• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Logicack sacking 1300 people"

Collapse

• milanbenes
    replied
    as far as I understand dr reed did well timing the selling of his shares back in early 2000's

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    "The warning, issued to CUK last night by a financial IT staffing boss"

I love this quote. Have you been hanging around dark basement garages Admin looking for a man called Deep throat again!

Leave a comment:

• Notascooby
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    CMG never made anyone redundant. It was a badge of honour for them. The crap hit the fan after they waisted a pile of cash buying Admiral and ended up going cap in hand to dr reed...

All down hill from there.
    Ex-CMGer and what a great place to work - until the Admiral spreadsheet management team came in. I took great pleasure posting the salaries of all CMGers on the Logica outlook express chat room when we were taken over to shut them up about the rumour that everyone in CMG was overpaid. Needless to say, it didn't stay up there for long.

Contacted some people still at Logica after reading this thread - they'd heard nothing about it!!

Somethings never change... The company is going to the wall and will likely be bought up by the likes of Wipro or Tata.
    Last edited by Notascooby; 14 December 2011, 16:53. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    my first job was at log, I learn't .net there and then left and went contracting

I can't say a bad word for log

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Seeing as they seem to do this with metronomic regularity, perhaps something they've learned from the CMG days, why do people ever bother joining them?
    CMG never made anyone redundant. It was a badge of honour for them. The crap hit the fan after they waisted a pile of cash buying Admiral and ended up going cap in hand to dr reed...

All down hill from there.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Yup, am sure the market is the same here and that we are just at this particular point of the cycle again. May be a year or two until things look to recover though IMO, we ain't nowhere near out of the woods yet. 2012 could be an interesting year.
    "The warning, issued to CUK last night by a financial IT staffing boss"

I love this quote. Have you been hanging around dark basement garages Admin looking for a man called Deep throat again!

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    There seems to be a big shortage of testers about, both permie and contract. Long may it continue

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    My father told me that to make a good living, it's best to either do something nobody else CAN do, or something nobody else WANTS to do. Seeing as my intellect precludes the former, I ended up doing the latter.
    A sound move.

The problem with something nobody else CAN do is that unless you find a good niche, the market will find alternatives.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Yep, and here in NL when sacked permies go on the freelance market they do so without calculating the business costs like insurance, transport etc, so they offer themselves at stupidly low rates thinking they're going to be quids in (or euros in) at 35 euros per hour. It generally takes 4-5 months for the new contractors to realise they're going bust and start looking for a permie job and for the clients to realise they've hired useless numpties, then things sort themselves out again. Nothing to panic about.
    Yup, am sure the market is the same here and that we are just at this particular point of the cycle again. May be a year or two until things look to recover though IMO, we ain't nowhere near out of the woods yet. 2012 could be an interesting year.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Not only more contractors joining the market but recently dumped permies tend to muscle in on contracts when there is little choice. As the CUK news this morning said, not only does it increase competition but it can also help put downward pressure on rates.

Banking IT contractors 'face further rate drops' :: Contractor UK
    Yep, and here in NL when sacked permies go on the freelance market they do so without calculating the business costs like insurance, transport etc, so they offer themselves at stupidly low rates thinking they're going to be quids in (or euros in) at 35 euros per hour. It generally takes 4-5 months for the new contractors to realise they're going bust and start looking for a permie job and for the clients to realise they've hired useless numpties, then things sort themselves out again. Nothing to panic about.

Some dicksplat I came across last time this happened told me 'wow, if I add this BTW (Dutch VAT) to my invoice and then I get 19% more!' Needless to say, after a very short time he had an expensive disagreement with the taxman.
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 14 December 2011, 13:40.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Does this mean there will be more skilled people on the market to contend with?
    Not only more contractors joining the market but recently dumped permies tend to muscle in on contracts when there is little choice. As the CUK news this morning said, not only does it increase competition but it can also help put downward pressure on rates.

Banking IT contractors 'face further rate drops' :: Contractor UK

"Recruitment in other sectors is meanwhile flat", she said. "[So] daily rates will drop further, as recently unemployed full-time employees join the contractor ranks."

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    I'd have to agree even though I am bias, I've been testing for about 6 years myself. What made you choose testing instead of staying a DBA?
    I got sick of all the untested crap that was 'thrown over the wall' for me to keep running as a DBA, started testing it myself and then got offered a (for the time and for my age at the time) well paid job as a tester.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Ah, but not every idiot can break something with the exquisite beauty, timing and general panic causing brilliance that a really good tester can.
    I'd have to agree even though I am bias, I've been testing for about 6 years myself. What made you choose testing instead of staying a DBA?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Testing must be one of the easiest and most infuriating jobs there is
    It doesn't infuriate me as long as I can invoice.

My father told me that to make a good living, it's best to either do something nobody else CAN do, or something nobody else WANTS to do. Seeing as my intellect precludes the former, I ended up doing the latter.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Do you need any skill to be a Tester? Evolution has shown any idiot can break something
    experience has shown that testers write test plans and pm's use the test period as an over run buffer for the rest of the project which means the carefully(?) crafted test plans are never used!

Testing must be one of the easiest and most infuriating jobs there is

Leave a comment:

Working...
X