• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: How Rude!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How Rude!"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Oh, and when agents say 'I just need two references' before they've arranged the interview what they're really asking for is sales leads. If their clientco needs a reference, you can give that AFTER interview.

I had to make this one stand out.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    What you are on now is irrelevant. Market says what your skills are worth. When they ask just say the market rate and ask them how much is on offer. Whatever they answer suck air through your teeth and tell em that is a bit low, but you might consider it if the rest of the package stands up.

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeB
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Standard operating procedure for agents. He was only interested in the salary of the job you've just left (or are about to leave) at the last company on your CV, so he could call them offering to place someone for a similar amount.
    I'm starting to pick up on this lol. Some agents who are very nice to talk to, but lots of questions about size of team, name of manager etc etc.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by GeorgeB View Post
    Agent: I've seen your CV on CWJobs, whats your current salary?

BANG - Phone Down

What a complete

Standard operating procedure for agents. He was only interested in the salary of the job you've just left (or are about to leave) at the last company on your CV, so he could call them offering to place someone for a similar amount.

The rest of the conversation was just his way of finding an excuse to end the call.

When you get more familiar with their fishing tactics you'll devise a few answers to at least send them on a fool's errand.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Gotcha,

1. Declare my hourly
    2. Dont mention new to contracting
    3. Dont mention current salary

And aim a bit higher too. £300 seems low even for first time contractor, try more like £400. They get suspicious if you're too cheap.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Gotcha,

1. Declare my hourly

Best if you're a bit blasé about it as well

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeB
    replied
    Gotcha,

1. Declare my hourly

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Noooooooooooooo no no no
    noob error - the agents will eat you alive if they sense that
    Yep, and don't tell them you're new to contracting.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Sure...

My skill set is c#, vb.net, sql, asp.net etc etc
    Rate, 300/pd

To be honest, I would probably accept a lot lower just because this is my first contract and I just want to get the contract ball rolling.

Probably worth noting, I dont have finance experience and also not applying for finance jobs. (Although working in finance would be a dream)
    Noooooooooooooo no no no
    noob error - the agents will eat you alive if they sense that

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Anyway, twice your salary isn't unreasonable seeing as you'll have to pick up the costs an employer would usually pay. Don't worry about one agent putting the phone down; some of them, correction most of them are complete anyway. Not all are, thankfully. I don't know which UK agents are any good, I do know that I wouldn't touch Progressive with a bargepole.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Really? - Just say something like - prefer not to say?
    Yeah, or just add quite a lot to it before you say it.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Sure...

Rate, 300/pd

To be honest, I would probably accept a lot lower just because this is my first contract and I just want to get the contract ball rolling.

Probably worth noting, I dont have finance experience and also not applying for finance jobs. (Although working in finance would be a dream)
    Ask for an hourly rate, not a daily rate; if you do a daily rate they'll screw so-called 'professional days' out of you which means you'll be working umpteen hours a day.

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeB
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Don't tell them your current salary or rate.

Really? - Just say something like - prefer not to say?

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeB
    replied
    Sure...

Rate, 300/pd

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I know this is probably just part of the Contracting fun but this agent calls me up and says...

Agent: I've seen your CV on CWJobs, whats your current salary?
    Me: xxxxxx I'm currently permanent but moving to contracting
    Agent: How much are you looking for?
    Me: xxx
    Agent: WHAT! Thats over double your salary. Way too much for your experience.

BANG - Phone Down

What a complete

By the way, I have over ten years in my field and my asking rate is very average.
    Don't tell them your current salary or rate.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X