• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Disabled facilities"

Collapse

• janey
    replied
    Originally posted by privateeye
    When I do PI work yes definately - not when on a normal contract though. In case you haven't grasped it or read it elsewhere I am also a Professional Investigator so get involved in other things not so boring.
    yeh I have seen that mentioned else where, hadn't thought about that aspect of your work... all makes sense now

Leave a comment:

• privateeye
    replied
    Originally posted by janey
    so you carry a camera around with you?
    When I do PI work yes definately - not when on a normal contract though. In case you haven't grasped it or read it elsewhere I am also a Professional Investigator so get involved in other things not so boring.

Leave a comment:

• janey
    replied
    shhhhsh - you'll start it off again

<whispers> it's ok I think everyone has gone home </whispers>

Leave a comment:

• privateeye
    replied
    Can I just point out that I've managed to contribute to a thread without the whole thread tumbling into chaos and innuendo!!!

shhhhsh - you'll start it off again

Leave a comment:

• Pinto
    replied
    yes you can
    Thank you. I only wondered because you made the decision between using and not using the apostrophe in your sentence.

"...back up the camera's. Its no use..."

You're nearly there. Just swap the rules.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• janey
    replied
    The camera does work and I use it for my own protection when threatened with violence on a job. Threatening people calm down significantly when told that every move is being beamed from me to the locked boot of the car - and which car they do not know.
    so you carry a camera around with you?

Leave a comment:

• janey
    replied
    Can I just point out that I've managed to contribute to a thread without the whole thread tumbling into chaos and innuendo!!!

Leave a comment:

• privateeye
    replied
    I guess I'm just a bit sceptical about the whole camera as a deterent ploy
    The camera does work and I use it for my own protection when threatened with violence on a job. Threatening people calm down significantly when told that every move is being beamed from me to the locked boot of the car - and which car they do not know.

Leave a comment:

• Davros
    replied
    Well 25% of all the CCTV cameras in the world are in the UK so naturally crime rates are tumbling here due to their well known and indisputable deterent value.

Oh, I see what you mean.

Leave a comment:

• privateeye
    replied
    Originally posted by Pinto
    privateeye,

may I ask why you go through the extra effort of placing an apostrophe in the word "cameras"?
    yes you can

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    I occasionally use the disabled spaces as the "normal" spaces are often way too narrow for the kinds of car I tend to drive. I even had a long slanging match with a jobsworth at Meadowhall because I took up two normal parking spaces. I could have parked how he wanted and then taken up three, but I thought that was truly idiotic. But he was a car park security guy at Meadowhall so I shouldn't have expected an IQ above the level of a warm croissant, and I was a little bored, and it offered some small excitement to an otherwise dull day which was why I was there in the first place.
    If you park properly, there is a chance that two smart cars will pull up and park either side of your mum truck.

Leave a comment:

• Pinto
    replied
    privateeye,

may I ask why you go through the extra effort of placing an apostrophe in the word "cameras"?

Leave a comment:

• janey
    replied
    Know what you mean Janey, the areas I was thinking about is where it is made so obvious that everything is being recorded and people are around to back up the camera's. Its no use just having concealed camera's they need to be visible to be a deterrent. Our local train station put more obvious camera's in the car park and crime is reduced so they tell us.

Leave a comment:

• privateeye
    replied
    doesn't stop anything from happening, just means they've got evidence for when you take them to court for battering you to within an inch of your life!

(this obviously assumes someone has had the foresight to put a video tape in the recording equipment!)
    Know what you mean Janey, the areas I was thinking about is where it is made so obvious that everything is being recorded and people are around to back up the camera's. Its no use just having concealed camera's they need to be visible to be a deterrent. Our local train station put more obvious camera's in the car park and crime is reduced so they tell us.

Leave a comment:

• janey
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    "But even so... how common is this scenario? does it really justify allocated parking spaces?"

This is the problem when people complain about parking spaces. There are loads because lots of people abuse them. Check in any car park and a fair percentage of the the disabled bays are used by people who should not be there. So the shop adds more. Then people see more disabled spaces and think that its ok for them to use the spaces. Also adding more spaces pushes the normal spaces further away from the shop, further disgruntling people.

What I feel is that the disabled spaces should only be used for people who should be allowed to use them. That is, people who need the extra space for access due to their wheelchair. Anybody using the spaces without displaying a badge should be fined. This includes those who have a badge and who have not displayed it.
    I've no problem with disabled parking spaces and I never park in them but I think the "female only" parking spaces (which is what my comment was based on, not disabled spaces) is perhaps taking things too far.

Wouldn't these spaces lead to further disgruntlement (a word?) and thus further abuse of the existing allocated parking spaces, including the disabled ones?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X