• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A successful European economy!"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Anyway at this rate of growth they'll be the richest country in Europe in one generation.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Would people stop talking up Turkey like it's the best thing since sliced bread.

It has an appalling human rights record.

Religious nutters in abundance only too keen to put martyr you.

Earthquakes are plenty.
    As long as they have the Money - do you think the Markets care 2p for Human Rights.

Nope - Rights are all Wrong - just look at the way Sarkozty was crawling to China last week - if Gaddafii was still in power I bet he would be asking for help from there ...

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    They're not booming because some people decided to go there for their hols rather than Greece, you plonker.
    A lot of the holidaymakers there are (new) Russians and boy you want to see them, or not. Fat, ugly, bejewelled, pig ignorant, no manners and thats just the women...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Would people stop talking up Turkey like it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Earthquakes are plenty.
    Food there gave me and wife such bad guts had to tulip into a plastic bag at the hospital and have all sorts of tests for severe food poisoning. Apart from that and the mostly unfriendly people it was great.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

Earthquakes are plenty.

Leave a comment:

• TinTrump
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    True. Rather silly of some EU governments to block Turkey's EU membership. We need them a lot more than they need us.
    There is a view that the UK backs Turkish membership as it would actually hinder EU integration (the once "Sick Man of Europe", of which only about 3% of its territory is in Europe). That's why France and Germany are chief amongst those reluctant to progress its membership.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Bodrum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lots of flights to Bodrum from most UK airports.
    Looks good and plenty of cultural stuff too.
    Cheers, looks like I've sadly been neglecting Turkey in the holiday stakes.
    Maybe next year will be Turkey year.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Where's Bodrum?
    As it happens Istanbul is one of my favourite cities.
    For once I'm going to take your post seriously - I think a trip next spring is on the cards and an investigation into the property market there.
    Bodrum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lots of flights to Bodrum from most UK airports.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Property is still cheap in Turkey, and the pound has not weakened as much against the Turkish Lira as other major currencies.

£60K will buy you a 3 bed villa with pool about 20 mins from Bodrum airport near the sea.
    Where's Bodrum?
    As it happens Istanbul is one of my favourite cities.
    For once I'm going to take your post seriously - I think a trip next spring is on the cards and an investigation into the property market there.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Lets see now. It says in 2008 Turkey got 21 Billion from tourism. Itsannual GDP is sized as about 1 Trillion (wikipedia).
    So in fact tourism is a minute, almost negligible, part of the Turkish economy.

HTH, BIDI
    Where did I say tourism was responsible for the growth economy? I just mentioned the fact that the Euro caused a rise in Turkey's tourism because it became more expensive in Greece. Reading not your strong suit eh?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Property is still cheap in Turkey, and the pound has not weakened as much against the Turkish Lira as other major currencies.

£60K will buy you a 3 bed villa with pool about 20 mins from Bodrum airport near the sea.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    "Tourism is one of the most dynamic and fastest developing sectors in Turkey. According to travel agencies TUI AG and Thomas Cook, 11 of the 100 best hotels of the world are located in Turkey.[55] In 2005, there were 24,124,501 visitors to the country, who contributed $18.2 billion to Turkey's revenues, with an average expenditure of $679 per tourist.[56] In 2008, the number of visitors rose to 30,929,192, who contributed $21.9 billion to Turkey's revenues.[57] Over the years, Turkey has emerged as a popular tourist destination for many Europeans, competing with Greece, Italy and Spain. Resorts in provinces such as Antalya and Muğla (which are located on the Turkish Riviera) have become very popular among tourists."

I'm not saying it's the only reason but its a part of it.
    Lets see now. It says in 2008 Turkey got 21 Billion from tourism. Itsannual GDP is sized as about 1 Trillion (wikipedia).
    So in fact tourism is a minute, almost negligible, part of the Turkish economy.

HTH, BIDI

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    They're not booming because some people decided to go there for their hols rather than Greece, you plonker.
    "Tourism is one of the most dynamic and fastest developing sectors in Turkey. According to travel agencies TUI AG and Thomas Cook, 11 of the 100 best hotels of the world are located in Turkey.[55] In 2005, there were 24,124,501 visitors to the country, who contributed $18.2 billion to Turkey's revenues, with an average expenditure of $679 per tourist.[56] In 2008, the number of visitors rose to 30,929,192, who contributed $21.9 billion to Turkey's revenues.[57] Over the years, Turkey has emerged as a popular tourist destination for many Europeans, competing with Greece, Italy and Spain. Resorts in provinces such as Antalya and Muğla (which are located on the Turkish Riviera) have become very popular among tourists."

I'm not saying it's the only reason but its a part of it.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    When Greece joined the Euro it made it more expensive for tourists so they instead go to Turkey instead of Greece, where you get more bang for your buck.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Has its problems but aware of them, and on the right track.

Top of the class for improvement

Turkey's Economy Expands 11% - WSJ.com
    When Greece joined the Euro it made it more expensive for tourists so they instead go to Turkey instead of Greece, where you get more bang for your buck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X