• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Iran shows film of captured US drone"

Collapse

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Actually business out here is a pleasure. Setting up direct work packages with clients has never been easier.

Currently in negotiation with German consultancy offering support on a lager scale charging a % of the project. Pray for me it pays off and I'll be for the off.
    I was enquiring to your company set up.
    If you are using your UK limited (as your I'm an MD would suggest) then you may be open to double Corporation Tax.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    I do hope your corporate model is properly set up for Germany. Wouldn't want to be paying dual tax now would we.
    Actually business out here is a pleasure. Setting up direct work packages with clients has never been easier.

Currently in negotiation with German consultancy offering support on a lager scale charging a % of the project. Pray for me it pays off and I'll be for the off.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Me too. Your turn.
    I do hope your corporate model is properly set up for Germany. Wouldn't want to be paying dual tax now would we.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    It seems that the Iranians have a Russian electronic warfare system called "Avtobaza" which is some sort of radar and radio emissions detection, location and jamming system. So although they may not have flown the drone it seems likely they bought it down.

Edit: catalogues available here

This 85V6 sounds interesting. I wonder if they have one of those.

• collection, accumulation and comparative
    analysis of electronic situation data for
    different combinations and change dynamics;
    • radio intercept with data recording;
    • technical analysis of radio-emitting source
    signals;
    • automated preparation of standardized
    messages.
    Last edited by doodab; 9 December 2011, 11:09.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    At the risk of getting the thread back on topic

Is anyone just a little bit concerned that UAVs could be hacked - we're talking about aircraft which can carry heavy weapons.

Got my doubts on the Iranian claim. Even without encryption, can you imagine the effort that would be required - getting the right frequencies, knowing the communications protocol - the command protocols - flying the damn thing etc. - the amount of research, preparation and effort that would have to go - just on the off-chance that a US UAV popped over the border.

It sounds too far fetched - my money is on a malfunction - at which point the UAV's protocol made an automatic landing.

Now the Iranians jamming the communicaiton with the US controllers, which might have triggered the auto-landing - that's just about feasible. But that was more luck than anything else for the Iranians.
    The autoland is supposed to take it back to base though. More likely they had help from chinese or russian experts, or really did do it themselves.

I would guess that to an expert making an educated guess as to how the comms work wouldn't be that hard. The iranians do build their own uav so clearly have some idea.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    At the risk of getting the thread back on topic

Is anyone just a little bit concerned that UAVs could be hacked - we're talking about aircraft which can carry heavy weapons.

Got my doubts on the Iranian claim. Even without encryption, can you imagine the effort that would be required - getting the right frequencies, knowing the communications protocol - the command protocols - flying the damn thing etc. - the amount of research, preparation and effort that would have to go - just on the off-chance that a US UAV popped over the border.

It sounds too far fetched - my money is on a malfunction - at which point the UAV's protocol made an automatic landing.

Now the Iranians jamming the communicaiton with the US controllers, which might have triggered the auto-landing - that's just about feasible. But that was more luck than anything else for the Iranians.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    If you think pooperscooper is a complete idiot then give some positive rep.

<--------------------------------- here

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Never begin a sentence with and; thicko.
    AIUI, beginning a sentence with 'and' (or 'or') is Ok but not a paragraph. And that's OK. Or this is?

And this is wrong, BTW

Or, conversely, doing this too...

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    This was looking like a really interesting thread. Then I read the responses.

Is everyone who responded Iranian? The grammatical prose from post 2+ sounds like 'Bobiran' has written it.

Up your game boys.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Me too. Your turn.

Is that the best you can do?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I am a Managing Director.

"Managing directors work with other top-tier executives to oversee the operations of companies and organizations across a variety of industries, such as banking and investment, healthcare, marketing, advertising, information technology and government agencies. They may be responsible for establishing new business contacts, interacting with clients, recruiting employees and developing strategic marketing and sales plans to boost profits and efficiency. They may also coordinate the efforts of various departments such as legal, finance, marketing and sales to meet company goals. Some managing directors may oversee other managers or department heads, and they often report to top executives and the board of directors. "

Your turn.
    Me too. Your turn.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    scooterscot - what exactly your job description is?
    He flits from place to place, applying the fourth-rate maths he learned on this third-rate degree, moving on when the inevitable cock-up occurs.

You see Germany is not as good as getting the best talent from around the world as the UK is, so they have to get our poly dregs.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Wouldn't you like to know. Qui pro quo
    I am a Managing Director.

"Managing directors work with other top-tier executives to oversee the operations of companies and organizations across a variety of industries, such as banking and investment, healthcare, marketing, advertising, information technology and government agencies. They may be responsible for establishing new business contacts, interacting with clients, recruiting employees and developing strategic marketing and sales plans to boost profits and efficiency. They may also coordinate the efforts of various departments such as legal, finance, marketing and sales to meet company goals. Some managing directors may oversee other managers or department heads, and they often report to top executives and the board of directors. "

Your turn.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

Wouldn't you like to know. Qui pro quo

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X