• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Next Weeks Public Sector Strikes"

Collapse

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    No, I mean teachers who are employed for a fixed duration, rather than being employed permanently as a teacher.
    i.e. contractors

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    With the amount of bloody holiday teachers get they can get themselves a bloody summer job to make up the difference.

Workshy layabouts, why not strike on your inset days(another pain in the arse they are for parents).
    Our school will be having an INSET day next Wednesday for those that are on-site.

When I had a summer job working in a theme park, way back when, my manager for the summer was a teacher who did it in his weekends and holidays.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    No, I mean teachers who are employed for a fixed duration, rather than being employed permanently as a teacher.

Even if the teacher has been in the school for a number of years, they aren't necessarily employed on a permanent basis.
    With the amount of bloody holiday teachers get they can get themselves a bloody summer job to make up the difference.

Workshy layabouts, why not strike on your inset days(another pain in the arse they are for parents).

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You mean supply teachers?

Even if the teacher has been in the school for a number of years, they aren't necessarily employed on a permanent basis.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    If a teacher were to take a 6 year olds lunch money, they would be sacked, jailed, villified and lynched.
    They don't need to.

They get a supply of chocolates, scented candles and if they are lucky alcohol twice a year at primary level.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    If they aren't on a permanent contract, then it's much easier to get rid.
    You mean supply teachers?

I know and knew a few of them.

They were employed in different ways i.e. agency, local authority but never directly by the school. Though it may be different outside London and the home counties. Most are young, lots are foreign but there are some doing it near retirement as they avoid dealing with the paperwork. None of them get paid for holidays but they don't mind.

Some of the supply teachers I know/knew tried to avoid certain schools mainly because of:
    1. The head teacher
    2. The teacher they were taking over from who set them sh*t work to give the kids.

Two I know were and are given kids for a term or two while their teachers are having operations, They find it hard work if the teacher, who is less experienced than them, gives them sh*tty lesson plans. They rather do their own as even though it's more work they know the kids learn. Though they prefer if they are given the kids for the later terms in the year until the end of the year as otherwise the kids have to get use to another teacher.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    If a teacher were to take a 6 year olds lunch money, they would be sacked, jailed, villified and lynched.

But committing to unaffordable pensions is basically taking money from future generations anyway - they are the ones that have to pick up the tab - and then not have the same pensions themselves anyway.
    One of the issues which the press and the government ignores is that not all public sector schemes are the same for good reasons i.e. you don't want a 60 year old fireman coming to rescue you there as a 60 year old dinner lady isn't a problem.

Anyway the teachers scheme was suppose to be audited and then the teachers were suppose to be told how much they had to increase their contributions by, change retirement age, etc. This happened before about 12 years ago and they did increase their contributions. However the current government has refused to audit their scheme lumping them in with schemes that everyone knows are clearly in deficit and have been for decades like the Local Government Pension scheme.

Oh and notice how they haven't forced yet forced doctors to have a career average pension, and the NHS pension bill isn't cheap.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    If a banker does it, they get promoted, lauded, a knighthood and bailed out by the taxpayer.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied

But committing to unaffordable pensions is basically taking money from future generations anyway - they are the ones that have to pick up the tab - and then not have the same pensions themselves anyway.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    While it's hard to sack teachers, headteachers do have tricks up their sleeves to get rid of teachers they don't like and they have used them for years.
    If they aren't on a permanent contract, then it's much easier to get rid.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    like what?
    Actually I know teachers who work in the public sector who are made to come in during their summer holidays. They are made to do the paperwork (given to them by the government) the head doesn't want to do while s/he swans off on a long haul holiday.

While it's hard to sack teachers, headteachers do have tricks up their sleeves to get rid of teachers they don't like and they have used them for years.

It's basically telling the person that they are sh*t, giving them all the pupils that are disruptive or can turn disruptive* and then getting them reviewed/lessons sat in by senior staff members constantly.

Another way of getting rid of sh*t teachers is to get funding from the latest government initiative i.e. at the moment turning the school into an academy and then have a restructuring.

And that's just qualified teachers some people never qualify due to these tactics.

*A trick my class used at school and we managed to get rid of a teacher after 1.5 terms of being disruptive. Oddly when we had another teacher doing cover even if they were a slacker in discipline we behaved. Children can be very nasty if a teacher isn't up to the job.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Really, on £26k or whatever it is? And it's not 12 weeks off, it's 12 weeks not in the class-room. You're still expected to do some work.
    like what?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    just been told contractors have to take the day off as no other fecker will be in work on wednesday so we shouldn't have anything to do

no consideration of the 3 "must have project's" i've got to deliver before xmas - straight onto the issue log
    Feck that.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I don't know about your sister's age group, but any public sector worker (not just teachers) within ten years of retirement will not incur any increase in their retirement age or reduction in the pension payments they will receive.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I would sympathise with older employees if they were suddenly told they had lost 20/30-years worth of financial planning and it is too late for them to make up their fund shortfall, but as I understand it the proposed new rules mitigate the change for older employees.
    You understand wrong, then. Or define older as something different than I do.

My sister (who isn't striking next week) has been paying in the maximum allowed for over 20 years now, with a target retirement date, which has now been shifted by another ten years. She can't pay in any more than she already has done, because she's maxed out.

So having budgeted carefully, saved, planned for the retirement in 13 years time, she's now got to work 23 more years until she can retire on the same pension.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X