Decent Headphones?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Decent Headphones?"

Collapse

• Ravello
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    AKG or Beyerdynamics.
    Over-Ear - Head-Fi.org Community

Sennheiser are alright but IMO poorly made and not as long lasting.
    Wow there is a whole new world out there for the true headphone connoisseur! FWIW I like the Denons as they're seemingly made from wood.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    I bought these for the studio as they were cheap and would do for singers being recorded with a backing track. Amazing value for money at around £40.

RVH95 Studio Monitor Headphones

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    AKG or Beyerdynamics.
    Over-Ear - Head-Fi.org Community

Sennheiser are alright but IMO poorly made and not as long lasting.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    OK they don't seem to make the exact ones I have any more, this seems to be this years version:

Sennheiser UK - HD 558

I also have some of these Sennheiser UK - HD 280 PRO which aren't actively noise cancelling but block out noise like ear muffs.

I bought the missus some cordless ones a while ago as well

They all go around the ear rather than on top of it which I find a lot more comfortable, it does make them bulkier though. I wasn't keen on the AKG ones as they mostly sit on top.

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Mmmm
    I think you have a different type of vice in mind...

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravello View Post
    There's a good way to have your head in a vice?
    Mmmm

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    These are excellent:

ESP950 Electrostatic Headphones - full size headphones - headphones - products - koss headphones

Sadly, wearing them is like having your head in a vice, and not in a good way.
    There's a good way to have your head in a vice?

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I have some sennheiser ones, i forget the model but they are comfy and sound excellent IMO. Cost about £100

I would find a shop you can try them on for comfort.
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    WDS

Excellent noise cancelling on them as well.
    Ta, I'll have a look.

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by SneakySimon View Post
    Don't buy the Dr Dre - me and a collegue bought a pair and within weeks the volume control on the cable had broken, the headphones had come apart needing some glue and the sound cancelling is not as good as it could be - the QC3 are a lot better at that.

The sound on the Dr Dre is pretty good, very bass heavy but personally I didn't love them.
    Me neither, my son had been on about getting some for a while and he said he only wanted the in ear ones not the full size i told him to jog on when i saw the price, £69 for in the bud ones, their havin a laugh, especially the way he goes through them.

I went into HMV and tried some and i didn't think they were any better than the cheap ones and then i looked on the shelf and they were next to the Diddy sound and GA GA headphones, The marketing Power of a name hey

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I bought these a few month a go and they still work. Super long lead.

Philips SHP2500/00 Indoor Corded Television Headphones: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Has a volume control too.

Works for me. Not sure what you get by spending 10 times as much.
    I'm not sure either, but I'm deaf in one ear so even stereo is wasted on me..

Allegedly the benefits are noise cancelling, deeper bass, more 'pure' sound etc.

I'm buying them as a gift, and am evidently clueless as to what sounds good or not.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    You do realise that the Dr Dre headphones are sold a price point aimed at premiership footballers, the general public were never meant to wank £350 of benefit money on a 'brand'... or were they.

I work with a guy who bought a pair of 'Monster Beats™' from dealextreme.com for £40, they sound pretty good which makes me suspect they came out of the same Chinese factory just via a different door.

Leave a comment:

• SneakySimon
    replied
    Dr Dre Beats

Don't buy the Dr Dre - me and a collegue bought a pair and within weeks the volume control on the cable had broken, the headphones had come apart needing some glue and the sound cancelling is not as good as it could be - the QC3 are a lot better at that.

The sound on the Dr Dre is pretty good, very bass heavy but personally I didn't love them.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I have some sennheiser ones, i forget the model but they are comfy and sound excellent IMO. Cost about £100

I would find a shop you can try them on for comfort.
    WDS

Excellent noise cancelling on them as well.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Cable length 2.1m

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    go on treat yourself

Buy Monster Beats Pro by Dr. Dre Studio, On-Ear Headphones, White online at JohnLewis.com

Leave a comment:

Working...
X