• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Cooking Salmon

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cooking Salmon"

Collapse

• aussielong
    replied
    There are two good ways I know of.

Lightly season and fry in olive oil. But importantly you have to put a lid on the pan (I use a saucepan lid that is smaller diameter than the frying pan). Do not turn the fish. Leave it for roughly 5 minutes cooking skin side down. You will get a nice crispy skin and the fish will be cooked all the way through.

Or, heat your oven to 250 deg C for about 20 minutes or until it is really hot. Season your fish and put on an oiled baking tray. Turn the oven off just before you put the fish in. Leave the oven door closed for 10-15 mins (you will have to experiment depending on size of fish). The less intense heat does not overdo the flesh. This works really well for bass, bream, etc (where you have a delicate flesh) but will also work for salmon.

You don't want to season fresh fish much. Just salt, pepper, and a bit of decent olive oil.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Fresh wild salmon with a splash of sweet sake mirin and light soy, a scatter of julienned fresh ginger, a drizzle of acacia honey, wrapped in foil and BBQ'd over hickory chips for a few minutes.

Done.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Fresh salmon can be eaten without cooking. Makes very nice sushi. Maybe what you've seen is smoked salmon.
    I would add a degree of caution to that statement NAT: fresh salmon (more likely wild than farmed) may contain parasites that can make you extremely ill.

If you want to eat raw (unsmoked) salmon then I suggest you find "sushi grade" salmon which has been deep frozen (-20°C?) to kill any parasites.

However, speaking to a Waitrose manager last year she said off the record that the salmon quality was probably OK to eat as sushi but couldn't officially say so.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Because if I tried putting the dishes in the washing machine I'd have to go down to Argos for a forty piece dinner set for a tenner again.
    Forty piece?

Like you have enough friends to warrant that many place settings

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Cooking in an oven? Where's the fun in that?
    Because if I tried putting the dishes in the washing machine I'd have to go down to Argos for a forty piece dinner set for a tenner again.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    did this. But in oven.

Perfect.
    Cooking in an oven? Where's the fun in that?

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Product reviews, parenting tips and advice for parents | Mumsnet

HTH BIDI

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Place the fish on two large sheets of aluminum foil. Squeeze on some lemon juice and place the pats of butter on the salmon fillets. Seal the fillets well in the foil, and place the foil packet in the top wire basket of your electric dishwasher. DO NOT ADD SOAP OR DETERGENT. Close the dishwasher door, set the dishwasher on the hottest wash cycle, complete with drying cycle, and let it run through a full cycle. When the cycle is complete the fish will be cooked just right.

Wine X Magazine
    did this. But in oven.

Perfect.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Stick it in the dishwasher

Place the fish on two large sheets of aluminum foil. Squeeze on some lemon juice and place the pats of butter on the salmon fillets. Seal the fillets well in the foil, and place the foil packet in the top wire basket of your electric dishwasher. DO NOT ADD SOAP OR DETERGENT. Close the dishwasher door, set the dishwasher on the hottest wash cycle, complete with drying cycle, and let it run through a full cycle. When the cycle is complete the fish will be cooked just right.

Wine X Magazine

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Read on. Cheers.
    If your salmon is dry then you are over cooking it. It's an oily fish and it's not hard to roast it in it's own oils. I learned to do it in a knackered old BT electric oven at a telephone exchange. It only had two heat settings off and hell!

Listen for the oils sizzling as they run out of the fish.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    T
    It's much harder to cook a fish in a foil package as the fish often ends up over done and too wet.
    You can open the package for the last couple of minutes and the fish will dry out a little... sorry, could someone direct me to the single entendre thread?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    The dryness will depend on If the salmon is wild or farmed as farmed salmon tends to have a very high oil content. So don't go near a farmed salmon with oil.

I would wash the fish and pat dry.
    Place it on a non stick tray and sprinkle with salt pepper and (optionally 5 spice or the African BBQ spice that you can get from sainsbury's)
    Then grill it for about five minutes or till golden brown on top then place it into a hot (230ish) oven to finish off.

You will get a nice roasted salmon with a crisp crust on top.
    Serve it with steamed veg and new potatoes.

It's much harder to cook a fish in a foil package as the fish often ends up over done and too wet.
    Read on. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Depends how bit a piece you have, but if it's for two, I wrap it in a loose but sealed foil parcel with a decent splash of wine (nothing too dry, pinot grigio is good) with tarragon, dill, black pepper and a knob of butter and put it in a 180 degree oven for 20 minutes. Don't use lemon or lime, it will kill the sublety of the salmon.

Or google Nigel Slater - he's a genius at simple cooking...
    It's about 16 inches. Quite a large bit to be honest. I cooked one before which had a sauce/baste over it which was nice but a little dry.

Do I need to cut it or just wrap the whole thing?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Salmon, oats and mustard is my preferred combination.

Something along these lines.

Oats and You - Recipes - Mustard Salmon Crust with Roasted Peppers and Beans - Quaker Oats UK

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    The dryness will depend on If the salmon is wild or farmed as farmed salmon tends to have a very high oil content. So don't go near a farmed salmon with oil.

I would wash the fish and pat dry.
    Place it on a non stick tray and sprinkle with salt pepper and (optionally 5 spice or the African BBQ spice that you can get from sainsbury's)
    Then grill it for about five minutes or till golden brown on top then place it into a hot (230ish) oven to finish off.

You will get a nice roasted salmon with a crisp crust on top.
    Serve it with steamed veg and new potatoes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X