• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Open Source Web-Based File Browser?"

Collapse

• Fleetwood
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac
    Fleety, shouldn't that be dyed-in-the-wool?
    Mordy in "Smartarse" Mode
    Yes. (Really hung-over yesterday)

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope
    err 'cos it's shiny and pays well.
    My god someone worked out how to polish a turd!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I'll drink to that.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    using J2EE

Originally posted by TheMonkey
    God it'd be like eBay, which I've noticed has deteriorated in reliability and quality significantly since they changed from the COM / ISAPI platform it was based on.

I just don't understand why anyone uses J2EE at all - it's such a mess.

err 'cos it's shiny and pays well.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Can you imagine what the BBC website would have been like if they developed it in that bloated pile of tulipe known as Java/J2EE?
    God it'd be like eBay, which I've noticed has deteriorated in reliability and quality significantly since they changed from the COM / ISAPI platform it was based on.

I just don't understand why anyone uses J2EE at all - it's such a mess.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Can you imagine what the BBC website would have been like if they developed it in that bloated pile of tulipe known as Java/J2EE?

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot
    mod_perl is tulipe - Doesn't even work with Apache 2. Permanent perl is taking over (from mod_perl, rather than the world).

P.S. The BBC are stuck with mod_perl for much of their web code, and they're now stuck on some ancient versions of Apache and php
    Rubbish - mod_perl 2 works perfectly with apache 2! So do recent version of PHP which are backwardly compatible.

BBC use CGI/perl rather than mod_perl handlers (although they use mod_perl to accelerate the CGI). They also use SSI. The reason they're using old stuff is because it works so flawlessly and is simple! 99.999% of their hits don't give a monkey's about what technology the site uses and the people who work there use the KISS principle for developing software.

Anyway, I tend to still use Apache 1.3 for a lot of things. Mainly because it's bundled with OpenBSD which I use for anything I can, again because it works flawlessly and is simple.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMonkey
    mod_perl is king and you know it.
    mod_perl is tulipe - Doesn't even work with Apache 2. Permanent perl is taking over (from mod_perl, rather than the world).

P.S. The BBC are stuck with mod_perl for much of their web code, and they're now stuck on some ancient versions of Apache and php

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    I prefer batik, but hardly anyone knows what that means either.
    I thought batik was an SVG image file viewer and editor. Guess I'll have to go and check.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    mod_perl is king and you know it.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac
    I prefer batik, but hardly anyone knows what that means either.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Fleetwood
    A died-in-the-wool geek down the pub (he has a T-shirt with a file-encryption algorithm printed on it) swears by something called Sapphire. (?)
    hth

F in "Mainframe dinosaur" mode

Mordy in "Smartarse" Mode

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Fleetwood
    A died-in-the-wool geek down the pub (he has a T-shirt with a file-encryption algorithm printed on it) swears by something called Sapphire. (?)
    hth

Saphire? Never heard of it! Probably some bastard off-spring of Ruby and a Javabean.

I'm (former) mainframe dinosaur too! MVS sysprog and s3x0 ASM developer many moons ago. Still have my ancient yellow card (c. 1980) pinned to my noticeboard (GX20-1850-4).

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    hth

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by privateeye
    If you narrow down open source to PHP then you will get a load of trash. PHP is used a lot more by amateurs and fewer professionals. The best open source will always come from the same tools (Java, C++ etc) that the professionals use and normally from those that use their open source programs as a marketing tool for example Collabnet the owners of Subversion market a lot of supporting tools for Subversion.
    I see your point, but I needed this to be in PHP simply because PHP is available on 99% of basic web hosting packages whereas Java isn't and C/C++ GCIs are not always an option.

Bob/DP - well, it's like anything else I suppose, use the tool well and in its proper context and you can do good things (yes, even with VB). I think there a bit of snobbery and elitism in the view that because something is easy to use, the end results must be inferior to something that's hard to use.

Clearly, it is also possible to write utter tulipe in any 'hard' language although I find C++ and Perl are particularly enabling in this respect

Leave a comment:

Working...
X