• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Astra or Insignia….."

Collapse

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    The few grand saving pays for a lot of repairs ...

Most mainstream cars are pretty reliable these days anyway and you can get some absolute bargains for under 10k by the looks of things.

I must have had around 20 cars over the last 10-15 years (get bored with them and swap after a year or two at most, some after only a few months due to poor impulse buys ) and only had major problems with two of them, despite averaging over 20k miles annually until recently.

1. TVR Cerbera (They should come with a free AA tow truck. )

2. MG ZS (Cheap runaround, but ignored the dodgy K series engine that will go bang at some point, and it did. )

All other problems have been down to bad luck rather than poor reliability.

e.g. punctures, and a newish BMW 3 series overheating and splitting the coolant tank (on my birthday a few years ago while sat on the M25 car park on my way home for the weekend and 'on a promise' with a nice lass at the other end of the country that I had to cancel ) due to the fan seizing up after leaving it outside a mate's house while we went on holiday, not realising the workmen still building the estate down the road would cover it in dust/sand/grit.

Moral of the story: Even new cars can let you down just as easily as a two grand 'banger'. So save the money and get top notch AA membership that includes a hire car.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Yes. In my experience why buy new when you can get a 3 year old one with average miles for under £5k. Buying new is a hell of a price to pay for peace of mind with the warranty.
    PAH makes a really good point. The few grand saving pays for a lot of repairs ...

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Insignia's got everything, Shampoo to shower gel, Deodorant and aftershave in one all-over smell, Now it's new Insignia — And it's all over now.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Astra Hatch 1.7cdti 125ps se ecoflex £21,719

Insignia Hatch 2.0cdti 130 exclusive ecoflex £21,729

Insignia costs 2p more per mile to run.

Can you afford that?
    £21k for an Astra!!!

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Had to change down on the M4 in South Wales, I think it was a 1.3.......

Yep. Anything less than the VXR is designed to kill the driver and any offspring for being a moron and looking at the economy figures and how 'green' it is.

I often wonder is some dickhead driving at 40 on the motorway (and getting trucks nearly running over the top of them) is doing it by choice or if they're in a woefully underpowered car that seems all too common these days.

The only 'Vauxhall' worth buying is the VXR8. Seems a lot agree as the prices are still north of £15k a year after I started fantasising about it's 6 litre V8, despite high petrol prices and it averaging 20mpg at best.

Maybe it's just a good example of a depreciation static car so a canny buy if you can afford to keep it fed in petrol.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    If only Zoidburg was here, he'd tell you what to get (apart from a Kia C'eed)
    I miss him. His absence makes me glum

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I had a drive in the elite insignia, the sat nav included one. It had all the toys that it's possible to put on them. While it was nice, I still would have a Mondeo if I had to pick between the 2. But I wouldn't buy new. At the dealership on Chester Road (Old Trafford) they had some with delivery miles on the clock and they were thousands less than new ones. As others have said, buy a 3 year old car for 2/3rds of the price and if it breaks down after a year, you can still buy another knowing that you still only have paid 2/3rds of the price of a new one. New cars are a mugs game.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Insignia is actually a far better visually appealing car from Vauxhall. Their other cars are utter crap looking.

For that reason, I would say go for Insignia. It had a good review on Top Gear too so you might even impress that project manager totty you been having problems with.
    If only Zoidburg was here, he'd tell you what to get (apart from a Kia C'eed)

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Insignia is actually a far better visually appealing car from Vauxhall. Their other cars are utter crap looking.

For that reason, I would say go for Insignia. It had a good review on Top Gear too so you might even impress that project manager totty you been having problems with.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Astra Hatch 1.7cdti 125ps se ecoflex £21,719

Insignia Hatch 2.0cdti 130 exclusive ecoflex £21,729

Insignia costs 2p more per mile to run.

Can you afford that?

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    1.7 and 1.9 CDTI (built by IZUZU) good, rest of the car bad, for that kind of mileage you would be better sticking with another focus far better

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    I had an Insignia as a hire car a few months ago, and whilst the interior impressed me, and niceties like automatically putting the lights on when it goes dark, I still couldn't get around the fact that it was so asthmatic to the point where I though there was a problem with it...

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Permie's cars. Avoid.

Next...

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    I can get a Vauxhall Partners discount of 8% off the list price, and interest free finance for 5 years, meaning around £200 over 60 months after I trade in what is left of my Focus.

Prices between new diesel Astra and diesel Insignia are very similar.

However, fuel economy on the Insignia looks pretty pathetic.

Anyone got any recent Vauxhall experience? Especially which of the diesel engines look decent? Mainly motorway driving. 35K per year.It is a heck of a lot cheaper than renting a car, and I don’t fancy the second hand pot luck……
    At that mileage, over that length of time for that amount its not worth it. Infact there is a chance it'll give up completely and be out of warranty before you've even finished paying it off.
    35k miles per year will be 175,000 after 5 years and you'll be £12,000 worse off. Even if the car does survive, you be lucky to get a couple of hundred for it

Whats wrong with keeping the focus?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I had an Insignia on hire and it was fooking shiite......

Had to change down on the M4 in South Wales, I think it was a 1.3.......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X