• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The UK in turn owes hundreds of billions to Germany and Spain."

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    The debts are mostly long term bonds and stuffs; you can't cash em in like lottery tickets you know....
    But none the less not as bad as the headlines try and make it seem.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Well we've seen the blinds, I'm waiting for Germany to to say "all in" to the Euro hold'em contest and we can see who folds...

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    It's all the external debt of government, banks and other companies, and individuals. It's held by all sorts of foreign institutions and individuals. So it's not a case of uk owes france x and vice versa but of tesco owes credit lyonnais owes lloyds owes deutsche bank owes a pension fund owes your granny.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I've looked at that link a few times now but still don't understand how global finance works.

If 'A' owes 'B' £10 and 'B' owes 'A' £9 then it stands to reason that 'A' really owes 'B' £1 no?

I can't be the only one thinking this??
    The debts are mostly long term bonds and stuffs; you can't cash em in like lottery tickets you know....

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    mouth shut and stop posting on this subject.
    Der mouth has been closed ze whole time

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Now I'm really confused I thought it was the other way round.

BBC News - Eurozone debt web: Who owes what to whom?
    Jesus wept.

If you cannot understand that graph and what it represents ( even after several hours ) you really should keep your mouth shut and stop posting on this subject.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I asked myself the same question.

I don't get it.
    I'm sure one of the resident 'experts' will enlighten us.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied

I don't get it.
    I assume it must include the sovereign debt that is owned by various private sector entities, i.e. US banks own X amount of UK govt debt, UK banks own X amount of US govt debt, etc.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

I don't get it.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Now I'm really confused I thought it was the other way round.

BBC News - Eurozone debt web: Who owes what to whom?
    I've looked at that link a few times now but still don't understand how global finance works.

If 'A' owes 'B' £10 and 'B' owes 'A' £9 then it stands to reason that 'A' really owes 'B' £1 no?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Oxo cubes. Ouch.
    You listen to me dearie. Next time a punter says he wants to take you round the back of the service station, you want to run a mile.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Oxo cubes. Ouch.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Met Pacha yet?
    Can't meet the unusual but very specific contract terms. Had a vindaloo last night and normally it leaves me with a terrible tummy for a couple of days - he says he likes the extra lubrication. Today, though, I'm right as rain so he cancelled and is threatening to take me to court for unliquidated damages. I asked the old man where I stand but he told me to use the search function in the top righthand side of the page.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    WGAS?
    You need to get a life and some mates, it's the fooking weekend for chrissakes.
    You're definitely the saddest, loneliest fooker on CUK.
    And I'm guessing you have no middle class resources like a fondness for books or the arts which might help you cope with your lack of friends.
    I'm off to the pub to meet my mates now
    That'll be your 'special mates'. The ones no one else can see ?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    It beats working the streets. It's freezing out here, but Christmas won't pay for itself.
    Met Pacha yet?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X